A miracle happened, son is interested in T.......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: A miracle happened, son is interested in T.......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:06 am:

My 23 year old son who is very computer savy (software engineer) asked me to have him over next time I do a T project so he can help me with it. On the one hand, I just did all the upkeep needed while preparing for the wedding yesterday. I am not sure what Lizzy needs at this point that would make a good project for him to help me with? I will think of something. I just remembered the stuck fuel bulb issue, problem solved.

What an opportunity. I was always interested in mechanical anything. My son was not that way unless it had a computer on it. Am glad he is interested. We will have to do a simple task and go for a test drive to someplace fun. Maybe go through a coffee drive thru where the cute girls work so he can flirt with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:35 am:

I can relate to what you are saying Erich. I have four fine sons (all in their 40's) and I wouldn't change any of them, but I certainly wouldn't mind if they took more of an interest in my 3 Model T's and the Model A. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what exactly fuels my ongoing and never-ending interest and fascination with these old Fords, ever since my first one (a '28 Model A coupe) in high school. But whatever it is, I'm afraid that not much of it has rubbed off on my four sons. But who knows, one or more of them may become more interested yet.

You got me to thinking, what WOULD serve to "stimulate" a young fellow's interest in these old Model T's? Maybe a complete and thorough lube job. Even if you've just done that, you could always do it again,....just hit those zerks pretty light this time around,....your son will never suspect that maybe the lube job wasn't really all that necessary. But with each grease cup and each zerk, and each squirt with the oil can, you could explain what is being lubricated, and why, and what that part (or those parts) do. Seems like that would surely prompt some questions and discussion.

Actually, in conjunction with lubrication, all our old Fords have all kinds of squeaks and rattles,......you could embark on a project to try to detect and eliminate a few of the squeaks and rattles too. You know, sort of a,...."hey, when I rock the car from side to side, get under there and see if you can tell what's squeaking so we can fix it!"

Just sorta' thinking out loud Erich,.....FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:39 am:

That is great news.....suggest getting him behind the wheel first so he can enjoy driving a model T. You can spend time later doing upkeep once he sees how much fun a model T can be.
Driving a model T is what will set the "Hook". The cute girls will be wanting to meet him and go for a ride if he is driving a model T.
Erich, you may find your self being left at the curb watching your son drive away with a car load of cute girls...smile! The next problem will be making sure the cute girl he brings back wants the complete package....just not your son.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:09 am:

Well, the simple fact is; a Model T Ford is a people-magnet, and half of those people will be female. A Tin-Lizzie is a great ice-breaker and a first rate conversation-starter. After having delivered a clever pick-up line, a jaunty Flivverleer can then literally pick up and take the object of his affection for a ride around the block—or, dare I say, go further. Fortunately, it is a axiomatic that Model T drivers are, without exception, true gentlemen of the highest order.

If only I had known of this principle when I was young, single and fancy-free! Your son is not only computer-savvy, but has realized the great possibilities inherent in the undeniable, disarming adorability of the Model T Ford.

... or maybe he just likes the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 04:54 am:

If he's a computer guy I imagine he would be interested in the e-timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:45 am:

You scoundrels! All this talk of using ones noble ride as a way to garner female attention. Bunch o' dirty old men on this forum. *shaking head*

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 07:25 am:

To be fair Seth some of us are dirty young men!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 07:35 am:

Seth Bunch o' dirty old men on this forum. *shaking head*

You failed to say which direction you were shaking head up & down or Side to side please specify

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 07:56 am:

LOL. G.R. I believe generally "shaking" means left and right, and "nodding" would be up and down.

I should probably add my Pro tip: make sure you point out the the T is hand cranked to start it. There's just something about the hard shaft of the handle and mystery of the T that makes women reach right down and grab ahold of it *ahem*. Anyway, as long as one is in a tactically advantageous position, one can enjoy the view as well as help show how to crank the car.

Also, Jim Patrick or someone needs to post pics of "the girl" with the white speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:07 am:

I prefer the description of dirty ol' men as being "sexy senior citizens"....don't consider myself there just yet, but getting closer and closer!
These cars ARE chick magnets!! Hmmm, maybe that's why I don't mind going out alone so much!! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:09 am:

Seth, here ya' go...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:45 am:

Oh, how I have missed her. Thanks, Wes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:47 am:

I don't know who took the pictures but there's several more of her and that car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:46 am:

Eric.... Truth be known, I'll bet it's you, not the T, your son wants to spend time with. Enjoy the moment - you deserve it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Grohsmeyer on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:57 am:

Dah - Take him for a Ride - find an open parking lot - then teach him how to drive it !
HOOKED !
Then it will surely need a bit of cleaning / waxing / prepping - for the Next time.
So, what was the question ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:23 am:

My Hack and that little white speedster were brother and sister for a while…

Sadly, the white speedster not only looked better but did 0-60 in about 10 seconds on its modified ignition which gave the Hack a complex as the Hack only got to experiment with the modified ignition and weighed in at a tubby near two times more weight maybe…

The Hack got through that complex…but then the girl posed for a picture with the white speedster and life was never the same since for the Hack. It decided to move and separate itself from the white speedster and needed about 50 miles of distance for that. Then the white speedster continued to be famous for its associations and the last my Hack heard, the white speedster had run off to somewhere in France :-) :-) Whether it was with the girl or not, my Hack has not shared with me :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:45 am:

The speedster was sold to someone in france? wow.
I aint but 47, so I aint old "yet".
old is 70+

Funny how the older you get, the larger the numbers get for your definition of old. :>)
When I hit, or crash head on into 70, Old will suddenly be 90.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:58 am:

I missed purchasing the famous little white speedster by a couple hours at Hershey....what 3 years ago...time flies. It was bought and is now across the pond. Nice car.

I'm sure it could have brought even more money if a big poster of the now famous cranking model was shown next to it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:03 am:

I'm one lucky guy. I have a daughter that loves my cars. She can drive the model t's as well as my vintage Ferrari's. She has driven our 1905 1 cylinder Cadillac, various other brass era cars we own with ease and grace. Like her mother she's a quick learner and has learned about odd noises and changes as she drives.

She can take any one of our cars and pile the grandkids in and away she goes with my son in law in the passenger's seat. Come to think of it even though I have taught him how to drive the old cars I have never seen him actually drive one. Must be something about a woman being in charge.

I know after I'm done with restoring and touring my family will enjoy all we have collected. That gives me some comfort. Hopefully my daughter will pass the interest and excitement on to her children.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:11 am:

Erich
You need to get a new project car so he can help.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:28 am:

There are two sides to every coin. I have two sons in their early 30's and I started teaching them to drive when they were very young.
That part sounds good and it was fun but the problem is now. They spend way to much time working on Model T fords. There is such a thing as wives and grand children. I do not think I will live long enough to see any if it ever happens.
I do enjoy the cars but I wonder if I am partly to blame for this twist of events.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:07 pm:

LOL Willie, if their love of T's means they've been smart/fotunate enough to skip the whole wives/kids thing and are still single, then you did them a TREMENDOUS service. You are to be congratulated. If what you mean is they don't spend enough time with their wives/kids then those things should straighten themselves out eventually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:39 pm:

When I had the machine shop (and had a whole lot more ambition) I spent what most people would probably describe as too much time at the shop.
When I had a personal project I would go back to the shop after supper and get things done rather than rot in front of a TV or computer.
My wife and I have no children together (she has one son) so kids didn't enter the equation.
My wife never begrudged my hours away because she knew where I was.
I could have been in a lot worse places doing a lot worse things.......but I wasn't.
It turned out to be time very well spent.
If she had ragged on me about my time at the shop I'm afraid things wouldn't have turned out so well.
One payoff came 4 years ago when I sold one tractor and used the money to build a new house for us on another piece of property in town where my shed is and eliminate 17 steps as the laundry room was in the walk-out basement.
She put up with a lot but it paid off....... :-) .......for both of us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:48 pm:

There are some great ideas here. He does need to drive it more as he did enjoy the low pedal parking lot practice tour he did a few years ago. I will put some of these ideas into action. Thanks again everyone. Some of you are very devious indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:49 pm:

A little extra grease won't hurt a bit. Who knows, the front bearings may need a refresh and re-grease/adjustment. That may be a good place to start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:15 am:

I hate to take issue with the whole chick-magnet thing. Every time a fine young lady somewhere between the ages of 58 to 64 years of age gets near my Model T's they're all smiles and compliments until they turn around and get a glimpse of yours truly. Then the smile fades and the running and screaming begins. Do you suppose it has anything to do with me asking them if they want to "turn my crank" or "honk my horn"? Or could it be as it has always been. You know the open sores and twisted limbs from being so darn clumsy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 01:20 am:

Both, They scream and run from both. Know from experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:46 am:

Welcome back Christina!! I'm with Bob Coiro - I missed her!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:54 am:

She certainly brings a touch of joyous whimsey to the forum. It's wonderful that she swoops in and surprises us from time to time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 04:49 pm:

She is the major draw - besides discussions on etimers, detergent vs. non-detergent oil and what hand to crank with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

THANK YOU WES!!!!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration