Follow up on rear end dragging

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Follow up on rear end dragging
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 03:17 pm:

I always like to follow up on threads as issues get resolved. Especially, for newbies like me, I think this is helpful.

A couple weeks back (and a month or so before that), I started a thread(s) as I was having issues with dragging in my rear end (16 touring), and was looking for suggestions. The collective wisdom of the group was that I needed to open up the rear end. Being a newbie - that was a little scarey to me. However, Dan Hatch was kind enough to help (BTW, he has all the t-gadgets!).

As they say ...."A picture is worth a thousand words!" No idea where this slug of steel came from, but it was welded to the gear. The cotter pin that holds the retaining nut for the pion gear was missing, but this looks too big to be a smushed up cotter pin. There were no missing teeth on any gears.

In any case ( sorry for the pun), I think the problem is solved. Waiting on parts...

Michael

gearcaase

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 03:28 pm:

Ooh, that's ugly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 01:46 pm:

Michael
Things like that happen when you do burnouts, make sure you have at least 500 miles on it after your rebuild, before you start spinning the rear wheels... Wink :-). Glad you found the issue.
If you need to clean the axle housing up my suggestion is a local machine shop they can dip them like they do motor blocks. The best $12 - $15 you can spend and you don't have to worry about the sludgy mess, it's left at there shop not in yours. Plus it gets all the loose debris out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 02:01 pm:

Steve I wish I had a shop that could/would have done that for me when I did my rear-end. Cleaning out the pumpkin, tubes, and parts is hands down no contest the nastiest, filthiest job I have EVER done on any car. I bought a big rubbermaid container from Walmart and sacrificed a wire toilet brush - I ruined a shirt, pants, the container, the toilet brush, a whole roll of paper towels. It was crazy. After that episode my wife insisted I just leave a bottle of Dawn dish detergent in the shower for use after I've been in the garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 03:22 pm:

You need to pull sleeves and then burn it out.Sand blast and you're good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 03:23 pm:

My rear end has been dragging for 20 years but I don't see anything in this thread that will fix it......

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration