Chickasha Swap Meet Rule Changes 2015

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Chickasha Swap Meet Rule Changes 2015
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

I am curious as to the feeling of others on the changes that have been put in place for the 2015 meet.
2015 Rules:
On Wednesday March 18 no vendor vehicles will be allowed on fairground property .I understand this to mean. Parking will not be allowed on the (previously used) staging parking area immediately adjoining the East side of the swap meet venue grounds starting Wednesday March 18th and parking will not be allowed (by Oklahoma DOT) on Highway 62 running to the North of the fairgrounds or the railroad grounds across the street from the West side of the Fairgrounds.
Vendor access to the Fairground for set up of their swap spaces will commence at 7:30 AM Thursday March 19th.
I understand this change is being driven by numerous complaints from swap meet attendees (not vendors) that the event is not really Thursday and Friday and, for the most part takes place in the staging area on Wednesday. While some of that may be true this complaint is clearly overblown. It is also true that many vendors have fled the scene by Noon Friday. Vendors for the most part are hobbyists who load up their pick ups with parts they no longer need and when their inventory is depleted they make plans to shut down.
In reality, it appears these changes are being made to ensure those who can only attend Friday are accommodated. I believe this change will cause significant inconvenience and perhaps total chaos for vendors when they converge on the entrance to the venue Friday at 7AM. Vendor participation pays the bills for this event and penalizing vendors by catering to a few people who do not understand when the peak activity between vendors and buyers occur.
Your thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 04:49 pm:

I think they are trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist. I think the cure will be worse than the ailment. All the same, I hope I'm wrong and that it works out well for all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

Any change is stressful to all involved. After all the complaints and (mostly) constructive criticism levied on the Forum after this year's meet, I take off my hat to any attempt to strengthen the meet and keep it unique. Speaking as a Chickasha vendor and also as one who thoroughly understands how tough it is for younger guys who just can't get off work earlier in the week, I feel it may not be a perfect solution but I think it's a step in the right direction. If we want to attract and retain younger members, and as vendors attract and retain customers, we simply have to cater to their needs. If the buyers are there, the vendors will be too, even with the high cost of fuel. And if the vendors are there the full two days, more buyers will attend and will hang around longer.

See y'all out there on Thursday morning!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

they just cut there own throat. wonder if they will let the tire guys in early

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

Having attended Chickasha three times now, I believe I know the event well enough to make an informed comment:

I cannot visualize how this can work with the new rules, or at least, how it can work safely. I know how much vehicular movement takes place during set-up procedures, and to say that there are a lot of many different types of vehicles involved is an understatement. For all of this activity to take place while "attendees" are milling around on Thursday morning is to me, unthinkable!

Warren,......I think you meant ....."total chaos for vendors when they converge on the entrance to the venue THURSDAY at 7:00AM." (....and I agree)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:05 pm:

What's wrong with line up friday morning, start the meet friday afternoon and have a full day saturday, then pack up and go home sunday. Then buyers who isn't retired would have a better chance to attend without much time off work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:09 pm:

The issue is the considerable additional cost to rent the fairgrounds on a Saturday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

Maybe more buyers being able to attend would give a net plus even considering the additional cost?
Or perhaps there are alternative cheaper fairgrounds in the vicinity that are more willing to host a swap meet over a weekend?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:02 pm:

what is the cost of the fairgrounds and how much extra would it be for a saturday, compared to a day durning the week, everyone says more, but no one came up with a the price, how much will the city business lose by vendors not showing up. for the amount I sell I think ebay fees are cheap compared to the money I spend to get there and back home

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:35 pm:

As a vendor this year, I have to side with R.V. Anderson and retail buyers out there. This year's meet was, for all practical purposes, a wholesale vendors meet, instead of a meet to sell to and serve the retail buyer. I'll bet money that for every one retail customer I sold to; I sold to ten vendors who were going to resale the items they bought from me. I judge this from the number of vendors within sight of my spaces who I saw walk up to my spaces, the number of vendors who identified themselves, and the number of items that I sold that I have seen on Ebay since the meet!

This type of buying and selling is totally different from the last Chickasha swap meet that I attended where I don't remember any vendor presales. the meet's sales lasted two full days and most of the buyers we had were paying near retail prices instead of trying to get things for a song and a dance. Now, you might say, 'Terry, I can tell you haven't been to Chickasha is quit a while', and you're correct, but I've been to other swap meets in Texas, like the 'old Pate', the 'new Pate', the 'South Central', 'Montgomery County' and others, and not experienced the lack of retail buyers and the over abundance of vendor buyers that I saw at Chickasha, this year.

If I wanted to drive 500 miles pulling a U Haul trailer; have a trailer malfunction which by the grace of God, didn't get me killed or total my truck; it sure wasn't to sell wholesale to vendors, and not sell anything to retail customers. I'm still thanking God every night that my malfunction on the way up to Chickasha didn't cost me my life. The amount I made wasn't worth my life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 06:53 pm:

Mike, I believe that Susie said it was $15K for Saturday. Since every year my brother and I are just about the very last ones to leave, first on Saturday and now on Friday, we get to hear all the complaints from the "I couldn't get off work so I drove all night to get here; where the heck IS everybody?" crowd. These (mostly) all younger guys have money, they are the very ones we're trying to attract, and they have legitimate complaints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

I think the problem with people not coming at the right time is more a matter of their not understanding rather than a matter of not being able to get the time off. In other words, they assume that it is a weekend swap meet, as most other swap meets are, and plan accordingly. I think a better course of action would be for the planners to stress in the advertising and such what the swap meet is rather than try to change it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:02 pm:

R.V. did she tell u that cost herself or is it someone told someone, Im not being smart, but I honestly cant believe its that much, what is it for the other 2 days.
Now remember its kinda dark at 7:30 AM that time of the year, and ppl be getting there before that to get inline, on the roads, coming both ways, in the dark.
when we line up wed, in the field, I get there early to get closer to the front of the line, because pulling a 26 foot trailer u don't get in the spots any other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

Said this before and I'll say it again. There is little if any reason to hold the swap meet at the Fair Grounds if they are charging $15,000 for one day's rent. There are other towns nearby with facilities that should be available for considerably less money. I can rent the entire fairgrounds Exhibition hall in Great Falls, Montana, which is easily twice as big as the north hall at Chickasha and is one big open space for less than $2,000 a day, the entire Four Seasons Arena for about $4500 a day - it is big enough to park combines and huge tractors in - probably at least two acres under roof, they hold giant rodeos there. IF Chickasha is charging that kind of money I would be moving it to another venue. My email to the Grady County offices went unanswered or I would know how much it costs. I don't really care one way or another but remember that the Chickasha swap meet is a private "for profit" company and that eliminating Wednesday access to the grounds also eliminates one day's rent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:25 pm:

I agree with Tom. Hershey has been a week long swap meet with a show on Saturday and all criticism of Chickasha could be leveled at Hershey too but everybody knows the days of Hershey swap meet. I don't see how I can gauge when I will get to my space but having people trying to buy stuff while I am setting up is going to be a real downer. I have some of that this past year and I finally had to chase people away so I could get totally setup and I have a very simple setup.

Our local chapter ran a swap meet for years and years and we setup the fairgrounds on Saturday and had a one day swap meet on Sunday. The vendors were allowed to get to their spaces pretty much anytime they showed up on Sunday morning but typically they began to arrive around 5 AM and all of them were in their places very early on. We had a lot of vendors and over the years our swap meet grew but we finally had to hang it up because of increasing costs and aging personnel. We also got rained out a number of years in a row.

Trying to keep vendors and buyers apart until younger buyers get there is not reality. Swap meet begins when 2 T people say "howdy". The vendors pay the bills so I think the swap meet people need to think about exactly who their customer is. Vendors are their customers. What vendors expect is a swap meet that makes them money. Better promotion and information is lacking as Tom pointed out. Changing things around from year to year just adds to the misinformation. If the coming year is a disaster the vendors won't come back and there are already enough negatives to weaken the meet with gasoline prices and costs rising all across the nation. Stability is the most important thing of all and nations too don't realize that enough. People the world over go into a "wait and see" mode when they sense uncertainty and many may decide to wait and see before venturing over 1000 miles to Chickasha next year. I will go most likely but if chaos does happen as it seems like it will, I for one will seek a swap meet schedule more to my liking and see where the other vendors go. A swap meet is a like a gathering of teenagers. No real reason the meet is in Chickasha other than everyone else is there. Disturb that and everyone else moves elsewhere to a new gathering place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

I have talked to several friends today about the early morning set up time. One of them spoke earlier with Susie who said that he was the only one who had voiced a negative response ,all the others were very supportive. Very interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:44 pm:

Mike, that is the figure she stated, and I clearly remember the numbers; but I may have misunderstood. She may have said that the cost would INCREASE to that figure if Saturday were included. I just don't remember; I was busy packing up at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 08:52 pm:

It will be interesting to see how and where all the trailers will be parked at and around the motels the night before set-up on Thursday. It will be a mad-house Thursday morning converging on and turning into the fair grounds and heading to the respective spaces. "Dark Thirty", and a potentially dangerous situation with a lot of folks in a hurry. I liked it the way it was with all its supposed faults. Just my 2 from one who has been to every Pre-War since Joe started it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Fenton on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:03 pm:

I think the biggest problem will be trailer parking the night before. I travel all day to get there and drop my trailer at the fairgrounds.

I can't imagine everyone parking trailers overnight at the motels.

The best solution may be to find some area nearby where we can arrive as usual and be ready to go into the fairgrounds the next morning. I wonder if there is an area close in that could be used. Better yet, an unused parking lot would be ideal.
Maybe even an RV park nearby..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

I read the new rules and at 8:00 AM on the 19th the meet will open for both vendors and retail buyers. That's going to make it hard to drive in the south building to set up with retail buyers all over. That's going to be one big line outside to get onto the fair grounds property Thursday morning.It takes me about three hours to unload and set up. If they would open the fair grounds property gate on Wed. at 4:00 PM to let you set up you would not have all the hassle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:22 pm:

John, I still think the purpose of a swap meet is to serve the hobbyist, not other vendors. If vendors want to do business between themselves, that can be accomplished by establishing wholesale dealer networks and buying and selling between dealers can be accomplished without going to a swap meet. It is a matter of everyday business.

Likewise, I think a swap meet should be business first; socializing last. If all a person drives 100's, if not 1000's of miles to Chickasha for is just to socialize with friends they don't see often or people who they chat with on the Forum, they can do that by going to a MTFCA or MTFCI regional or national meet and have the fun of driving in addition to socializing. I would have loved to go around at Chickasha and introduce myself and meet people I've communicated by the Forum, but my first objective at Chickasha was to sell out and reduce my storage bill. I've still got enough stuff to get rid of that I could hire an auctioneer and have my own sale.

The one thing that I do agree with you on is having to set up with people rushing to buy from you when you are still trying to set up. Due to the lack of marking in the South building and due to the fact that I couldn't get to my spaces due to the inside traffic until 6 PM on Wednesday, George Clipner and I stayed until 10 PM trying to get ready for Thursday morning. People would not leave us alone and I did make sales but I still wasn't ready Thursday morning. Thursday morning, we again tried to finish setting up. Finally, I had to start covering tables I had completed setup on with tarps and rudely telling people that when they saw us sitting in chairs taking it easy and everything was uncovered that we would be open, but not until then. It was very stressful and my patience wore very thin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Webb on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:53 pm:

Last year I was a vendor at the meet and when I pulled in at noon on setup day I was bombarded with people wanting prices and a couple unloading my truck in the parking lot to get to the stuff on the bottom.
I agree that vendors need time to setup without sales to give all a fair chance at the goods.
AS FAR as location Tulsa has a large EXPO building that rents for far less $15,000 (probably can get a week for that) all spaces would be inside and plenty of hotels close........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 09:56 pm:

roger!!.that's the way it way 35 yrs. ago when I first went to Chickasha, only we had to work all day Friday and we stayed in the car or tent if we had one, buy the way my wife paid her dues, or we couldn't afford to go!!! I would still like that,. not the Friday part .I like to get a good night sleep before I head home 300 miles. now I hear we cant stay Friday night I hope that is not true. I set up when ever I feel like if some one doesn't like it I don't care anymore!!!!!!! that's all I got to say about it. thanks charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:00 pm:

It would be great if "Susie" or whoever is with the swap meet would comment or tell us the reasons why its this way, instead of " she said, he said, I was told, " I don't know who they asked, a survey of the vendors would of been great !
but maybe the vendors don't matter !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

To avoid the mad panic of all vendors arriving at once, a local swap meet (this weekend in Red Deer), sends out a number of time frames that one must set up in . The vendors farthest from the doors first, mid range second, and closest last, Swap meet starts at three, but I must admit a lot of the 'shopping' is already done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:19 pm:

Lets not forget this is not a hobby/club sponsored swap meet, guys. This is a for profit meet run by the Ersland's. The money they make they keep, period. They want to keep the cost down (that's why no Saturday's), and the profits up pure and simple, that's the American way.

As for the days of the swap meet, who cares which days it is. If you area hobbyist and have a real need or interest you will be there no matter which days. You know a year in advance when the meet is and you plan your days off accordingly.

The Bakersfield prewar meet is far superior to Chickasha and its on Fridays and Saturdays but by Friday afternoon people are already packed and leaving.

I attended all Chickasha meets from the beginning and quit going a few years back, not enough brass era car stuff, mostly t's and I just did not have the need for any more.

I suggest al swappers find a common parking que up area away from the fair grounds and line up and enjoy each others company before the swap meet line up. All Ersland's are trying to do is to stop guys from swapping before the meet. To make their meet better. Don't give into more rules and regulations find a way around them.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:28 pm:

Typical of what happens when a "public" property is used for a purpose like this. cost are jacked up, rules are screwed up and it winds up the event dies over the course of a couple years.
I hope I am wrong but I think you are watching the beginning of the end of what was a great event.
Several tractor shows around here are getting messed up in the same way. State goes up on camp ground fee's. Literally doubled them at 1. We campers cant see paying 40 bucks a night instead of 20 after driving 100's of miles to get there.

I dont see what the problem was with folks dealing in the parking lot. The folks putting on the meet get their money regardless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:44 pm:

It's not my deal and as I've said before I'll never drag a bunch of stuff down all the way from Montana again, I'll just go and set up a little booth inside with some cards and maybe a show carb or two. It's not the place to sell expensive carbs, it's a place to make people aware of what you are selling or what work you are doing for me. Your mileage may vary. Since I am self-unemployed I can go during the week and it actually works out fine for me as I can go to Texas for the weekend, hear some music and chase Texas girls. If I was 30, had a wife and kids and a job teaching school at that age there is no way I could go to it on a week day.

If they need more money here is what I would do. Charge EVERY person in the car or truck or whatever a $5 gate fee. Vendors, lookers, sellers, buyers, gawkers, lunch sellers, song and dance men and ladies of the night, who ever came through that gate would pay a gate fee. Good for the entire meet. No exceptions unless you are an employee of the fairgrounds - and they probably have their own gate. As long as everybody paid it nobody would complain. They could choose not to come in. That would pay for the grounds being open for a setup day. And add a little to the bottom line.

The fair in Lewistown charges every person who comes through the gate $1 per person. No exceptions. Got 6 people in the car. Six bucks. By yourself. A buck. One year Michael Martin Murphey and I were the night show. We had been out all day looking at some old ranches with a local historian while our bands set up sound equipment and did sound check, etc. His bus and my van and trailer were already in the grounds and when we drove up to the gate in my pickup the old guy at the performer entrance wouldn't let us in. Said, "Nope, the bands are already in here and I'm not letting you in without paying!!" We just laughed about it and went around to the front gate, gave them a dollar apiece, went to the ticket office and bought two tickets to see ourselves perform. Cost me $11 to hear myself and my band sing. But I also got to hear MMM do his show. Every time I've seen him after that we laugh about having to give them a buck to get into the fairgrounds and ten bucks apiece to hear our shows.

Chickasha could and should do the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

This year I was just a buyer, didn't have anything I wanted to sell. So I could not get in until Thursday morning and judging from what was for sale and what was marked sold, most swapping took place before I arrived.
Last year when I had a booth as a seller I sold at least half my stuff on the Wednesday evening in the parking lot. This year Friday was DEAD.
I for one will not go back as a buyer until the rules are changed....
My vote is for a Friday/Saturday event, set up for buyers....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:01 am:

Yes terry, it was rather stressful with the poor markings. Thankfully Jelf was able to lend a hand unloading. And at least he knew where the places were to eat. Being at the tiller when that trailer tire let go was a real white knuckler. Terry was tense fer sure. What a day. Glad Terry didn't blow a gasket.
George n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:06 am:

Oh, it blew George. You didn't see the coolant everywhere?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:41 am:

Oh I know it did, but a least you didn't warp the head too bad .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:54 am:

I've been to about half the Chickasha events starting about 1979 or so. I miss all the early brass cars that used to show up 35 years ago. Most of that market happens at Hershey or Bakersfield these days I think.

My preference would be to have it continue as is with no changes. I don't display my wares on Wednesday afternoon because the people buying on Wednesday are typically wanting a bargain and are just going to resell on Thursday or Friday in the swap meet. To get the best price from my items I have to be patient and display them in my space.

On the other hand buying from people on Wednesday is great for me. I don't have to worry about my booth being unattended.

The meet is the property of the owner and they get to decide, regardless of what the rest of us want. I hope they consider the consequences of their actions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:08 am:

I attended Ckickasha this year by myself. I drove all night to get there early. I was placed in the first line up to get into the meet. I was so tired walking and looking in the parking lot, I laid down in my truck, when I awoke, three or four lines had already gone inside. I just muscled my way into the meet without any objection, I guess size does matter. While in line, I did not open my trailer. I understand a vendor is there to sell anything and everything to anyone at any time. I do not begrudge a guy to make a buck, I would just like an equal chance at their parts.
By the way, Grady County Fairgrounds phone number is (405) 224-2031 if you would like to call for yourself and check rental figures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:10 am:

I was disappointed at Hershey 25 yrs. ago to much chrome for a 1200 mile trip. went back to pick up a car 5 yrs. ago still disappointed. lets do all we can to keep Chickasha going.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:05 am:

I missed this year's meet, but I've gone the two years prior. I was with McPherson College, so we had a booth. Since our booth was just some pamphlets for the Auto Restoration program, our setup took ten minutes. We were then free to wander. I know some people bring a lot more stuff, and that's great. What we did was to wander around the parking lot Wednesday to see who had what. We didn't buy anything, but we'd talk to people about what we could see. Just making mental notes. Then after everybody was set up, or at least for the most part, we'd go out there trying to buy. If we were lucky the parts we wanted were still there when we found the booth.

There has always been a lot of pre-meet trading in the lot Wednesday. At least from my understanding. A lot of guys put in their classified ads "Will deliver to Chickasha." That's probably part of the problem.

I understand this swap meet is for profit, and the only reason it's still the Chickasha Pre-War Swap Meet is because it's still in Chickasha. Maybe it would be worth at least researching other possibilities? If you could have the swap meet in another place and time for the same price (or less), maybe that would help attract new buyers. A common theme in this hobby/business has always been getting younger guys into it. If they can't make it to the meet, they won't be there. It's that simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:31 am:

Another thought occurred to me, if the Erstlands have control of the property Thursday, to me that means 12:01. If that is the case, why not check the vendors into the area then and stay up all night checking people in. It has always been my understanding, if one wants to make a buck, then one must put forth effort. I feel they want every vendor to dance to their beat. As far as presales, they are going to happen anyway.

I used to attend Jefferson, Wi. and Iola, Wi. swap meets, until Wisc wanted tax money for a weekend swap meet. When they contacted me at home, I simply told them that I went to just give my parts away for free and that I was getting out of the hobby. I never went back to either since 1995.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:47 am:

Iv never been to that swap meet but let me share what happened at a engine show I used to go to every year. The head thinkers of the show started making differant rules. Every season there was another rule and less engine guys would turn up. Last year I was the only engine guy that came. It only took them 15 years to take a show that you needed a reservation for a spot or you would not get one to a show that had no one show up. They ruled themselves out of a show and now no income.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:50 am:

I had a nice conversation with Susie Ersland yesterday, trying to better understand from their perspective view why the changes for 2015 were required. She explained, most comments were from attendees (not vendors) complaining it was NOT a Thursday/Friday event as advertised. Only one caller (me) had complained about the proposed 2015 changes. I explained my rationale and that it appeared the vendors were being penalized with cumbersome and perhaps unworkable changes because attendees could not plan be present when the action was best. I suggested adding a simple note of explanation on the website and event flyer explaining that Thursday was the key day and Friday tapered off due to vendors prior sales.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:53 am:

Everybody has there opinions as to what should be done. It will be what it is. Terry I bought a lot of your stuff at the price you asked. I did not try to argure you down. No criticism, but you seem to have tunnel vision as to what you need to do, being what the swap meet needs to be. You ended up so aggraviated with people wanting to buy as you set up that it was starting to really make a bad day for you. It is unrealistic to think people are going to stand back and watch you for hours settting up, and figure out the price of each item, then say "OK were open". You missed lots of your sales by covering your tables for hours and sending people away. My spaces were right across from yours so we saw the chaos of your set up time. I have done swap meets as a vendor for over 35 years years. You need your parts priced, or know what to ask, and ready to sell from the minute you leave home. As to being a "wholesale" meet. About 1/2 of my sales are always to other vendor/sellers. Im not trying to make you mad as I want you to have a good stress free meet at the Petitt Jean meet in Arkansas, this June. If you sell 1/2 of what you haul to a swap meet (even at wholesale prices) you did good. The person who said the swap meet starts with the first "howdy" is right. The person who said he wants a "equal chance" at the items. If you lay down and take a "nap" you threw away your equal chance. I leave at midnight to get there way before daylight to get in line, look, and buy. (I am wore out and need a nap at the end of the day, but I keep going). If the rules change I {and others) will change our tactics to buy stuff. We will buy in the Motel parking lots if need be. I hope the Erslands get it worked out, as Chickasha is still the best deal in town for a lot of us. As to being a social get together. All swap meets are a social get together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:31 am:

I emailed my thinking to the Erslands, maybe others should as well, one way or the other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:54 am:

Mike, if they are not reading this thread and the other long, long, long ones from just after the meet ---- they should be. It's their swap meet, they need to be keeping track of what people are doing and thinking of doing. I lived for over 60 years without ever going to it, I can live without it if it isn't profitable, pretty stress free and convenient. I enjoy seeing all the people and I did enough business that I will probably go back as long as I am here doing what I am doing but there are obviously people who are not and I've talked to more than one away from the forum who isn't planning to go again. It's not my deal. I don't really have a puppy in any dust up here. I have enough irons in the fire to try to keep warm I can't take time to worry about somebody else's business. However:

Want to know how many auctioneers have come and gone since I started in business 32 years and over 400 auctions ago?? And how many businesses we have sold out in that 32 years? Lots. Most because they weren't taking care of the people they wanted to take care of them. Even your friends will only eat at your restaurant about three times if your food is bad and the service lousy. The old adage is still true and always will be: Take care of your business or you won't have one to take care of.

I'm off to the shop for another 12 to 14 hour day and you probably are too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:55 am:

Mike
That was precisely the point I was making.
I wonder if the Ersland's are getting a parallax view of what needs to be done because all views/votes are not being heard?
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

Donnie, I left earlier than you. George and I left at 6 AM Tuesday morning, only to have a tire on my U Haul trailer blow in a construction zone on I 35, at West, Texas. At the same time, the trailer came unhooked and only the safety chains kept it with the vehicle. (Never had that happen in all my towing from Texas to Colorado and Texas to New Jersey and everywhere in between). George was driving and I remember the passenger side of the pickup, literally climbing the concrete construction barrier before settling back down on the pavement. While all this was happening, I was thinking "this is it" (the end). I was amazed that there was no visible damage to the pickup, other than trim. Of course now there are alignment problems, rattles that I didn't have before, a receiver hitch that needs repair to broken welds, and the smell of raw gas when the tank is full. We had to wait on the side of the interstate at least three hours, maybe four, for U Haul to get us going again. Because of all of this, we were after midnight, Wednesday morning getting to our motel. I was so stressed, if I hadn't had so much invested in the trip. I'd have turned around and gone back to Houston after the tire event. I did have a list of most of the parts that I took and prior to the meet, priced them, but didn't necessarily have each price on each part. Because of the problems getting to my spaces and the time wasted doing so, I was forced to change my pricing stategy and just place parts on different tables and sell parts on one table for $5, one table for $10, one table for $20, and the more valuable parts (like the Warford), I just quoted from my list. All in all, the events preceding the meet, combined to make the meet, a very unpleasant experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:35 pm:

I've been thinking next year I'll get a space and take some things to sell. After seeing Terry's stressful experience, and from observing over many years how not to sell, I intend to spend the next few months setting aside what I want to take, setting a price, and tagging each item. Having that done ahead of time should make setting up comparatively quick and simple. It will also let shoppers know the price if I'm with another customer or away from my space. If I'm teamed up with somebody else, it will eliminate the problem of the guy who's there not knowing the price of anything. I'll also have my phone number displayed so a buyer can reach me if I'm gone from the space. The big challenge will be getting it all organized and ready ahead of time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:55 pm:

Terry, I knew you were late but I had not heard about the trailer problem. Glad you did not get hurt. I can see that as a major part of you stressing at the meet. Hope to see you at Petitt Jean, and drive carefully.... Steve: It is a very good idea to price before you go. I started doing that so my wife knew what I wanted for the stuff. I am very seldom at my spaces. When she traveled with me it worked good as she useally would not come off the price, so the buyer went ahead and bought it. I travel with 2 friends today and we useally take turns at the spaces. By pricing all items we know what each one wants for the stuff. The main thing to remember is the moment you get to the meet you will be hit by everyone wanting to buy and know the prices. Its just the way it is, it will not change, no matter what you try. So be prepared to start selling as soon as the first person walks up to your stuff. I have even sold stuff off my trailer while I am driving down the rows to get to my spot. I have taken the money thru the window of the truck while parking. Pre-pricing stops a lot of problems. As the old saying "time is money" means. Use every second of your time to make you money. A big sign with your cell # and other info is always good to do. I useally make several good sales by someone calling me back to the spaces. Terry, If you are still planning on the Petitt Jean meet, it is a Tuesday to Saturday meet. A lot of us start setup the Sunday before the meet. Tuesday and Wednesday is very slow. It starts to pick up some by Wednesday. Thursday and Friday are the best buying and selling days for me. Saturday is the day of the car show. The crowds are bigger on Saturday, but most of them are what I call "tourist". They will mostly buy "women stuff" or people coming back to get something they saw earlier but did not want to spend there money on early in the game. The vendors are starting to load by noon Saturday and are starting to leave by 3:30 when vehicles are allowed to start moving again. If you have any questions about Petitt Jean send me a PM. I have been setting up there for over 35 years.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 03:32 pm:

Steve is right pre-pricing is the only way to go !!! my wife would never unload my stuff if it didn't have a price on it, just toss it back in the truck!!!charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 04:09 pm:

FIFTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for ONE Saturday?
Unless that fairground has another scheduled event for THAT Saturday I see where the problem lies.
It lies with the Fair Board!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 04:32 pm:

I went to a swap meet in NH last year to pick up some pre-ordered T parts and look around for whatever might be interesting.

I thought I was getting there early(6:30 AM)but ran into a traffic jamb consisting of people arriving and leaving.

Parking was a mess and people were walking all over the parking lot with armloads of stuff.
It took me about an hour to find the guy and get back to my car with the stuff I ordered.

By then 50% of the people had left and there was plenty of parking available.
It was not worth going back to look at stuff because some of the vendors were packing up and leaving - it was not yet 8 AM of an all day event and it was pretty much over.

I will never go back unless I am picking up something that I ordered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

I too have experienced the issue (many times) of trying to set up my spaces with three guys tugging on my sleeve asking about this part or that item. They always handle it well when I ask them to please come back in an hour or so when I can give them the attention they deserve. They almost always do. I expect it will be worse under this new system, but I will keep my good humor and remember that without these guys (most of whom are my friends) there would be no swap meets. Someone or some group will always be unhappy no matter what is done; therefore I will keep in mind that, as Stan Howe and I discussed, the only way to ensure that everybody gets upset is to try to please everybody.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:25 pm:

I went to Chickasha this year and had a good time.
I wasn't looking for any hard to find parts. Everything I bought could have been bought with a phone call and plastic and been at my door in a week or less but then I wouldn't have heard first hand John Regan's comments on the functioning of a generator cutout v regulator or Kevin Prus' telling me the manufacturing process of the new Prus higher compression head or seen first hand the new TW timer or Elizabeth from Classtique telling me the finer points of ordering and installing a new top or finally cajoling Stan Howe in to building me a carburetor nor would I have met any of the other fine vendors that took time to answer my questions.
As far as the young guys attending..... the first person I saw when we pulled into the parking lot was Dylan Wills and his wife from Washington state, they are both in their 20's. Dylan and his wife had to have traveled the same 4000 round trip miles we did. I think no matter the days held if you want to be there you will find a way!
As far as parking lot buying it's going to happen no matter what. A swap meet is no different than a store downtown having a sale, if you want the good deals you get there early!
Good Luck with whatever is decided........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:05 pm:

Fred,

Was that Amherst, NH?

Some vendors set up the night before & sleep in their trucks on the field. When I went we entered the field almost needing a flashlight - before dawn's bright light!

Interesting experience!!

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:38 pm:

This was the first year I missed going for a long time. I would have loved to been there instead of where I was. I sense some sour grapes from the new guys. They don't seem to want anyone to know where they live,or want to join in the clubs,local and national,yet they feel they should be first in line to quibble over the parts. You already know there is a swap meet scheduled next year,so plan for it. Save your money,and schedule your vacation so you can be there.We old timers paid our dues that way,many years ago. If you want something bad enough,you will find a way to work for it.I wish it were a 3-4 day event.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:47 pm:

The problem isn't the old timers that paid their dues. The problem is the hobby looses the old timers at a faster rate than it is acquiring young members. If this continues, the parts that the old timers have aquired will be worth little more than scrap in coming years. I would like to be able to sell mine before then and I'm only 54 but clearly see the issue at hand.

I agree with Stan that for $15K rent for one day, there are plenty of other venues that will accommodate the needs of the hobby rather than the needs of the organizer.

I'm guessing this could be held at Petit Jean or some other nearby location on Memorial Day weekend and be a big hit. A three day weekend would serve the hobby well. Not everyone gets a lot of vacation as is the case of a buddy of mine. I get four weeks and he gets two. A few days for me is not a big deal, for him, more so. Just an opinion, been to Chickasha a number of times and remember the first time driving on Thursday. We went Thursday afternoon to the fairgrounds and were shocked Friday morning at the lack of anything. Considering this is advertised as a three day event, we were lucky the first year that we first stopped on Thursday afternoon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ned Protexter on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:45 am:

Here is one thought of the never ending question of how/why do we get young people involved in the hobby that I realized when at Chickasha this last year. You're never going to have an overwhelming youth presence in Model T's. Now does this mean that there will not be anyone around and this hobby will dry up? I don't think so. It just means that people come to this hobby at a later phase in their lives.

So what does this mean for Chickasha? I would say that for the few younger (ages 20-35) guys out there that say they can't make it, you could probably let them pick the date and place and they still wouldn't go. The younger guys I saw there were the same ones I see every year who make this event a priority. They also usually come with a family member or friend and can split costs that way. If I didn't go with my dad I probably would not go as after paying fuel, hotel, and meals, There wouldn't be much left to buy any parts.

As far as these changes to Chickasha go, I don't think it is going to make a difference with getting younger people to the meet. I feel that this is similar to the whole politically correct movement in that it is trying to appease a small minority while the overall majority would like to keep it the way it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 10:16 am:

I think Ned makes a great point. Not only about the Model T hobby, but all hobbies. Most hobbies are enjoyed by people as they get older and have more disposable time and money on their hands. In these days of unsettling economies, I feel the general population has less disposable money and therefore less free time than ever before. There will always be exceptions to that, but I think that applies to the bulk of people.
There is no easy answer to fix the perceived problems with Chickasha or any other event. These events just evolve into what they have become. Some events grow, some events stay the same and some disappear.
In Southern and Northern California, there used to be a car club sponsored swap meet nearly every weekend of the year. Every regional group of nearly every old car club hosted a swap meet. Virtually all of those events have gone by the wayside. Part of the demise is certainly the availability of items on the internet. Part is the cost and liability of producing an event. Back then, parks, businesses with parking lots and fairgrounds would basically give the sponsoring clubs the space to host an event-especially since these events were typically club fundraisers. Liability was hardly a concern. The swap spaces were 10 bucks, the admission was free, people would drive their old cars to the events and the club would sell hot dogs and sodas to raise money. Today, the world is a different place. You just can't do things like that anymore.
The other factor is the lack of "barns full of stuff" that people can buy and bring out to resell. I used to always have a garage bay or two full of swap meet things to sell. Now days, if I did decide to sell at a swap meet, I don't think I could fill up half of a pickup bed. Before the internet, the reproduction parts vendors relied on swap meets to sell their parts and hand out catalogs, now they have the internet to promote their businesses and only set up at a couple meets a year such as Hershey, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:13 pm:

As a young guy, I love going to swap meets. I get to see all these guys who've done this for a good chunk of their lives and will continue doing it as long as their bodies let them. I order a lot of parts on the internet, but that's due to a lack of swap meets. Whenever I hear about one, I do my best to work it into my schedule. Other events have a tendency to get in the way, but swap meets are an important part of the hobby and I hope they continue to be. Ordering parts online isn't as much fun as digging through rusty crusty junk for that "much-needed" treasure.

If the event coordinators aren't on this forum, which they really should be, perhaps we can start contacting them directly? It seems there are a lot of misinformation rolling around, especially concerning the cost of renting the facilities. I know it's none of our business why they do things the way they do, but perhaps they can help put some of these myths to rest. Does anybody have an email or phone number for the coordinators?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:20 pm:

www.pwsm.com ph# 405-224-9090.charely

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:44 pm:

Dave - Yes it was Amherst. I agree it was interesting :-)

I picked up 4 tires and a few things from Don Lang to save the cost of shipping and Mass sales tax at the last 2013 swap.
It was late in the year, cold, wet, and foggy.

When I arrived at 6:30 AM I could tell that there had been a lot of action by the number of people that were carrying parts to their vehicles but the feeding frenzy was just beginning to wind down.

I think Ron Mc Willie is correct about vendors using the internet to promote their products.
I also believe that eBay, Craig's list, and forum swap sections are replacing the need for local swap meets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 11:12 am:

We did not make it this year due to my wife ending up in the hospital, I see their point on what days, but when you have 75 vendors trying to get to one door and unload on than morning, it would be a waste of time, if we could not unload due to trailers blocking the door it might be 1 pm before we could unload, and two hours to set up, well that day is shot and leaving the next day, if this is the new rule I will stay home, it cost me about two grand for this trip and set up for a few hours, do the math, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:09 pm:

I have to leave friday evening so with set up friday morning amid all the comotion that will be I probably will not vend next year. It's a 4000 mile round trip for me and very well may not be worth it. At this time so far in advance I'm not saying that I wouldn't go again but if I go it will most likely only be as a buyer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 12:06 am:

Dale, I think they are planning setup on Thursday morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:34 am:

Sounds like we're losing some great vendors due to this rule. I'm starting to wonder if we're going to have this meet in a few years. It's hard to get young people involved in the hobby already, but it's even harder when we don't have these great events.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:52 am:

This has been going on for several days without a response from the Erslands. This is a very popular meet and a yearly highlight for the serious old car guy. I think a clarification is in order to separate fact from rumor. All criticism I feel has been of a constructive nature.
The votes are in and its time for the results.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:25 am:

Hm - I'm glad I visited the meet in 2010 and I better watch this space before I arrange a trip for 10 - 15 Danish Model T and A entusiasts to the Chickasha Swapmeet.
Here is what the whole argue is about:
The "vultures" shows up as soon as a new vendor arrives.
A new vendor has just landed on Wednesday and the "Vultures" show upright away...... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:38 am:

DENVER PRE 45 MEET:

Pre 45 meet considered by the Denver T Club for next year. If you are interested or have any ideas please contact Brian Golden at 303-680-3727 or email Brian at bgolden71@msn.com.

At this point the Loveland Swap meet is by far the best for T parts, but I think a pre 45 meet would even be better even if it starts out small.
I think that what got Chickasha started so good was backing by the HCCA. I hope Denver can get some backing from the HCCA also.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:46 am:

I really don't see what the problem is with the parking lot swapping. The Erslands don't get their money from the sale of parts, they get it from renting the spaces inside, and those are already paid for by the vendors who are in the parking lot. I agree with Warren that it would be good to hear from the Erslands, to get some real information about what they have planned for the meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 02:51 pm:

I emailed the Erslands via the swap sight, they either don't check it, or don't care enough to email a person back. I explained to them the safety issue I feel that will ensue trying to get everyone in the gate at 7AM, traffic coming from both ways, told them between motels food and fuel I send a grand in that town, I do vend but also buy at the swap meet, 2000 to 5000 a year. If they switch it, and then see it doesn't work, tough to switch it back and get everybody back. seems like everyone knows, that theres trading in the parking area, plan on being there wed, if your worried about the "vultures"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 03:01 pm:

Then, Chickasha should be a Wednesday-Thursday meet. Nobody would have to worry about 'vultures' and The Erlands wouldn't have to worry about renting the fairgrounds on premium price days from the County. The only thing buyers would have to worry about is 'skeletons', because that is all that is left after Friday Noon! Very few buyers. Very few vendors, and JUNK left to pick from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 03:35 pm:

Stan. Youre correct. I mis spoke when I said friday morning set up. Anyway I will be going next year as I agreed to build 2 cylinder Reo body and deliver it to chickasha next year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Linsenbarth on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 04:07 pm:

OH-K! I just read all you guy's posts, sounds to me like what it really has become is a one day swap meet. So if you guys really want to attract younger people this problem could be as simple as
vendors set up Friday night after 7PM and open to the general public 5 AM Saturday morning, shut it down at 4PM and vendors go home by 7PM Saturday evening.
Hey I had a great time at Chickasha, sold more stuff then I would have dreamed and the stuff wasn't even mine, so I know I made some people happy. But to tell you guys the truth I was really disappointed, hearing all the people saying good bye to other people because they where packing up and not going to be there Friday.
I didn't return Friday, because I had already seen most every thing that was there and figured nothing new would be there Friday so why make the drive. OK! Now somebody shoot me in the head.
Charley
PS--I'll be back next year, but for one day only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:45 am:

My wife and I have done flea markets and shows for 17 years, never understood the concept of packing up early unless you sold out. A quick way to kill a good trade show or swap meet is for the vendors to leave early. Once you are there and set up, rent paid, stay till it's over if nothing else to respect other vendors and potential customers. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:32 am:

They could run it like the Petit Jean meet -- no vehicles in or out between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. Since everyone drives in and out only one gate, it would be easy to monitor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:40 am:

I think no leaving till 4:00 would help. (unless emergency) Also if the Erslands would just ask the vendors to not pack up early would also go a long way toward helping. Some would gripe but most would comply. If you sell out, then take the remaining time to just visit a little. The swap meet needs to stay at least the 2 1/2 days because of so many people traveling so far to get there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:44 am:

It is fine if you have the time to sit in 1 place for the full lenght of the event. But sadly Some folks dont have that luxury.
Company's don't give vacation when the employee wants it much anymore.If at all.
Just looks to me like a few old car folks need to create a new meet and everyone shift over to it because this 1 is headed the way of the Dodo bird.
It is ruling it's self out.
The event planners should not have any say over what happens outside their gates. Especially if they are getting their money anyhow.
The only thing I can think of that might remotely justify 15 grand for 1 day is cost of insurance for the event. People suing over every thing makes public events expensive because of insurance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 11:09 am:

But liability applies every day, not just on Saturday. They charge more for that day because they think they can get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 11:12 am:

so im thinking, of total buyers, what percent of vendors are buyers, what percent are buyers only, what percent are just lookers. if u are only only buying should u have a space, should u be aloud to use a space for just parking your truck, what are the odds that the Erslands will ever even comment on this topic or return a email.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 04:47 pm:

I was just talking about staying till 4:00 each day. Not the whole meet. Even Petitt Jean will let you leave if you need to. But if you know going in that you are supposed to "try" and stay till 4:00 that most everyone will do it. I do agree that the meet is dying unless the Erslands get something together that works. I do not think the Erslands care about the parking lot swapping. There has been complaining from the buyers for years. (the ones who do not set up) They are the ones who are to lazy to get up early and get out there like my friends and myself (and others) do(way before daylight) They want to get up, take a shower, sit a little bit and wake up, drink their coffee, stop by McDonalds for breakfast and" have some more coffee, visit a little bit, and then show up after it warms up and then have a equal and fair chance at the parts... The Erslands have heard that very small minority complain and have been trying to make them happy also. They will never please everyone but they better keep there vendors happy or they are out of business. Mike, as to the percentage of buyers, sellers, ect. Probably hard to say. But from 35 plus years of being a vendor, I can tell you that in my opinion, 75% of my sales are to another vendor. Almost "all" of the vendors are also collectors or hobbyist. That applies to car parts and supplies. The rest of my sales are antiques, arts and crafts, and misc items for the women and kids. ect. I do wish the Erslands would get on here and have a dialog with the vendors instead of just listening to a few people. Those people have there right to their opinions also, but the Erslands need to talk to lots of people to get a good idea of what may work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Dailledouze on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 07:41 pm:

I was there as a vendor both this past spring and a number of years previous. The swap meet had been set up in the past on Thursday (set up day), Friday, Saturday and every went home early Sunday (thouse that even stayed). Sold a lot more, saw a lot more customers and even folks from Europe.

As this meet was closing someone asked me how the meet was, told him the truth, while I sold a good deal it has been diminished. So here are my thoughts:

1) There was an urban myth that two warring parties split and ran two separate meets the same weekend. If so, shame on all those involved. If not (not fighting) get together and make plans on separate weekends.

2) Swap meets are a business, run it like one. Advertise a lot more. Do modern advertising on the internet etc.

The person I ran into blamed it on everything but the real fact or facts. If times are changing then change your marketing, change your dates and change your methods.

Get those together that were bickering (or simply running two events on one weekend)and make better plans.

If nothing is done this event will be a thing of the past. We all have given our input, I as one would be willing to sit down with the planning folks and try to help.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration