Speedometer drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Speedometer drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

can anyone post a picture or pictures of the early 1911 drive unit? the unit on my car is an iron unit mounted on the one piece spindle arm. most references i have seen indicate brass units. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

More than likely it's made from pot metal, even finding a good one of those is hard let alone a brass one, give it a good clean and lube job and paint it a brassy color until and 'if' you ever find an original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

i didn't think a magnet would stick to potmetal,
and it sure sticks to this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 07:47 pm:

Your right Stuart, but I had no trouble getting a magnet to stick to a couple of mine with the steel internals intacked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 08:40 pm:

1911 Stewart speedometer swivel unit should be brass plated cast iron I think. A magnet should stick to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 09:30 pm:

The 1911 Stewart drive is pot metal. The input gear is held on with a round knurled nut. The 1912 Stewart drive is made of cast iron, it's the only year for cast iron, the internal gear for this model is also different. The input gear is held on with a cotter pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 09:32 pm:

stuart,
There is a very good article on the Steward speedometer in Model T Times July-August 2011. It was written by Russ Furstnow.
There were 4 differnt swivels in 1911.They were all pot metal.
I have the late one on my car,(no4).The gear on the front wheel is iron plated with semi gloss brass plate.
The swivel wheel is solid brass,(made by John Regan.
The swivel is brass plated.(high gloss)
The cable is brass with a knurled end on both ends
Hope this helps
Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 01:27 am:

Stewart-

Here is Pete's speedo gear set up. Since his 1911 is later than yours it uses the 4th and last type of swivel, along with the wider cast road gear.

Your car probably uses the thin stamped road gear.

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:14 am:

thanks so much for all the info. here is a couple pics of my exist unit. looks like the search is on for the right parts.spedo drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 01:26 pm:

the other viewspedo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

I thought the early speedometer casings had knurled nuts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 03:15 am:

Stuart, I have the cast iron swivel put aside for my late 1912 van. They are much more robust than the pot metal rubbish which came either side of them in production.

If you find what you are looking for, I have a friend in Australia who would love to get hold of your iron one for his early 1913 car. I found him good cast iron housings, but the gears are badly worn.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration