TT question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: TT question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 07:33 am:

Same 3083 wood blocks as the car? I don't see anything listed on the truck pages in the Ford parts book, so I'm guessing they're the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 08:16 am:

I have been told and it makes sense to me that the TT's didn't use wood blocks because the frame was heavier. I haven't ever seen evidence of wood blocks in any of the original TT's we have owned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 12:11 pm:

My TT didn't have them in place, but it had obviously been worked over by someone who just wanted to make it run and didn't care about details, so I didn't think much about their absence. The chassis has the bolt holes for the blocks and I took that as an indication there should be blocks, so I made a pair and installed them.

There is a drawing with dimensions of the 3083 blocks, in the "The Engine" book published by the MTFCA (page 46). It shows the 3083 as being 1 1/2" thick, 2 1/2" high and 1 3/4" long overall. It's hard to measure accurately (hard to get to), but the ones I made appear to have the same overall thickness and length, but are taller to accommodate the bigger chassis rail. I can't get a measurement, but I think the bolt hole is placed a little differently also due to the thicker chassis material used on a TT.

I hope this helps you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 12:24 pm:

After reading my own post I think I'm making it too complicated. I'd get a regular T 3083 block and hold it in place in the TT chassis. If holding it flush against the rail and all the way up (leaving some space below the block) and the bolt hole lines up, I'd say you're good to go! Furthermore, assuming it does fit, I'd bet that's what Henry (the other one) did since I've never seen a block from any of the vendors that's for a TT, just the regular 3083 block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

I'm thinking I once read somewhere that they originally put them in, but the dealers were later told in the service bulletins to remove them. I'm just going from memory here, which ain't what it used to be, so don't take this as the Gospel. Maybe someone else can chime in. I don't have the service bulletins, but I probably should.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 05:34 pm:

The later truck frames (3 27 frames I have) don't have the frame drilled for the wood blocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

For TT

For T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

Now that was silly, radiator bolts???... meant to post picture of the crankcase arm bolts! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration