Speedster Step Plate

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Speedster Step Plate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:36 pm:

For those who have no running boards on their Speedsters, what (if anything) do you all use for a step; especially for the passenger side? My frame/body is not lowered, and it's quite a step up for shorter folks to be able to climb in. No problem for me on the driver's side, but getting in that high, over the tailpipe, can be tough for the passenger. Thanks for any and all input!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:49 pm:

I'll post pics later when I'm on the laptop instead. I have a '14 speedster and use brass step plates that go on the running board. I just built some reinforced brackets for them to float by themselves out from the body. I think some of the silver/chrome Ford step plates would look great on your speedster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:50 pm:

A step from an old horse drawn buggy works well. Let me know if they are not available in your area. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 05:11 pm:

I kept the mounts and added some hard wood slats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

Dave, is that exhaust pipe double wrapped or shielded? I'd hate to be the passenger that accidently rests his arm on that pipe! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 06:40 pm:

Mark - not wrapped or shielded. I learned about that pipe when I was a kid many years ago. It only took one time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 06:53 pm:

Dave: Langs sells a "Faultless" step plate. It is an exact repro of the step plate used on the "Faultless" speedsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

I don't have any photos but I've seen various types of steps from horse-drawn buggies used on speedsters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

I would cut those exhaust stubs off at the hood and put a 90 on them then rework the exhaust to go below the body line but still outside. You could have a straight run to the back without the angles. That looks really scary to me with a passenger trying to grab something to hold on. I also have a speedster with a side exhaust and had a girl get a little burn by leaning on the pipe but it was her thighs with jeans on and not shorts--she backed up quick and no skin damage. Easy change that should only take an afternoon. Burns are bad and not like cuts--they scar big and hurt for a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

A one of the two small step plates used for getting into most roadsters rumble seats work great with a simple bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:31 pm:

Use round clutch and brake pedal pads if you can't find buggy steps.
The round steps from a rumble seat model A are made so shoes won't slip on them.
Get them for a deluxe coupe or roadster '30-31.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

I had really small foot-size buggy steps on mine previously. They were very nice and inconspicuous but were tough to find with your foot when exiting. That plus the flashy brass is why I changed them. Just lots easier to use. Look a Mercury speedster, the step plates on those are half again as big as the Ford step plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 07:58 pm:

I used Ford running board brackets cut in the middle and narrowed, and bolted closer together on the frame to suit the width of the standard repro accessory step plates.

Also of note and IMO a great addition for speedsters are the foot pegs (both photos) we added for driver and passenger they makes long drives far more comfortable and keep footsie to a minimum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

You could always lower that car down alittle,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 05:54 pm:

Chris, I see you've locked down the shackle on one end of your spring. How has that worked for you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 08:11 pm:

Gary, much less side sway in corners. I locked the left rear shackle as well apparently these shackle locks are a common modification in the UK for Austin Seven Specials (speedsters)...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 12:19 am:

Here are a couple ads showing the "Faultless" step plates that Langs has in there catalog. Pics are kinda small but show how they will look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 12:21 am:

step platestep plat 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:27 am:

Chris, Thanks. I may give that a try.
Gary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

I used the short TT running boards on my speedster. Still working on it when I can find the time. Hope to finish by 4th of July.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:36 pm:

http://www.modeltford.com/item/T-SPST.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 02:57 am:

Chris, I have shackle locks on my speedster like yours. Instead of clamping around the axle, the arm on the lock is bolted to the leaf spring bolt on the leaf with the eye.

As a side thought, son Anthony believes that the connecting rods from a 289 Ford V8 are a bolt on fit to the rear axle tubes. If this is the case, it would save having to make any brackets to mount things to the back axle. In your application all that would be needed is to weld on a bolt after cutting the rod off.

This may help some one.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:24 am:

Allan - Can you please post a photo of your shackle lock installation? Thanks!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration