MTFCI, do they still exist?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: MTFCI, do they still exist?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:15 am:

Over a month ago, I sent my application and payment to Model T Ford Club International and have not seen or heard a thing. I recently emailed them and got the same result. Wasn't there a problem with their website posted here as well? I know the Ontario Region is alive and well and anxious to accept new members but, you have to join the international club first. I just missed the club spring meeting because I am not eligible to go. Anyone here know anything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:38 am:

Dave, did you try this? president@modelt.org

The website and the forum are working now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:53 am:

Thanks Steve. I will give that a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:35 am:

After almost 20 years i'm sad to say i have voted with my checkbook.To me it seem's as if the mtfci is listening to a few instead of the membership? Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

I just got a PM from the club president, so it seems all will be well soon. Thanks everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

Not only does the MTFCI exist, but it is going strong. The dues for the club REMAIN at $35, as the MTFCI Board voted to keep the dues as reasonable as possible. The "Model T Times" magazine has a new editor and is of the highest quality.

The MTFCI strongly supports young people in the hobby by providing educational scholarships to deserving youth, and many activities for young people are held during the annual tour. Financially, the club is remains solvent, and the MTFCI Board is ALWAYS open to suggestions and comments from the membership regarding the club.

I hope these comments clear up any misconceptions regarding the MTFCI, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to contact me.

Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:24 pm:

I forgot to add that the MTFCI is updating and improving the MTFCI website at modelt.org. I know change is difficult for many Model T owners, but the changes to the website are positive and worthwhile. One change is that MTFCI chapters can go through the MTFCI website to generate their own chapter websites, a service that Hemmings offers to some MTFCA chapters.

The VBulletin format used on the forum is very easy to use and is supported by the club's website provider. Finally, when using the classifieds, you can post photos of your car or parts. Look for the "new and improved" MTFCI website and embrace the change!

Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

The change can be more difficult than worth while? I do not need trouble getting to,reading,or trying to post to what is now your forum! I think i joined in 1994.Bud DeLong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:34 pm:

Yeah, I have to admit, it was too much for me to figure out as well.
Guess that's the way it is with old dogs like me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:57 pm:

Although this thread has evolved into purely a discussion of the website, I am struck by the fact that Dave's original post indicated that, although he had sent his application and money for MTFCI membership a month earlier, he was barred from a chapter event because his membership was not yet "official" (through no fault of his own). Really? The chapter couldn't say, "Okay, you sent your money but it hasn't been processed yet. You're still welcome to participate in our event and we're glad to have you aboard." So does that mean that no one in the chapter believed him? Aren't we still all just Model T guys or are we government bureaucrats?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

Dick, I didn't mean to sound like they wouldn't let me go to the event. It was I who decided I shouldn't go until my dues are paid. It wasn't an important event for me anyway. I still have time to sort this out before the first tour which does matter. Thanks for your concern though. Dave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

Well I for one got "locked out" of the login. The new password that was sent wouldn't work. I had planned on using that forum for a couple of restores I'm doing but it just got to the point that I couldn't spend any more effort on it. When you can't get through the first step without a time consuming hassle...one tends to say "forget it !! "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

Dave, glad to hear that. Your wording implied that you weren't allowed to go. (In my view, by the way, your dues were paid when you mailed the check.)

My late second cousin, by the way, lived in Hamilton. He and I exchanged Canadian (and other) humor by e-mail for a number of years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

http://www.modelt.org/mtfcivb/showthread.php/323-Other-club-forum-wanted-to-know -if-MTFCI-still-exist?p=1972#post1972

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:54 pm:

My experience was similar to Dan's. It wouldn't let me log in, so, I tried to re-register and it told me I was already there it would send me my password--all I got was user ID --no password. It said click on the link and all would be well--it wasn't. I replied to administrator and ask to be provided my password or delete me so I could start over. Awaiting a reply.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 01:40 am:

There is no website for the other club, Only 403 forbidden error messages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:36 am:

I was registered on the other forum but that login won't work anymore. I got lost trying to re-register. I'm not able to get in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:40 am:

But would like to

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:54 am:

When I type in modelt.org, the website comes up just fine. The forum is also working fine for me.
Russ Furstnow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:07 am:

My problems with their site is the demand to change password after a certain # of days - when you go there seldom it's hard to remember what password you used there last. Another problem is the short time you stay logged on until automatically logged off. No need to keep logged on time so short and no need to demand a password change. I haven't changed the password in all the years I've been a member of the forum here and still no imposters :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:43 am:

Update. The club president phoned me and signed me up on the spot. The club is alive and well and a great place to be. It appears they had some computer issues and we can't fault them for that. You know how computers can be. Thank you everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:10 pm:

Passwords are one of the most annoying features of internet use, and I agree that frequent requirements to change them compound the aggravation. My memory isn't up to the task of keeping them all in my head, especially when some are required to contain certain things and others are forbidden from containing those same things. I have to keep a list of websites, user names, and passwords. Without that list I wouldn't be able to use many sites.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:26 pm:

I don't understand this password thing!
When it asks for password I just type password as instructed and everything works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:35 pm:

I agree. How "Secure" is it when you have to write your passwords down? It's probably a good idea not to have your MTFCA password and your bank PIN be the same, but I don't see the need for a forum password to need to change every X number of days. What's somebody gonna do? Come on here pretending to be me and promote left handed starting?:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

Hi All

I had no trouble getting back into the MTFCI site
after digging thru my little pile of sticky notes
(that had since fallen off the wall) to get my user
name and password.
However . . .
I posted a “Reply” to an existing post there last night
and another today, and got a message indicating my
posts would be delayed (moderated)for spam etc.
I have no problem with that, and realize this could
take a up to a day or more, as I do not expect someone
is sitting there waiting to clear them.
I guess my question is ‘Is this the case with every post
from now on’ or does one get automatic clearance after
the first one or two are clean.
I could not find the answer in any of the rules and regulations.

Thanks
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Solak on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:26 am:

Art, I've never had a trouble with posts being automatically moderated. Did you include a link to a website in your post or anything like that? At the forum I run (not T related), we sequester any posts containing hyperlinks unless the user has written a post at least five times or, if they don't have a post count of 5 or more, until a moderator has reviewed the post to make sure it isn't spam. It prevents people registering at the site just to post spam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:15 pm:

I don't see the need for high security on a Model T Forum. Having a password expire after a few weeks doesn't reduce spam by one single posting since those guys are looking for instant access and then moving on. The only one affected in any way is the original owner of the password and he is affected negatively. Anyone can change their password at any time so why would the forum want to decide on their own to delete somebodies password if the customer doesn't ask for it. The problem with a lot of these issues is there is a big shortage of common sense among those in charge of these things. You need to find one guy who knows what he is doing and put him in charge of it. Design by committee is the worst way to do anything. A camel is a horse designed by a committee. Tony Cimorelli used to be in charge of the MTFCI site and it worked fine and had tons of activity. He simply made decisions and took the heat if somebody didn't like it. For sure there will always be someone who doesn't like it but if you keep a site stable, people learn to live with what they don't like but if unstable it won't matter to most what the committee is trying to accomplish and the site will go dead. What might be an exciting site and "cool" for a teenager is a far cry from what the average T guy needs and wants. The age factor is huge and patience is short amongst us old farhts.

Have any of you noticed the ALL NEW Fun Projects web site. In fact just before Chicasha a brand new version written in a new language and moved to a new server was installed. The reason I bring this up is NOT to stimulate business but to show you what I think is the right idea - namely you CANNOT detect in any way that there is any difference between old site and new unless you are computer savvy and notice that web pages no longer end in .cfm but now end in .aspx which is a different language. Now from the back side the whole site has way more tools for me to use to put up and change pages and the like but to the user - no change at all. I believe this to be the right approach to forums but I have an advantage in that both of my sons are IT guys so Johnny wrote the page a long time ago then Todd took over and rewrote it in a new language and provided me all of the new tools I asked for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 03:08 pm:

Hi Bob
I was trying to add a couple of patent numbers to Jay’s
“Timer” photos, so yes I did have TinyURL links to the
patents in my posts. Perhaps it's just a temporary glitch,
so will wait for a while to see if it changes as they get
the new software working smoothly. There seem to be quite
a few members having trouble just trying to get registered.
Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:33 pm:

I just emailed them to say "I'm done". I asked them to delete my profile because I refuse to re-register my password even one more time to do it myself. What a silly mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:34 pm:

By the way, I meant the forum only. I'm not quitting MTFCI.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

All this discussion is giving me a fresh appreciation for Chris B's efforts on this forum. Thanks, Chris!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:03 pm:

John's comment that "You need to find one guy who knows what he is doing and put him in charge of it" is exactly right. Therein lies the problem. Finding the person who not only can do the job, but also has the time and inclination to be an unpaid volunteer doing it, is not easy. That's why, as Jeff says, we're lucky to have Chris running this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

Some years ago, Tony Cimorelli was doing for the MTFCI forum pretty much what Chris does for this one. Not only was he making the forum run like a Swiss watch, but he also answered private computer questions and helped people like me with problems. Then suddenly he was gone. As I recall (and "recall" is getting to be an increasingly difficult task for me), I think he was also on the MTFCI board and left that as well. I never found out why (even though I was an MTFCI member at the time). Whoever knows isn't telling, I guess...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

I have never amounted to much and my kids,and grandkids are about i have to show.I'm not smart or talented but i'm proud to sat i'm not cheap!! I have always thought the webmaster should be a paid position? I think i would rather pay a little more and have more? Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:44 am:

Dick, as I recall he sold his T and got clear out of the hobby. It's a shame. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 09:46 am:

To suggest that Tony was bitter and left is not accurate. He simply lost interest in old cars as a hobby and got into something else. He was honest with himself and unlike many who probably have lost interest in something and just didn't admit it or do anything about it, I think his strong military background served him well to simply make an obvious decision and move on it. It may well be true that some of his experiences in the hobby and the T clubs may have contributed to his decision but then all of life is like that. We all make daily decisions based upon our experiences. I will say one thing for sure - unlike most T folks he was not cheap. He was directly responsible for my "taking another look" into making the large ammeter for T's after my co-venture with Hoyt failed to produce anything. The very first ammeter I made I gave to Tony and I think it was still on his 23 touring car when it sold. I have always given away the first production model of anything I produce. It thus starts the product off with a happy customer. I miss Tony.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:24 am:

Sorry,but i never meant to imply Tony was cheap! I talked with Tony and i if only i think he was just tired of butting heads with the board of directors? I have often thought there are some involved [both clubs] when people speak their peace if front of everyone can't handle it? I need to work on the 14! Bud.PS,After my first post i received a e-mail which i responded to but i never got anything again? With the model t times there is a sheet i should hand out to people? Why not tell them to go to a working web site/forum and ask? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Mottashed on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:38 am:

Dave, I'm a bit late to this party, but as a board member of Ontario Region I can confirm you would have been most welcome at the meeting. Ironically that's how I joined years ago - by showing up at a meeting and sending in my MTFCI reg afterward. Funnily enough, your name came up at the meeting you missed, being reported as someone that wanted to join. The meeting host took some good ribbing for getting nothing other than your name and the city you live in! I hope you will visit our website (ontariomodelt.org) and submit a membership form. We'd love to see you out on tour. If you have any questions, the info and webmaster email links on the website both come to me. Hope to see you soon. ...Fred

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Solak on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 12:30 pm:

The password issue is a simple fix from the vBulletin control panel. I've made the educated guess that it is probably a default setting that Mark didn't even know was there. There are literally thousands of default settings and 90% of them don't need to be addressed. But some slip past you when you are first configuring the forum, only to crop up later.

The issue could be fixed in a matter of minutes, if the webmaster so desired to. I'm just not sure who is minding the vBulletin store over there. Until then, you don't actually need to change your password. You can just re-enter the one you'll be using and it will take it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 06:30 pm:

Fred, thanks so much. I will be joining the Ontario Chapter within days. I already have holidays booked so I can do the entire Fergus area tour. As I mentioned, the international club president called from North Carolina I think and signed me up. Is that where the club is based? I don't know. The location is not on their website that I can find. This whole confusion started when someone gave me a membership application with a Florida address (see below). It just arrived back in my mailbox today marked "undeliverable" Must be an old application. It's all sorted out now. Thanks everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 08:58 pm:

I think the address depends on who happens to have the membership job at any particular time, and could be anywhere. Currently the MTFCI officers happen to be in NY, TX, and NC. The MTFCA officers and directors are in WI, IN, TX, CA, MT, NM and OK. The folks who do the work for both clubs are all over the map.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration