Steering in '26 Coupe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Steering in '26 Coupe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:40 am:

The red-headed stepchild of the family is a ’26 Coupe and it belongs to my oldest son. It exists in the family stable as it is a 3rd generation car and my son tries to keep it just like Grand-pop left it.

The steering is sick…

It goes over center on a left hand turn and Grand-pop never worried about it, just took things slow and easy and never had a problem. Right after grand-pops passing, I tried to do a k-turn in it and you guessed it…locked hard to the left.

I jumped out, and scolded my son that it really does need to be fixed as it was a menace to all. He didn’t react at the time but recently he moved his own car/motorcycle/Pontiac Smokey & the Bear T/A collection to a new 25 x 60 building and moved his T over on the trusty F-350 fantail vulture wagon. Backing off the slant bed, trying a turn at the same time, he apparently had the ride of his life and now it was can ‘we’ look at it! :-)

I/we pulled the steering wheel and top cap on the column, took the gears out, and used dental picks to get all of the grease out of the lower gear case under the spider. Oh my…no slot at all left in the lower gear case! Even after I picked at it a second and a third time! Smooth as a whistle.

So since it is a ’26 and I know nothing about 26’s other than everything seems to always be tweaked just a wee bit differently different…I need some advice on options before I start ripping everything apart and have no plan for getting it back together.

1- I have a May of 25 complete column of 5::1 (from a Fordor, on the shelf). Could it be as simple as just using the lower frame bracket from the existing ’26 and using the pitman from the later one also?

OR

2- I’d rebuild the existing ’26 column but where do I find a lower gear case to rebuild the existing one? Around here, swap finds are always slim to none and more luck and chance than anything else.

OR

3- Does someone have a complete ’26 column assembly in good to better condition on their shelf that they will never need and might want to sell? I live in the Philadelphia area but that doesn’t need to be a constraint.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:49 am:

George,

Take a look here and see if you might have the wrong steering arm, tie rod or drag link:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/300409.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:06 am:

I am working on a 26 coupe that wants to do the same left over the center thing. The Front end on it is a mismash of parts. It has the 25 and earlier spindles 30 1/4 drag link, and now am not sure about the pitman arm. ( the cars 15 miles away so I can't just run out and look)If I read things correctly, besides the correct spindles it should have the shorter pitman arm and longer drag link?
The gear box, I cleaned up the slot, it had the short slot and the pin had plowed a ramp to get a full left turn. I may have cut the slot too long but when I tested it out of the car did not look to be going over center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 03:43 pm:

Thanks...I'll measure everything up and see where we start.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration