Differential Housing Evaluation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Differential Housing Evaluation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:00 pm:

I have been disassembling my rear end and needed some advise on the differential housings part numbers (2512C and 2513C). I have included some pictures of the parts and some of the areas in question.

The first Picture is of part 2513C. The Large Hole measures 1.8132 where it rides on the axle gear. I have new Axle Gears but what is the wear limit on this hole? Is this part ( 2513C )supposed to have the ridge near the top, is it a steel washer cut? (See Arrow in picture)

2513C

Second is the inside of 2513C It has some corrosion pits on the bearing surface. If this part is good, can I mill out the inside and smooth out that bearing face that the axle gear rides on?

2513C Corrosion

Third picture is of part 2512C. The Large Hole measures 1.8135 where it rides on the axle gear. Should it have this ring near the top? Is that a steel washer cut?

2512C

Fourth picture is the pin area of 2512C. The pin is loose and there is some pitting near it. Is this a concern? Do you recommend installing a second pin location across from the original pin, making two pin contacts? I think I read this in the MTFCA book.

2512C One Pin

Thanks
Adam Corts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:41 pm:

Nothing there a good machinist can't fix. Those pits on last picture are probably there from day one. If you need a better right side,contact me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:05 pm:

Are the groves in picture one and picture three supposed to be there? Is it safe to have a machine shop face cut the inside of the right and left housing to freshen up the axle gear bearing surface? What did you think about the measurements for the large holes that ride on the axle gear?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions but I don't have a good set to look at to know if these groves and things are normal or should be there. Some of the pictures I have seen, the right side housing does not have that ring grove shown in picture one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:14 pm:

All the rings are wear from rear axle washers. I would not try to face any bearing surfaces inside as your end play would be excessive.If you need a better one I will give it to you for the shipping. A bushing can easily be made to press on there. I have had to have it done in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

The pits in third picture are really nothing to worry about as a steel washer rides there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:50 pm:

Here's how it should look. Are you using the MTFCA axle book?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:58 pm:

Adam Corts;

Any machine shop can fix the ridge for you at little cost. Also Jack Daron is right DON'T face the inside. those few pits won't hurt the steel trust washer.

ruckstell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 11:59 pm:

I should read more carefully. I see you are using the book. Yes, Glen says add a second pin on the left housing. Just follow his instructions on Pages 24-25.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 02:14 pm:

I was worried that the axle gear bearing surface would get torn up with all the pitting on that inside face of the differential case. Face cutting the inside of the case, would increase the distance and play in the axle gear to the spider gears inside the differential case.

I see what everyone is saying there, that would not be a good idea.

For some reason I was thinking that the over sized new thrust washers would take that extra slop up after a face cut but realized that it would not take up the slop in that inside portion of the differential case.

What are peoples thoughts on putting in the second steel washer pin? Is that a worthwhile upgrade?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 02:40 pm:

Adam,

Adding a second pin, and/or putting in an oversize one to fix the loose pin, are the only things I would do to those housings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

Hey Adam, I did my rear-end a little over a year ago and would definitely recommend adding the second pin. While working on my rear end I ended up taking 3 apart - I needed a new spider carrier as the shoulder for the steel thrust washers on my original one was worn much worse than yours. I think that having good pins is critical to the longevity of the parts back there. The picture that Steve has is primo, even the one I ended up using to rebuild didn't look that nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:15 pm:

I believe what you are referring to is the differential case, NOT the housing, which is what the differential case goes into.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Corts on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:57 pm:

Larry thinks for the clarification. I noticed that and have tried to correct it in some of my newer posts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration