Magneto contact assembly cacoon

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Magneto contact assembly cacoon
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 12:00 am:

Today when i pulled out my magneto before pulling the hogs head i couldn't believe how much lining material was wrapped around the contact assembly. Could this possibly make a difference in the performance of the mag? Or do the magnets have more power over the cotton?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 12:15 am:

John-
"Lint" on the magneto post is a problem especially with new cotton bands. Sometimes the mag will start to cut out and stall if there gets too much lint build up. Just take the contact out, clean off the fuzz and put it back on.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 12:15 am:

If you really think about it, unless the lint has pushed the spring up and gotten between the point and the contact pad or bent the tip away from the pad on the mag ring, there will still be contact between the mag ring and the point on the contact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 12:16 am:

Keith and I were posting at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P Noonan on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 12:25 am:

You guys are good!...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:12 am:

The issue isn't the 'lint', but what the lint will catch and hold in place, and that is the over time amount of metal shavings or fine metal wear particles the engine produces.

That metallic debris can build up in the lint and reach over to ground, on the underside of the hogs head, thereby shorting out the magneto........

Without an a filter, the T splash oiling will just send those metal particles around to where they land and up top on the magneto post is the common place they land and gather :-)

Use of a trans cover oil screen with a tiny magnet there will help catch the particles and minimize troubles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:14 am:

Ah the missing part of the equation the metal particles. So often people just say check for lint build up but don't really say any more. Cotton can act as an insulator so I didn't think about the metal part. Learning something new every day is a good thing! Thanks
The dreaded black goo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 01:48 pm:

I'd be more worried over the funnel getting plugged up than the magneto having any problem. Have you checked your drums for cracks? Just thinkin' out loud, that's all.

Garnet

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration