Big Boy 4014 Locomotive Starts 1200 Mile Trip Tomorrow

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Big Boy 4014 Locomotive Starts 1200 Mile Trip Tomorrow
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:46 am:

Trains Magazine will live stream Video following the 4014 starting at 8:00 am PST as it starts its trip from Colton California to Cheyenne Wyoming.

For all you Couch Potatoes, you will be able to see this event live from your personal computers. You will need to sign in in order to use the Live Streaming feature.
Enjoy

http://trn.trains.com/webcam

loco

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 02:28 am:

Back in the mid eighties I think, Union Pacific had a steam train that came up through Falls City NE. It was huge, but wasn't near as big as 4014, it was a 4-8-4 as I recall. When it stopped, people were walking all around it taking pictures. I have several somewhere. I suppose the lawyers would have a stroke if that happened now. In the early to mid Fifties, I lived next to a mainline track in N.W. MO., but I only saw a couple of steam engines go by, and they were being towed. There is no comparison to them as far as I am concerned. Fred, keep us posted. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:30 am:

Dave, this may be the one you saw. Folks do like to get up close for pictures, but I didn't notice any collapsing barristers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:35 am:

The validation codes aren't working, so can't see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:42 am:

Keep trying William, I'm watching the feed right now. 4014 hasn't left Colton yet but you will be able to see the streaming video from now up to May 8th or so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 01:47 pm:

If you Subscribe!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

and if you have high-speed internet--which is not available here in the boonies east of Oroville Lake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 04:04 pm:

You don't have to subscribe to see the trip only sign up. There will be some times as the schedule shows will be for subscribers only. Watch the schedule for the free days it is free to all that just sign up.

I don't have a subscription and have watched most of the move from Pomona up to now.
The video at times is not great but there using some sort of Cell link to do the broadcast and it will drop out from time to time.
Sorry Dave, that's a bummer about your internet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

Steve, I'll have to dig out my pictures, but I think that is it. Where were those pictures taken? Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:59 pm:

HOLY S(*$, that thing is bloody HUGE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

I'm pretty sure if you put a coin on the rail before one of these went over it'd just end up a 6 inch shiny spot fused with the rail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Barry Fowler - Eagle River, Alaska on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:35 pm:

Seth: When I was a kid, at the risk of getting into big trouble with my Dad who was a railroad man, I would put pennies on the rail when a train was coming. Although they never fused to the rail they were spread very thin. It was great fun until I was caught.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:50 pm:

I'm a big young for that pass time, but I have one that is about paper thin. It's mind boggling how heavy these things are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:46 pm:

I tried all day, and no validation code I typed in ever worked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

I can't get anything .Registered and nothing happens, been all over the site no stream link
:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

Dave, the pictures of 844 were at Caldwell. I think the train was on its way to Texas.

George, if you're registered and logged on at http://trn.trains.com/webcam you should see a video screen. There's nothing on it except during the posted broadcasting hours, and sometimes not then either. See the FAQ on that.

Tomorrow they'll go through Kelso.

I had a bowl of chili there one night when the depot and its diner were still operating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:47 pm:

News on local station tonight had the Big Boy leaving Pomona but didn't say where it was going. It would be a real push up thru the Cajon pass if it was going that way.

Quite a train, wish I had known. It would be a great sight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:10 am:

Got it Steve, Link works now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:22 am:

Gene,
That's where it went! Bigger passes to come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:56 am:

I'm told that over 3,000 people came out to see the Locomotive in Victorville. There was almost as many as it stopped in Barstow around 4.00pm PST.

Tomorrow is for subscribers only, oh well I'll wait til Wednesday I guess.

4014 stops at Barstow below.

traintruck2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 03:28 am:

When seeing footage on the local news this evening it looks like it got a good cleaning. looks totally operational.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:41 am:

Just to verify that it is not and has not yet moved under its own power, correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:47 am:

Seth,I'm sure it will take several years at best? Last night on the RFD it showed the rebuilding/and running of a Canadian Hudson and it was great!! I hope they record the rebuilding!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:40 am:

Seth, yes that is correct. It is being shuttled dead. It has been estimated to take 3 to 5 years for a complete rebuild and conversion to oil firing.

The UP Challenger burns number 5 fuel oil, so I assume Big Boy will use similar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:59 am:

Well I hope they get the conversion to oil firing right this time. I read where they converted 4005 to oil but it didn't work out very well, so they converted it back to coal.

Would it just be too expensive to have it burn coal? Seems sort of like restoring a Model T only to have it powered with an electric motor instead of the original T engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:40 pm:

Fred I'm watching it to day and I only had to sign in, I am on HI speed internet.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:43 pm:

The 4005 used more oil than coal was costing at the time, so the idea was scrubbed. Nowadays the coal is harder to find and move around as there are no more coaling towers left on the mainlines; and it's more expensive than it was then. Also, coal cinders tend to start track side fires; in the old days that kept the brush growth away from the tracks, but it's there now!
It's more like restoring a model T to run on kerosene, or some other alternative fuel, still uses the same "engine" so the electric motor is not a good comparison.
The "looks operational" effect is the careful care given by the museum for display--wish more museums could care for their outside displays as well; The museum should be commended for their efforts--they're also the ones that made the lights and whistle operational, which is why you hear it's whistle on this trip! Of course, it will sound much better on steam. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:43 pm:

I was thinking the same thing, Seth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

The oil comes to them in large tanker trucks, and is pumped into the tenders. There are several videos of Challenger being fueled this way. According to the Forney Museum of Transportation, the 4005 was converted to burn oil, but the design of the firebox did not allow for sufficient heating of the oil to reach the required boiler pressure. The conversion was completed in 1946 was due to the iminent threat of a coal strike:

"On 1 April 1946, John L. Lewis called 400,000 bituminous coal miners out on strike for improved wages, health benefits, and safety regulations. By mid-May, the strike was crippling industrial production and threatened to end the economy's postwar recovery. When Lewis rejected Harry S.
Truman's efforts to find a compromise, the president seized the mines and ordered the strikers back to work. When the companies refused a settlement negotiated between the workers and government, Lewis took his men out of the pits on 21 November. Upon refusing an injunction to resume work, a US judge found Lewis in contempt of court and fined the United Mine Workers (UMW) $3,500,000 later reduced to $700,000 before Lewis ended the strike on 7 December. The government acceded to most UMW demands while operating the mines, and the coal companies agreed to the bulk of Lewis's terms in 1947".

Some larger roads back in the day actually owned their coal fields so the steady supply was easily obtained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

Should we rename this thread more appropriately?
Any Idea's since this will be live into the second week of May?

Anyway I hope you guys are enjoying this event as much as I am. The live feed should be up tomorrow morning for us non subscribers.

Here is a video from the trip yesterday (Monday) From UP Steam Boss Ed Dickens who is riding along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LowCok85XDY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 05:08 pm:

Just found this little video about moving BigBoy 4018 ,I think this is one of the engines UP had considered fixing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuvfccRzkPo

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration