Warning from DHS: Microsoft Explorer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Warning from DHS: Microsoft Explorer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 03:10 pm:

Dept of Homeland Security just issued a warning about all Explorer versions up to 11, and said Mircosoft is working on a fix. They won't do a fix for XP users, so I just switched to Mozilla Firefox.

We'll see how it goes. So far, it's faster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 03:16 pm:

Serious security flaw affects every version of Internet Explorer

Microsoft just released a bombshell security announcement. Researchers at security company FireEye have found a flaw in Internet Explorer that could let hackers easily slip a virus on to your computer. And hackers are already using it.

This flaw is present in every version of Internet Explorer - from 6 to 11 - stretching back more than a decade.

You have no defense with the latest Windows systems, either; the program is vulnerable no matter which version of Windows you are running.

The bug is a drive-by hack; all you have to do is visit a site that hackers have hijacked or modified and you're infected.

The really bad news: As I'm writing this, there's no permanent fix and Microsoft is still researching the problem.

Important: Don't forget to share this with your friends and family who use Internet Explorer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 04:07 pm:

I'm wondering whether Microsoft has a stake in the sale of new computers.
I'm wondering whether their decision to discontinue supporting the rather dependable XP (compared to, say, Vista) operating system was made to stimulate hardware sales.
And now I'm wondering whether is hasn't yet worked as well as they'd have preferred, and so, to give new sales a goose, they've released this new warning.

I'm wondering whether my next computer will be an Apple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 07:17 pm:

Microsoft is doing more to promote Apple computer sales than all of the Apple advertising can do.

Microsoft is like new car productions were a few years back. The 1949 to 1951 Ford was a good example.

The engine and drive train was the same, only the trim and glitter was different.

With Microsoft, you can find the same program files used again and only the display and window drop downs are different, yet they want you to pay a few $100 more for the upgrade that you didn't ask for, didn't want and didn't need!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 07:17 pm:

I have NEVER used Internet Explorer...loved Netscape until it died, and have been with Firefox ever since and am just fine with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 07:42 pm:

When I worked for AOL we referred to all versions of MS as the worlds largest commerically available virus!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

What Tim said. In my case also, first Netscape, then Firefox....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:23 pm:

I've always used IE and have not had a virus since going to Windows 7. But I'm smart about what I click on and/or download.

Perhaps you guys have a PICNIC.

(Problem In Chair Not In Computer)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:57 pm:

Ken, we call that the chair-keyboard interface.

I use Google Chrome.

The problem with the latest exploit is the Adobe Flash plug-in. You can go into Addons and disable it. This will negatively affect most websites you visit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:33 pm:

Aint it grand how this warning just came out shortly after they stop support for XP?
Wind 8 was designed and intended to force hardware sales. From what I read somewhere recently Microsoft has noticed folks aren't latching onto the new "devices" and are growing to used to their old equipment. If someone offered me a free win 8 unit with that hand swipe screen mess I would walk away from it and I could use a better computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:43 pm:

Can you guess why I'm smiling?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:22 am:

Steve, that's just mean!! :-)
Interesting that with an Apple, you have to have a dictionary! :-)
Heh heh heh!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:26 am:

Sometimes just picking up a book and turning a few pages is easier than looking it up online.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:33 am:

HA HA HA ! Steve you OL' RASCAL !! .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:02 am:

Ralph it sounds like you got a spam email. Did it say to forward to everyone in your mail box? That is a dead give away.

I can't imagine why Homeland Security would issue a warning about a computer program.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:21 am:

I'm afraid it's true, Royce (at least as true as anything can be on the web):

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/28/technology/security/internet-explorer-bug/index. html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:48 am:

As G.R. Cheshire says - Ubuntu!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:41 am:

Steve, you crack me up!! Great picture! Nice computer...one of these days I'll "grow up" and get a MAC!! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:12 am:

I don't forward these thing unless I'm sure, Royce. I first saw it on CNN or Bloomberg. Haven't yet received an email about it. I took David's surname off, and forwarded his reply to my friends and family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:26 am:

Steve; you're smiling because your not wearing overalls right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:50 am:

Like your window curtain Steve, the way America is headed think I will plasma cut mine from one inch plate!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:47 pm:

I found it Ralph. See here:

http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-activity/2014/04/28/Microsoft-Internet-Explo rer-Use-After-Free-Vulnerability-Being

I think folks who are still using XP could worry if they are prone to excessive worrying. Particularly if they frequent web sites with free adult skin flicks or click on spam sent to them in an email.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:52 pm:

One of the biggest dangers is convincing-looking phishing e-mails. They are getting better and better, but the trick if you are asked to click on a link is to put your cursor over it without clicking and look at the bottom of the screen to what the link really is. They are usually in a country far away and nowhere near what they purport to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:01 pm:

Quote " Particularly if they frequent web sites with free adult Skin Flicks" For this group that would be sheet metal right?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration