A new one on me, re timers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: A new one on me, re timers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 12:54 pm:

My car was running rough. I did all the easy stuff to check it out, eg checked coils, visually inspected timer and wires, cleaned carb, tested plugs, tested continuity, etc. I eventually found a short in the #4 commutator wire and replaced the wiring. No dice, problem still persisted. I finally took the timer off to inspect it. (No easy task for a 1910 two piece timer.) There I spotted the problem. There was a burn hole in the plastic part of the race near the #4 terminal. Evidently the short in the wire somehow make a track to ground. Can't really explain how or why that happened, but when I replaced the timer body, it ran like a charm. Go figure!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration