New-New Day Timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: New-New Day Timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:16 pm:

I hope that someone would reproduce the New Day Timers again. I tried several others and I miss them. I knew the latest of the reproductions were not great. I usually beefed up the snout with J-B Weld. I am now running one and have another used one as back-up. Does anyone have new old stock of them? Any help would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:27 pm:

Watch eBay, they will not be cheep. Sometimes good or new ones come up. Go to swap meets, place an ad here or one of the other T sites.
To a certain extent the old ones can be dressed down and reused.
Try this one, so far the reports have been good;
http://www.modeltford.com/item/3221CB.aspx
OT
Wish they would sell just the brush assembly. I can sorta understand why they don't. If the case is not true, round and smooth the brush would still bounce and the reports would be; it didn't work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

Most of the parts dealers do sell the brush assembly. I believe the supplied brush is too hard and should be replaced with a carbon brush filed to fit in its place.

Fast shopping is often expensive shopping. If you're not in a hurry, swap meets are a good place to buy New Day timers. Everybody in the world who wants one can attend eBay and drive up the price. Not everybody will be at a swap meet. At Chickasha I blew big bucks ($20) for one. At Wichita I bought a pair for $5.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:49 pm:

Thanks all for your input. In Utah we do not have many swap meets. We used to, about 20 to 30 years ago. I will look on EBay. Thanks, Kevin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 04:13 pm:

I'm curious as to why the timer from Lang's has an oiler cup on it........ ?
Oil is the last thing you want on a carbon brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

Correction: The New Day brush I mentioned above was listed in the 2012 Lang's catalogue, but isn't in the 2014 edition. Apparently it's no longer available. But before giving up I'd check with all the parts dealers and see if they still have some in stock.

Craig, the only brush timer I see is a rebuilt Ford timer with a brush instead of a roller. Being a Ford timer, it still has the oil hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 05:34 pm:

Kevin, I like the New Day timers too but could not find enough serviceable ones for all my car. I started using the TW timers which are a brush style timer also and so far have been very pleased with their performance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 05:47 pm:

Snyders and Macs has the New Day brush's in their
latest catalogs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:46 pm:

I'm sure glad I started collecting New Days years ago! I used to buy NOS ones for $5!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

Someone told me the New Days that Gas Light sells are the superior ones as far as reproductions go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:55 pm:

Larry, I tried Gas Light and they were out too. Snyder's said they did manufacture them, but aren't going to in the future. I looked on EBay today and there is one, but it looks worn on the inside and I do not have a lathe. I will keep looking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

I am sorry I should have been more clear. I was referring to the brush for the new style timer not the New Day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:32 pm:

Kevin, get it while its hot!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920-s-Ford-Model-T-New-DAY-Accessory-Timer-Cover-Cap-/1 51290751065?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2339a1a859&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:23 am:

And again, I cant figure out why New Days cant be reproduced today with the right materials that are available.

Some of the repo stuff for T's I would never buy but a good New Day I would. And others would to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 10:55 am:

Larry:

Gaslight has not made any for many years. Yes they were good and no they have no tooling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 10:55 am:

I agree with John. With the space age materials we have now days there should be something that would work. Maybe even the original material, what ever that is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:08 am:

A crystal timer works just like the New Day and is glass not plastic. You would need to get the new ring holder for it since the pot metal originals have swollen and don't fit the cover plate. You can get a crystal timer with brush through Glenn Bates, he's listed here under Model T Suppliers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

A new aluminum base for the Crystal timer is in Lang's catalogue, and I suspect other dealers will have it too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 06:35 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-NEW-DAY-TIMER-4-CYL-MODEL-T-FORD-NEW-OLD-STOCK-/ 251518492993?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8faba141

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 07:29 pm:

That's the dreaded "S" model, made by Snyder's. They're the ones which have the reputation of wearing out fast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

John Baumgarten, from New York State used the same original Crystal Timer for over 20 years.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration