Found A PTO Last Weekend

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Found A PTO Last Weekend
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:43 am:

I was fortunate to find this PTO last weekend. I have several pictures of this type of machine but not this particular one. Notice the cast front wheel struts and the arms that are designed to adjust the the stands for the car rear axle. Anyone have any information on this one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 10:59 am:

THAT"S AWESOME!! Great find!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:03 am:

jay, you dont have one new in the box ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:07 am:

Great find, I have always wanted one of them. Someday I will run into one for myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:28 am:

Clayton No, But I have the original sales literature!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:50 am:

Lance,

I can already taste the ice cream!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:31 pm:

Jay, does your sales literature include a photo or illustration of that contraption in actual use? It would be interesting to see. Thanks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

Jeff, Here's a shot from one of the pages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

Thanks, Jay!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 02:56 pm:

Lol Clayton - I was thinking the same thing when I first saw this thread: "Jay probably has one still in the box."

Of course we think that sort of thing because he really does most of the time. Or, if not, he has the original brochure. Unreal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 12:01 am:

They made one like that called a "Henry's Helper" also. Don't know anything about it but I wouldn't mind getting my mitts on one myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:02 am:

? ? ?

This patent looks like a possibility - perhaps a slight change was made to the height adjusters.
The wheel support castings are very similar in design . ..

Emmet L. Van Dolsen
Laporte, Indiana
Power Transmission
Patent Number: 1225081
Filing date: March 16, 1916
Issue date: May 8. 1917
http://tinyurl.com/ltsts7k

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 11:50 am:

Thanks Jay and Art! My machine design seems better and cheaper to make. This is stated in the legal description as follows - "that many changes may be
made in the construction without departure
from the spirit of my invention and within
the scope of the appended claims".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 11:53 am:

Lance, That quote sounds like something God would say about Man. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 12:45 pm:

It's also a standard disclaimer included in many/most
patents to give the patent a little more leeway in design .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:47 pm:

Hi Lance
I suspect that using pins thru the upper part of the fancy casting
was deemed inconvenient in more than one way, so the ratchet pawl
with the remote release was added after the patent was applied for.
The position of the belt pulley and drive wheels would likely be
either adjustable or perhaps vehicle specific when ordered.
Were there any names or dates cast or stamped any where on the parts?
Out of 102 patents covering this class designation, this was the only
one with that fancy casting.
Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 04:15 pm:

Hi Art

I have not found any markings so far. I do know from the owners manual that Jay copied for me, that the company was the J. Comer Jones Power and Pump Co. They called it a "Porta Power". In the 1929 literature they stated - In speaking of the "Ford", we refer to the Model T. We have not yet measured the new style "Ford". My drive pulleys were set perfectly for a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:28 am:

Do these babies come up for sale often? I don't remember seeing any, but I haven't been looking very hard. Be a neat display item for farm shows.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson, Hector, Minnesota on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:40 am:

Jared - No. In my opinion. This is the first one I have seen that was for sale. I have heard of guys passing on things and then not seeing another one again. I didn't hesitate!

Here's the one at the Model T museum in Richmond.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration