What do you guys think of this TT for sale?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What do you guys think of this TT for sale?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 10:11 pm:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/4444118049.html

A friend wanted me to offer an opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 10:13 pm:

Nice straight body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

It looks like a pretty nice truck. It has an auxiliary transmission, but does not appear to have auxiliary brakes. If the "rebuilt original motor and transmission" are reasonably fresh it's probably not too far off on price. If you're giving an opinion to a friend who's really interested in buying it, I'd suggest to him or her that if it does not have auxiliary brakes, the budget should include adding them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:09 pm:

The pics were taken at a body shop, and the body work looks to be professional quality. That work is worth quite a bit. If it runs and drives well, I'd say the price is about right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:11 pm:

p.s. -- If it overheats while driving, or if it needs new tires, the buyer can figure on spending about $1,000 for each of those problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 12:32 am:

What Mike said. The bed, even without the wood on it, would cost you $500 or more. But the ghastly engine color should be worth a discount. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:44 am:

If you started with a TT that was rusted out and had to start from scratch, I'll guaranty you would have more than the asking price in it when finished. Everyone knows what it costs to have a engine and trans rebuilt if you can't do it yourself. Good clean cabs, doors, bed frames, and windshield frames are difficult to come by, and an aux trans just adds more value. If I wanted a TT and didn't want the hassle and expense of doing a total restoration, I'd be on my way to Hannibal, right now. It is wasted time to nit-pick at the color of the engine and steering wheel spider. Those things take only minutes to correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 03:22 am:

Well, ISHO (I steve'sHO)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 06:41 am:

$6500 seems like a darn good price, especially for a Deluxe TT. Heck, all that's left is the fun and easy stuff. I wish deals like this were available semi-close to me when I had some $$$.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 08:09 am:

Looks like it will need a radiator and new wiring. Rebuilt engines can mean a lot of different things from adding rings, laping valves and pulling shims on the rods all the way to a true rebuild job with bore, babbit, valves and so on. Price does seem reasonable and who knows, maybe negotiable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:20 am:

Nice looking truck for sure but it doesn't look like a '26 to me aside from the coil box. Looks more like a '24 or '25 unless the trucks were different somehow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:47 am:

Dave -- The '26-7 TT's came with fenders and hoods like the '24-5 ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:50 am:

I would want to know who and what was done to the engine. If it has new Babbitt etc, do they or can they show receipts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 11:27 am:

Some '26 trucks I have seen had the old style coil box in the cab and I think this one was changed if you look closely at the firewall you will see the fitments for an in the cab coil box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 11:33 am:

I'm pretty sure (not positive) that the TT's never were equipped with the engine mounted '26/'27 coil box. All, including '26 and '27 models, used the dash mounted coil box coil box I think, as well as the '24/'25 fenders and hoods as Mike says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

And we just found out that George Clipner is Steve's ho ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 12:34 pm:

If the engine was just re-built I am assuming the radiator would have been rodded and repaired so why the water pump?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:05 pm:

Henry -- I think you're correct about the coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:26 pm:

What's type is the auxiliary transmission?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:42 pm:

Constantine,
I doubt if we can determine the type of auxiliary transmission with the information available. All we have to work with is the photo that shows the shifter.

Having said that, the shifter lever and knob look to me like a Muncie, but the base where it goes into the unit does not. Any other guesses?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 04:25 pm:

Henry you are right. The 26-27 TT's never had the coil box mounted on the engine unless it was sold as a Chassis only. These had the different firewall that resembled the improved cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 04:37 pm:

I just noticed that this truck has a year model 27 steering column. The vaporizer carb was never used on the factory steel cab TT's. I'm not sure if it was optional on the chassis version though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 04:52 pm:

Fred, what's the difference on 1927 steering columns?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 06:11 pm:

I'll take a picture Rodger and post it tomorrow. I have one of each out of the trucks so you can see the difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:03 pm:

The 26-27 steering column has a square flange where it mounts on the firewall.
This truck is equipped with a cast iron Warford transmission with the frame brace and the shortening castings for the driveshaft and the truck radius rods.
I drove the truck now it has only one half of the steering wheel rim with it. It has no rear view mirror and that made it difficult to manage, along with only one half of the steering wheel rim!
It started right up and ran. I had a hard time with the Warford, I just couldn't get the hang of it. I have one in my roadster but I don't hardly ever shift it. The motor ran hot. He said the radiator had been rodded out. I wonder if the waterpump was the cause of the overheating?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:11 pm:

Rodding out 90-year-old radiators usually doesn't enable them to cool the engine. After thousands of heating and cooling cycles, the fins break away from the tubes and a sufficient amount of heat can't transfer from the tubes to the air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

Here Rodger, The one with the round flange is the 26 and the other is the 27. Notice the difference in the throttle rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:35 pm:

I have never ran across an "Improved" ('26-'27) model with a round flange - the one you are showing as a '27 is indeed that but the difference in the throttle lever on the square flange column you are showing was it had been installed with a Vaporizer carburetor - the round flange column is the standard issue throttle rod location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 01:36 pm:

Steve, the round flange is found in most 1926 TT's at least until the model year change in August.
The square flange you see is from one of the last 1927(Nov) Enclosed Cabs that came with a standard NH with a linkage that ran over the engine. I should have explained this better. If you look hard down the throttle rod (on the square flange) you will see the hole ( with cotter pin) that was formally used for the NH through the block linkage. Early 1927 models ( those built after Aug 1926 will have the Throttle rod lever lower on the rod where the small hole still exists.
If you look in your parts book for 3531 and 3531b. You can see the change in late 1926 (1927 model) that after this only the vaporizer style was available even though the NH was still used. I don't see that the old part was continued past 1926.
The TT's and the cars had some odd differences and this seem to be one of them. Remember that after production ceased for the cars at the Rouge, Highland Park still managed to produce trucks for another 7 months with what was left in stock. This means there must have been a few special parts used for only the TT's in the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 02:37 pm:

New to me Fred - never have seen any NH linkage that went over the top of the engine but that of a Vaporizer ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 02:54 pm:

I believe part number 3531B was a bolt-on piece - see photo - although the parts book doesn't show it. I have my Gramp's '24 C-Cab Express which, according to my Father, Gramp's had a Vaporizer installed soon after they became available at Wm. O. M'Kay Ford in Seattle, where he bought the truck new. He was known to be a bit thrifty - old country Italian immigrant.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:11 pm:

Fred - I'm interested in what you said about TT production continuing for 7 months at the Highland Park Plant after car production ended.

Could you please advise where you found that out or if you have any documentation for it.

I don't doubt that you are correct, but just curious about it.

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 01:58 pm:

I'll have to remember Where this information is found. I should have wrote it down as I though this was common knowledge, anyway I have it in my files. Basically when Ford moved into the Rouge with the car production in 1925 the trucks stayed in Highland park. Trucks were still be built at HP while the Rouge was being retooled for the Model A and the AA. A good book "Model T Ford" shows car production ending in May 1927. Several Authors have touched on this I believe the are Ford Bryant, Charles Sorensen, Mike Muller, James Wagner, Bruce McCalley, Lorin Sorensen, Mark Theobald to name a few. I have and have seen many TTs built all the way up until December 27 when the Model A's came out.
I need to write down this information as I should have. I'll do that and send it to you.
I have been researching the TT's for years now, traveling up to 400 miles to see special ones. Collecting every book and Newspaper clippings I can find as well as working with Ford Benson Research in Michigan.

I'm trying to get a flow to show a history of the TT's from 1917 to 27 and this information is very obscure and difficult to find. I still have some holes but I think I know where to find out what need now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 02:53 pm:

Hi Fred - Thanks for the information. I have a TT, a '25 C Cab with the Express Bed. The engine is original, I think, and dates to August 5, 1924. When I got it, it had no accessories on it, it was just plain stock.

Anyway, I'm very interested in TT information. Did you mention that you're working on a book about TT's? If, so, I want one!!! It seems all the other Model T books, including Bruce's "Model T Ford", don't really give a lot of information on TT's, and perhaps the time has come for more on that topic specifically.

I'll look forward to anything you can find on this. BTW, If I can be of any help to you in filling in the remaining "holes" you have, please let me know.

Thanks, Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration