Period-Correct Disc Brakes — well, sort of... maybe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Period-Correct Disc Brakes — well, sort of... maybe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 05:47 pm:

I was just thinking (yeah, I know—bad):

The good thing about hydraulic disc brakes on a Model T is that they stop the car at least as well as anything else, in either direction, wet or dry.
The bad thing is they look very wrong and are very conspicuous.

But hey, what if a set of discs could be made to hide inside a set of Rocky Mountain brake drum replicas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

Bob -- You could hide the rotor, but not the caliper. Maybe hiding the rotor would make the caliper less noticeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

Bob,

Just a thought. Didn't Crosley use really small disc brakes?

Now, I realize that Crosley parts aren't falling out of the trees anymore but I figure the smaller-the better, right? Gotta be easier to hide than something off a Crown Vic. and anything has to be better than stock T brakes.

Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:25 pm:

Mike,
A Rocky Mountain drum measures (wait a sec while I go down to the garage with a tape measure)...
... Yeah, the drum is about twelve inches across. That's not enough to hide a small disc and caliper?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

Bob,

I honestly don't know what the dimensions are for Crosley disc brake components.

Google Service Motors. They are the #1 parts supplier for Crosley parts and I believe were once a Crosley dealer. They can give you the specifics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

What about what Ford here and probably there did/does, they instal a small thin plate within the alloy when centre to hide the hub, when it rusts ... could a small thin plate mounted on the inner side of the wheel and painted say black hide the disc and part of the caliper ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

Bob, I found these wheels, but I can't afford them. Take a look at this web page:www.antiquetmotorsports.com. They are in LaHabra,CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:13 pm:

What about adapting motorcycle brakes? Aren't they smaller? If they stop a motorcycle doing 70 mph I guess they would stop a Model T doing 30 mph. If anything they could be a back up system when you loose your primary brakes. Being smaller they would be easier to hide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 08:47 pm:

Wish these were still around, sold for a few years in the '80's. Not available any longer :-(

Know a T'er who has a set on an early brass, and loves 'em. For me, this would be the way to put rear hydraulic brakes on the T. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

Dan

Lynn Cook of New Johnsonville TN (passed last month) made his own like that set for a number of his cars. He told me he bought everything from Napa for about $40. He used cast iron drums and the brake shoes off of about a 1980's Plymouth Aeries. His were mechanically actuated but worked well. I never asked him why he didn't use the wheel cylinder off the same model car. If anyone could have made it work it was Lynn. I might be wrong of the year, it might have been an 82.

Lynn was extremely talented and will be deeply missed by our chapter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

There was a guy in my area that did the same thing with Toyota Corona MK2 shoes and drums.
The drums were inset (concave)half way between the outside and the centers so he could still us his Houk or Buffalo wire wheels.
There is no need for a hydraulic cylinder when you have two wheel brakes.
I have hydraulic brakes on the rear of my '26 touring and when I pull the hand brake I can slide the wheels just as far as when I use the hydraulic foot brake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

Bob,Your cartoon the other night has made me think! What about a anvil with a rope?Peroid correct,no moving part's to break,and no forigen part's! The only downside is the Amish might lust after your dual purpose machine? I hope if the thought police are watching they will let me post rather than wait 24 hours!! Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:42 pm:

I installed the front wheel brakes (left and right side configuration) from a Honda Goldwing Motorcycle on the rear of my 1919, and I know that they have saved my life at least 2 times so far!
I don't really give a rat's butt if they look "period correct" or not. Period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:26 pm:

I have Motorcycle disc brakes on my 23 rdster, have lost them twice, last time I hit a new Mustang in the rear at bottom of a hill, parked car, and its still sitting 10 yrs plus now, waiting on a better system, and better health.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration