Inner rear axel oil,seal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Inner rear axel oil,seal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:08 pm:

I just got a sleeve puller and pulled both back sleeves which were badly worn, my problem is I don't see any seal behind the sleeve there appears to be a shoulder but I think it is the casting, I was under the understanding I would find a felt seal and washer if what I see is the washer it is really stuck I tried to fish it out with a stiff steel wire no luck, I measured the distance into the shoulder and it is about the same as the sleeve don't think I have room for a new seal which I have ordered, how can I find out if that is casting or stuck washer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

Ford didn't put any seals there until the improved 1926 models came in august 1925 with larger lined emergency brakes. If someone complained at the dealers they had large felt washers to shove in there and they do work for a while. Some prefer to use them even today, but they're somewhat hard to put in place.. The neoprene inner seals available now is likely the best solution to stop rear axle oil from diluting the outer bearing grease and leak out. The outer felt seal with washer may work well with an inner seal in place.

note: In period litterature they refer to the rear axle lube as a grease, so it was likely less fluid than today's 600w - but we also do see a lot of wear in old axles we take apart, so modern fluid lube with the best seals might be a better idea when we want our cars to hold up for as long as possible. One big reason for axle leaks was/is engine oil leaking along the drive shaft tube and overfilling / diluting the rear axle lube. That was another big reason for leaks.

If your car never leaked engine oil into the rear axle and always had semi-fluid grease in the pumpkin back in the day, then maybe noone has had enough reason to put any felt seals in there?

Has the axle halves been apart to check the thrust washers? If you still have original lead babbitt thrust washers there, you may want to change them to bronze replacements - the originals tends to crack with age and the left one may leave you without transmission brake when it breaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

Roger ,thanks I guess I just don't have any in there but as I said before I don't think I have room for them won't be able to get the sleeve all the way back in. My back wheel had up,and down play but it was tight when you pulled or pushed on it so I think my thrust washers are ok

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:50 pm:

You might want to look at this, then make your decision regarding the thrust washers.

http://www.dauntlessgeezer.com/DG79.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 05:54 pm:

Since the sleeves are a little longer then the Hyatt bearings, you may grind some off the inner end of the sleeves to make room for the neoprene seal if necessary and still being able to put the sleeves in place. Before the large drums came with the leather seals the room for a seal varies - better room on some axles, less on others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Monday, April 28, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

John, there should be room for the neoprene seals. Just shove it down in with a piece of PVC pipe, then insert your sleeve. That's what I did on my '15 that didn't have any. The cone shaped part goes in first.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration