1914 Horn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1914 Horn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 05:23 am:

While cleaning the horn on my 1914 Touring, I found a manufacturers mark. It's a diamond shape with "Standard" marked inside. It's faint, but it's there. The horn is brass painted black. I thought that Rubes and Non-Pairel were the only ones supplying horns for Ford for 1913/14?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 06:37 am:

Bill,

Rubes, Non Pariel, and Standard Thermometer were all suppliers of horns for the Model T from 1913 - 1915. All of them I have seen were made entirely from brass except the mounting bracket - in some cases - is cast iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 06:46 am:

Royce, thanks for clarifying that. From everything I've read, they only mention the Rubes and Non Pariel so I'm glad to hear that Standard Thermometer was also a supplier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 10:58 am:

If your horn is an original '14, the mounting bracket should be oval. Standards aren't real common.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:03 am:

Yup, the bracket is indeed oval and made of something other than brass. By the looks of the original firewall where the horn was attached I'd say it is original to the car. Does anyone have any background information on the Standard Thermometer Co.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:24 pm:

On Thursday, October 14, 1909, a U.S. federal trademark registration was filed for STANDARD by STANDARD THERMOMETER CO. in BOSTON MASS. The company's primary business is thermometers and speedometers according to the filing. Company headquarters are in Peabody, Mass.

I find examples of their vintage thermometers for sale at various websites with patent dates in the mid 1800's, so the company had been around for a while prior to entering the automotive market.

When you search the internet for something with such a generic name it is hard to find relevant information. Maybe Russ Furstnow can add some knowledge here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:57 pm:

I believe that Standards were essentially 1914 and 1915 horns. I don't think they were used in either late '12 or during '13. Larry said they're not real common, which is correct, but they were the only type I found this year at Bakersfield.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration