TW timers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: TW timers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ian Dean on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 12:36 pm:

Does anyone have experience of using a timer made by TW Components of Indianapolis? A company in England (T Service) is recommending and selling them. They look OK but any thoughts would be welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:49 pm:

I have a couple thousand miles on one with zero trouble haven't been able to say that about the common repro roller timers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 01:58 pm:

I put one in my car three weeks ago. So far I like it. The only thing is that it has to stay clean so you need to have a good cam seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 02:58 pm:

Here are a few recent threads where the TW brush timer is mentioned:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/439761.html?1398166792
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/437853.html?1397518847
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/420337.html?1391739550
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/437711.html?1397344221

Conclusion is it's a well thought out design that works well.
With a modern cam seal you don't have to worry about the timer for a long time. http://www.modeltford.com/item/3177OS.aspx

Ford tried out a similar design for a short period in 1919, but they didn't get it to work satisfactory - likely because they used a too hard material for the brush. The carbon brush in the TW timer works better than the old Ford version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:38 pm:

Ian, I was probably one of the earlier purchasers of the TW timer, as I bought one as soon as I heard of it here on the forum. I ran it a short while on my '15 before I yanked the engine for rebuilding, it worked great. Now it's on my '12 and still works fine. The brush is a bit tricky to install, but Tony as now developed a very simple wire thing to remedy that. Discovered on my '12 that I don't have to push the spark advance down quite as far for desired performance. Never have to lube them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 10:19 pm:

I've got one on order - can't wait until it gets here to try it. As much as the Anderson is reliable, the cylinder to cylinder timing changes as it wears. That becomes problematic for those of us who run the coils on DC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 04:51 am:

Absolutely fantastic design -well thought out ,great customer support and works really well -Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 06:47 am:

I have had one on my 26 since buying it at Hershey this past fall and like it. At this point, 800 miles, everything still looks as new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:44 am:

Dave, did yours come with that little wire to enable mounting the cover over the brush easier?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:05 am:

I have installed many TW timers with excellent results. Great reliability and none of the problems seen with the other current favorite types. If you have an early version without the feature making it a bit easier to install, send it back to Tony and he will make the simple modification.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 11:32 am:

I plan on picking one up at The Model T Homecoming in Indiana. I like to stay as correct as possible but, my car is a '19 so a brush timer is correct....right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Brewer - NorCal on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 05:11 pm:

Can someone post a picture of the modification? I would like to do it myself if possible, rather than sending it back.
Thanks, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Wiltshire on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 06:46 pm:

I will put a drawing showing how to modify your existing carriers up on my website www.twcomponents.com over the weekend.
It will be a downloadable pdf.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration