Differential with hassler springs removal - need some ideas!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Differential with hassler springs removal - need some ideas!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Bumann on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 01:39 pm:

Hello there! Last fall my father gave me his 22 coupe which he had owned for 50 years. I was able to get it running and safely driveable in large part by searching for and taking advice from the posts in this forum.
THANK YOU!!!

But now I am stumped! I need to tear into the differential to replace the thrust washers and see what else is going on in there. (Hopefully not much else!) It has twin hassler springs on all four corners and I have been trying to find an elegant way to disconnect the spring assembly from the axle housing without having the whole works blowing up in my face.

I created a 'clamp' with two 8" lag bolts and a piece of 1x4 but now I really don't see how that will help me. (Maybe it will!) The coupe is up on jack stands with a beam and the axle housing is now supported by a pair of floor jacks. It looks as if I lowered the axle housing any further without those 'clamps' the hasslers may slip and fly out of their brackets and I really would like to keep my teeth for a few more years.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Daryl
Barnum Minnesota
(The snow finally melted!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 01:48 pm:

I wouldn't trust wood in that application, maybe you can get some ideas from this recent thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/440781.html?1398691007

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 02:50 pm:

You need to compress each spring individually and remove both the springs & the spring seat at same time - that is how I have installed/removed Twins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Bumann on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

Aha! The light bulb slowly turns on, looks like another trip to the nut and bolt aisle is in my future.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration