A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Mulrooney, Webster, NY on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:03 pm:

Hi All,
So, I have been getting a lot of "almost" free starts, with a few freebies thrown in for good measure over the past couple of months. To the point where I became a bit....ummmmm.. too sure of myself. The past 2 days however, she absolutely refuses to start. Choke and prime 3 cranks (as usual), turn key to battery (waiting for the freebie) as usual, no start so head to the front for what I hope will be a 1 (or 10) crank start. The motor fires a couple of times then goes quiet....then (3 out of 10 times) after a couple of seconds, she will try to fire again all on her own. I am now waiting 3-5 seconds between cranks to prevent a broken arm. Has anyone else experienced this? She is(as best anyone can tell) a stock (or close to it)1916 Touring. The coils fire strong when switched to battery. The carb (Holly NH) has been rebuilt, the entire wiring harness to include plug wires) has been replaced and I have drained the potato of sediment. I plan to pull the carb and timer to make sure all is still well. Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same and if so, what advice you might give.

As usual, my sincere thanks.

Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

They're all different, but three pulls with the choke closed on either of mine would result in a very flooded engine. Any chance you might need less priming with the warmer Spring weather?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:14 pm:

I have not been getting free starts like I was before I adjusted my timing but when I was , yes every so often I would get the slow burn start. There were times I would reach down, grab the crank and the car just would start on it's own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

I close the throttle and retard the spark lever. Pull the choke and then pull the crank up four times. Advance the throttle half way and turn the key on. This happens next:

[url=http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/1019909][img]http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/1019909/thumbnail/1019909.jpg[/img][/url]

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 11:33 pm:

3 pulls with choke on mine floods it. 1-2 pulls with choke is about perfect for my T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:49 am:

Makes me wonder if they're not messing with the volatility of the gas, virtually ALL of my vehicles aren't getting the mileage they used to, from the T's right on "up" to my "modern" 1997 pickup!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:26 am:

Ah come on Tim. Surely you caught on by now. :-)

The alcohol in the gas reduces the power requiring more gas to maintain the same speed. The gov'ment looks good because they're saving the planet while collecting more excise tax. The gas companies get rich because they sell more gas. The farmer gets rich because he sells more corn. The cereal companies get rich because there's less corn on the market and they can raise their prices while using cheaper imported corn. The shipping companies get rich moving more of everything around. The seed companies get rich making more patented seeds. And you get stuck with the tab while feeling good about saving the economy. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:09 pm:

I am like Doug - Two pulls with the choke closed and I get a free start
In fact today I was messing with the coil box and mistakenly turned the ignition switch to battery and the T started.
Boy was I surprised!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration