Rear axle grease?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rear axle grease?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:27 am:

I would normally just use 600w for my diff, but I was looking through the hcca board and they had link to john deere corn head grease. Has anyone here used it? After I watched the little vid, it kinda makes sense and has got me thinking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:58 am:

Here is a link to the HCCA discussion: http://boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=731

Here is another discussion at the AACA forum with some interesting input:
http://forums.aaca.org/f208/another-hupmobile-model-20-a-354374-6.html
"Cahartely" wrote:
"I'm going to chime in about the Type OO grease.
Type O is commonly known as John Deere corn head grease.
It's a flowable grease which has much less tendency to leak out of the gear boxes on combine corn heads.
Type OO is even more "liquid" and is very much like 600 weight oil.
I use Type O in my Dodge transmission which is still a crash box but not QUITE as bad."

Maybe the slightly thinner type OO would be better at flowing into the diffrential and reach all the wear points?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

SAE 140 works for me, especially with a Ruckstell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:14 pm:

The Ruckstell needs 90.
I'd use 80-90 or 85-140..
Best to use SAE 90 GL4
Some claim GL 5 will eat the yellow metals (brass) and turn brass & bronze gray after several years.
A non-Ruckstell should use 140.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration