Oil question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Oil question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Meadors 29 Palms CA on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

The reason I had asked about how much oil for a 23 T was because I generally put 4 quarts in and don't think about it. So then I read previously in the forum that when you top your oil off you should turn the top valve open until it seeks the right level. Which I did and it dripped and it dripped and it dripped and it didn't stop for 4 hours or more as I had left it overnight. This amounted to 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil in my catch pan.
What's the deal as the car is sitting on level ground do you think 29 Palms is on the level?
Cecil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 07:57 pm:

I wouldn't worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 09:54 pm:

4 qts. is for a dry motor and 3 1/2 qts. for an oil change. When changing oil, the dipper wells normally hold back 1/2 qt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 01:02 pm:

My T drips oil from everywhere so when I change the oil I just open top petcock and slowly add oil until it comes out in a little stream.

I figure that the oil will find it's happy level like the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 05:00 pm:

1/4 to 1/2 cup is 2 to 4 fl oz or 1/16 to 1/8 of a quart. No T engine in the world is gonna notice the difference. I'm not anal about oil level. If it runs out the bottom cock, I'll go for a drive. When I change oil, I add until it runs out the top one then I close it. Now, this is running 5W-30. For you guys talking about running SAE 70, maybe you should leave the top cock open overnight just to make sure all that molasses has settled to an acceptable level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 05:47 pm:

Good one Hal!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:02 pm:

It's called surface tension. All liquids have it. Hal and Fred have the right system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:37 pm:

I would think if you use SAE 70 you should put in an extra gallon or two to make sure the crank can splash it around.
That stuff aint gonna run down the oiler tube very fast.
It sure aint gonna flood the valve guides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

Can't say I disagree. 'Course, I could be wrong, Frequently am, but I don't see myself running any 70 any time soon. I use 20W-50 in my Harley. It leaks. Several years ago, I found Kendall, either 60 or 70, and figured it might slow the leaking. It ran OK the day I put it in there, but the next time I went to ride it, it was a cool morning. I couldn't hardly kick the thing over. Needless to say, I drained that stuff and went back to 20W-50.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Meadors 29 Palms CA on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:25 pm:

I am still a newbie and just trying to get the routine down. It's my 2nd oil change and I appreciate your input.
There is a car show at our local park this weekend. Now that I am finished with the build of my 23 York Depot Hack I am going to go strut my stuff.
Cecil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:30 pm:

How 'bout some pictures Cecil? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

Sorry for the thread drift.

You'll be fine. Nothing wrong with the way you are doing it. As a matter of fact, that's how the book says do it. I just don't feel it really makes that much difference. You'll be fine. And good luck with the show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Landes on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:21 pm:

I keep 5 qts. in my '15 for the last 30+ years as I don't have a outside oil line.Mine is driven a lot and yes it does leak more than it should...my dad lectured me for years about it but have had no problems...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration