Look what followed me home...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Look what followed me home...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hycner on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:28 pm:

It was time for another Ford and decided to get one of the modern cars this time. It's a '31 Deluxe. Amazing how much different they are from a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

WOW, very nice. Would like to see more detail shots. What features made it a "Deluxe"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hycner on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hycner on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:34 pm:

The Deluxe had the cowl lights, better interior and a dome light. A 1931 change to make the Model A a bit more classy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hycner on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:23 am:

Jim, VERY Nice car. Now the following is not meant to be criticism, just info for others that might not know.
Early '31 Deluxe Tudors (late '30 production time-frame)get the "Deluxe" radiator shell, with the colored panels top and bottom--factory specs are upper panel, body color, lower panel black--but some shells got painted same color top and bottom (black or body color!--If you see a photo of the paint process, this becomes very understandable). Front floor is carpet, not rubber, as is rear floor. Also; dome light, cowl lights, mohair interior, scrolled door & window cranks with butler finish (satin chrome or nickel). Pinstripe on gas tank face to match body pinstripe (on the raised areas, about 3/8" in from the edge). Window moldings I believe were Mahogany wood-grained (at least they were on the Deluxe Fordors and Coupes)
All cars: Gas tank face painted to match lower body color--also true of inside only of the top windshield trim metal--outside of this piece is upper body color--color change is at the front bottom edge or the piece) Instrument panel on mid-30 to 31 is ribbed, plated Butler finish (satin chrome or nickel) with recesses top and bottom center painted black. gearshift lever Butler finish, emergency brake handle butler finish, except for 'hand' are is polished finish.
I may have missed something, as this is all from memory, and I haven't restored an A for about 10 years!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 03:24 am:

Deluxe means Factory waterpump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 06:20 am:

Hahaha George! Almost spit out my drink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 06:40 am:

Very Nice!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:02 am:

Jim,

Have fun with it! And just like Model Ts there are some great Model A clubs/forums etc.

And like Model Ts there are some popular items some folks like to change out. Recommend you ask what type of water pump is on the car -- original style with the packing or the replacement lower maintenance style leak-less water pumps without the packing. Either works well -- but the leak-less style won't mess up your engine compartment with drips thrown about. How to tell which you have? Drive the car a while and if it starts dripping water at the water pump shaft in under 200 miles you probably have the original style. Do NOT tighten the nut on the leak-less style. Only tighten the original style and only enough to stop the drips.

There is an excellent book "The Ford Model "A" as Henry Built It" by George DeAngelis, Edward Francis, and Leslie Henry that provides a wealth of information on all four years of the Model A as well as on the various body styles. See: https://mafca.com/cart/index.php?productID=205 and also available from Amazon, probably Snyder's etc.

Have fun with your "New" Ford. You will enjoy noticing the difference between it and the T.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 03:47 pm:

THAT is a beautiful car and is my favorite color combination too!........ :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:35 pm:

Nice find Jim! Love the colors. Curious as to what it went for, without being too nosey, as I have a '30 Tudor, but suspect my paint isn't near as nice as yours.
As for the water pump, if I'm not mistaken, the leakless type also has "dummy" grease fittings on it, just made to look like the original but closeup you can clearly tell. At least that's how the one is that I put on my A, as I got tired of it pigging up my engine compartment, and since I had the radiator off to replace with a new one, decided this was the time to update the water pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 11:58 pm:

Our Model T club now has forty-some members, and at last count, there are about ten of us that own at least one Model A as well as one or more Model T's. There was actually some talk about calling our club the "T & A Club", however, it was quickly decided that it might be that some of the wives might object!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 06:01 am:

The 31 Deluxe Tudor also had the same seats as the Victoria and the Deluxe Phaeton. The driver seat is about 1 1/2" wider than the passenger seat and is adjustable. A very nice car but wonder why with a restoration this nice, why did they not replace the shifter with a proper plated one and find a correct coil and mount.

Still, a very nice car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 02:09 pm:

Jim,
That was also my question--it's not that hard to change though.
I thought about the seats, but didn't want to trust my memory, thank you for noting that detail too.
Also, note the chromed window trim, and the missing windlace on the front edge of the doors. Someone did some very nice work, but then made their own finish standards!
Many times the differences are because of a lack of knowledge of what was originally done--for instance (my pet peeve) reproduction Model A instrument panels, especially the '28- early 30 ones, are done in bright chrome when they were satin nickel or Butler Finish from the factory. The metal trim above the windshield is usually done wrong too, often in upper body color (my own Sport Coupe, painted some 43 years ago is wrong-because I didn't know any better--now that I do, someday I will fix it! I should have taken better notes when I was doing the car, but hey, I was only in 8th grade at the time!
Before Restoraion 1961

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hycner on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 07:16 pm:

I know there are quite a few little things that aren't correct but don't really care. The plan is to drive it a lot. Hope to put on about 2,000 miles this year. The car was done in the late 80's and the tires still had the molding nubs on them. I'll never understand just looking at a car and not driving it. I spent a few weeks going over everything and working out the bugs and rattles from sitting so long. Even though it's not "correct" it sure is a pretty thing. A blast to drive but still prefer a T, except in a panic stop or having to pull out on a real road in heavy traffic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 07:28 pm:

Great car. Who cares about the little incorrect things! You'll certainly have a lot of fun with this car. Congrats on the purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:15 pm:

^ I agree 110%...... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 01:51 am:

Jim,
As I said, GREAT car! Have lots of fun with it! I was just posting info for those that MIGHT want some!
I had a show winning car once (long story); a '30 Deluxe Roadster. It was nerve wracking taking it anywhere, as I didn't want to damage it at all. Ma Green has been driven lots of places, although she's a two-owner car and is fairly correct, but far from perfect(rumble seat backrest is the original upholstery)
David D.Ma green in 1975 BTW, not me in the picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 03:45 pm:

Having T's and an A, it's funny how different they drive. You can spend Saturday in the T, then take the A out on Sunday and it feels like you are driving a Cadillac. It is so much heavier and feels more solid. It's certainly a different experience. But I agree, I prefer the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

That is one gorgeous color combination. The medium-gray wheels are the perfect compliment to the deep red and black. Enjoy it in good health!

I'd be very interested in a more detailed comparison between the way the Model T and Model A drive (hint-hint).

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

Well Bob........I can say this much about a T versus an A: It's much easier taking a T to the BP station for coffee because I can hold my coffee in one hand and have no problem driving with one hand...... :-)
I have to agree with one of the more prolific posters here about Model A's who calls them "front heavy crash boxes"....... LOL .......which they are if you don't know how to double clutch.
If you shift at low speeds you can get away without double clutching once you get the feel for it.
The front seats in the Tudor Model A's are not as comfortable as the T seats. I can't imagine what they were thinking because when you take a turn in an A you'd better be holding onto something or you'll slide right off the seat....... :-(
With the Tudor A they regressed to the old evenly hinged passenger front seat which lifts straight forward rather than the brilliant offset hinges of the late T's to afford easier access to the back seat.
Removing the radiator on an A is a nightmare compared to a T.
The battery is right under the driver's feet and is PIA to get at!
At least you don't need a flashlight to see if the headlights are on with an A.
All of the above sounds pretty bad (despite the fact it's all true) but in spite of those faults I love driving my '29 A.
The ride isn't bad and you can do 50 MPH all day long without blowing the engine although, to me, 45 feels more "right" than 50. I can do 40+ in my '19 Touring but 35 feels right.
Some people like wire wheels on T's.
I don't but I love the wire wheels on the A.
The A is roomier for sure and the addition of shock absorbers, minimal as they are, improves handling.
4 wheel brakes go without saying but if you have a bad right knee an A might not be you as the brakes require quite a bit of force but the emergency brake is terrific.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:44 pm:

My A experience was that around 48mph, the engine vibrates, and it goes away around 51mph. A lot of inexperienced folks feel the vibration coming on at 46, and slow down--a real pain if you're in a group on a long drive!
The T's steering is a lot quicker! :-)
And, yes, the Tudor/Deluxe Touring, Vicky & A400 front driver's seat is easy to roll off of!
The clutch is hard on a bad knee too. . . .
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:56 am:

About the steering: The OEM steering arm off the box is long and provides little mechanical advantage to the steering.
Replacement shortened steering arms make steering decidedly easier without sacrificing turning radius.
It's extremely easy to do and is worth every cent....... :-)

All these things make owning a Model A seem more of a pariah than fun........but that's not true.......they are a blast too in their own way.
And, like driving a Model T, everywhere you go people love seeing them....... :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration