Weight of a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Weight of a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Hoban on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 04:03 am:

How much should my 22 Touring weigh?

I'm contemplating buying a four poster hoist and the minimum seems to be 3.t tonne.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 04:07 am:

About 1200 lbs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 04:07 am:

I recall it being around 1200 lbs (~544 Kg)
http://www.modelt.ca/faq-fs.html seems to confirm this as well as wikipedia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Hoban on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 04:22 am:

Thank you all, I suppose a 3.7 tonne hoist will do if the T is about 0.6 tonne.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 06:25 am:

I believe it to be more like 1620lbs dry, no gas oil or spare tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, Mostly in Dearborn on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 07:09 am:

The weights for each year and body style are online at this site in the encyclopedia. Look under the 1922 model.

I printed out a page and took it to my secretary of state when I titled my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:48 am:

Is it a starter/generator car? If so, it will be about 1620 like David Mazza said. I weighed my 1919 Runabout with starter, generator, battery, iron hogshead, demountables with rear spare and very little fuel. It was 1600 lbs. I think the legendary 1200 lb figure would only apply to early cars and possibly with no gas, oil or coolant. Truck scales are everywhere and many are free to use. Ask any trucker where to find one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:42 am:

No matter what, the lift you're considering will be more than adequate

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 11:21 am:

I think the 1200 pounds was the weight of the two cross country racers back in 1909. They had no body, no battery, no starter, no fenders., nothing and it was in a press release so can be taken with a grain of salt. Bruce listed the weight of each model and year in the encyclopedia, look up your year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 11:24 am:

I just looked it up, touring without starter is 1485 and with starter and demountables it is 1620 pounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 02:17 pm:

Brendan,
Don't know the difference between model years, but my '26 Touring has "880 Kg" stamped on the ID plate.
That would be 1938 lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 07:46 pm:

A twenty touring is closer to 1450. I at the first Speedster Reunion in Lincoln in 05' weighed about 35 cars. NO one guessed closer than 150 pounds to what there car was, EVERYONE thought it was less that it was. Only one speedster was below 1300.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

Thanks to the State of NJ, our '24 touring has been weighed on two different scales and weighs 1780 lbs. It is totally stock with starter and demountables. The only extras were the tools and spare parts under the back seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

Brendan,
Once you get used to having a lift, you won't want to ever crawl around on the floor again, so, make sure it's strong enough to lift everything you have or plan on ever having. I've got a 12K 4 post and love it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

My 1926 tourer weighs 820kg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:11 pm:

There was a thread on last years forum that listed the shipping weights of the cars. The heaviest are the enclosed cars which are in the vicinity of 2,000 pounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 11:37 pm:

The encyclopedia lists the 1924 touring at 1650.
The 1926 touring is listed at 1738
These are dry weights, no gas no oil and no junk under the seats!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 08:31 am:

Yes, I understand why our car weighs more than the stated factory shipping weight. I gave the scale weight of our car to show what might be expected for a real-world typical weight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 08:38 am:

Dam, my weight reference must have helium in the tyres!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 08:41 am:

With a couple people in the car, Ruckstell, Rocky Mountain brakes, moto meter, gas oil water cans on the running board, spare carburetor under the seat, two spare tires, set of spark plugs, foot operated tire pump, extra head gasket, tub of GoJo and a cooler full of frosty beverages a typical T touring weighs 2500 pounds or more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 03:03 pm:

John Carter has the correct ballpark weight for the year and body style of his car, complete with all lubricants topped off, full gas tank, and the correct air pressure in the tires......
.Anything else (stuff) you put in the car is a variable, sky's the limit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 08:08 pm:

My 27 Touring weighed 1960 on the scales with appropriate items under the seats and fluids. Bruce's book said something like 1760.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:59 am:

Just got a rough weight on my 24 truck. It is on a car chassis. I weighed my truck and trailer last weekend, and this weekend I ran it over the scales with the T in the trailer. Difference is right around 1800 lbs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Hoban on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 05:24 am:

I've just purchased a 3.7 tonne hoist, it arrives late May.

Now I need to not have multifocal glasses!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration