21 inch demountable rim tab broke

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 21 inch demountable rim tab broke
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

hello everyone,

I was changing tires and rims on my 22 touring, they are in good shape but I untightened the 4 mounting bolts and the tab broke clean off the rim. I was going to have a shop professionally weld it back on. question though - with the 4 tabs being fracture critical and a safety concern, is this an acceptable repair or should I get a new rim? thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:12 pm:

I've had several demountable rims that the lugs looked "questionable" and had all 4 of the lugs welded up from the inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:14 pm:

I also had 1 tab break off of a demountable wheel. Hit the other 3 with my hand. 2 more fell off! I have a few of these tabs on hand ,I took off of trashed rims so I tried to fix a rim. No luck yet. What's needed is a jig to hold the Tabs and rim in the proper place.
It was easier to find another rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:34 pm:

To be sure all four tabs are in the proper position, I'd bolt them to a felloe before welding them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:21 pm:

A word of caution. If the swedging that held the lugs on is gone, it is very possible that the entire bead area is very thin. Be sure to check this area carefully. I've personally had two of the 21" rims split in the bead area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:07 am:

You think that after 90 years they would make a rim that lasts!

Check with your Ford dealer to see if they are still covered by the warranty :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:54 pm:

Dennis is right - there might be a recall on Model T rims.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration