Muffler bolt?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Muffler bolt?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, May 02, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

I lost one of the three muffler bolts on my 1911 muffler. Is the bolt the same size as the single bolt that was used on the later muffler that the dealers have available? Mac's says 14" long.

: ^ )
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

Anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

At least through early '16, the T-4030 was not a bolt that was used but a 5/16" rod, 13-3/8" long, threaded at each end with a pair of 5/16 x 24 nuts. I don't know exactly when it became a bolt using only one nut but a good bet is sometime in 1917, when an "A" was added to the part number and there was then a T-4030 and a T-4030A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 05:36 pm:

Sept 1912 Parts and Price List book states:

#4030 Muffler Rod Only 5/16" x 13 3/8"

#4031 Muffler Rod Nut 5/16" x 24 thr.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

Thanks, guys.

After your posts, I found this in the encyclopedia:

T-1206-A
06-29-11
Rod Removed threads from one end and added 1/2 hex head.

Since my car is late 1911, I fabricated one with one nut welded on one end to replicate the hex head.

Done. Thanks.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

The muffler bolts are list next to the muffler bearing in my catalogue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:37 am:

Every early muffler I've had has the 13 3/8 bolt, three of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 05:29 pm:

It wouldn't be the first time that Ford disseminated inaccurate information! In the same muffler section of the Encyclopedia that Keith cites, notice the "black asbestos" note. How many surviving original cars, and factory photos of chassis, show mufflers with black asbestos? Yet Ford was pretty clear about it. Likely there was an unwritten "never used it" attached to the Release notification to remove the "black asbestos".

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration