Who else is driving with you in your Model T?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Who else is driving with you in your Model T?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

Ever wonder if the previous owner from the past rides along with you ? I think that a bit. I have 6 engine blocks on the floor and front ends and a zillion cranks , I think where and what did these engines do for who?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

This is a question that will always go unanswered, at least in the cases of owners like myself, whose Fords were of the vintage whose build cards and records were destroyed in a fire.

At least as far as can be determined, my 1915 Touring has its original engine and its number is 767495, which means the car was probably built in April or may of '15. And that's about all I've got as the previous owner could only tell me that he bought the car at an estate auction.

Perhaps there are records in a few different Department of Motor Vehicle offices in a few different states, but anyone who has ever had to deal with a government bureaucracy... well, the sentence completes itself, doesn't it?

Still, you bring up a very interesting topic and it would be nice to have this kind of information to present at venues like car-shows and schools. And wouldn't it be nice to find out that somewhere in the distant past, your ancient car had belonged to a very famous family?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:02 pm:

There were two previous owners of my 1919 Model T
Earnest Alm and my dad.
I don't believe that either of them are riding with me but I often ask myself "What would dad do in this situation?"

So far there has been no answers but I know that what dad taught me helps to answer the questions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:04 pm:

We know who originally owned all the antique cars in our family.

And, speaking of the original owner riding along, here is my dad about to give a ride to the original owner of his 1910 IHC Model F Roadster. My dad purchased it in 1951 in Delano, Minnesota. The photo was taken in 1966 in nearby Buffalo (I was also there and, even though I was very young, I remember bits and pieces).

There are still number of relatives of the family in Delano and a daughter and grandson live near us in south Minneapolis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

Sometimes the original owner of my '47 Dodge comes along for the ride...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

Not to get too philosophical, but, yes, I do believe the previous owners ride along with me. Perhaps they're not riding physically, but the evidence of their existence and their personality is riding along. Every feature on my car that's in good condition is the result of extra care by the previous owners. The original leather is still on the seats after 102 years. That says the car probably slept inside nearly every night. So the care of several very conscientious prior owners rides along with me.

Did you build your car out of mostly pieces ? Did you walk the rows at dozens of swap meets and spent countless nights cleaning and assembling parts ? Did you skin more than a few knuckles along the way ? Maybe you can't thank prior owners the way I do, but 50 or 100 years from now somebody will be driving your car and the proof of YOUR existence will be riding along with them. Without your skills, determination and perseverance some future owner would never be driving your car.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:17 pm:

Kind of a neat idea. The other drivers would my grandfather and his grandfather (my great-great-grandfather) who bought my T new in 1914. My dad and I were talking about that a little today as we were getting the engine back in the car: we are the 4th and 5th generation to monkey with this T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:56 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:05 pm:

Mike,

What did it say on the other side of the "Dead End" sign ? Maybe, "Stop or stop for good" ?

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Robb on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:16 pm:

Well, if the previous owner(s) are riding with me, I'll bet I'm scaring the poop out of them, 'cause I have built the engine and the Speedster really flies now, and I drive it like a bloody maniac.
Serves 'em right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:18 pm:

My first experience with the idea of somebody who had been there before me was when I was doing a weld repair on an airplane steel tube fuselage. Getting into position so I could hold the torch and welding rod at the right angle, see the weld, and keep the fire from burning me was like crawling into the jungle gym from hell. No matter how I turned the frame, how I twisted or contorted myself, or which hand I held the torch in, I couldn't find a workable position.

All the while I kept thinking of the certainty that some mortal had been exactly where I now was, suffering all the same cramps and frustrations and burns. The evidence was there for all to see -- somehow he had done it. At some point I remember saying out loud, "You son of a gun, how did you do this ?"

I'm not sure if he was smiling or not, but I certainly did feel a kinship.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 11:56 pm:

All great posts, I'm not alone, this being said I had the experience of A vehicle being at 1/4 throttle and then it was. Like someone stepping in the throttle full. I happened twice. Never again. But I patted the dash with my hand, thinking Ole Bob Was screwing with me , I he was known for driving fast

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:37 am:

Hmmm...it took 3 bodies to make one, I have a different frame, front end, rear fenders, rearend & driveline but the same license plates, engine block/head, trans, & crankcase, rad shell, headlights, bumpers & step plates. The rad, hood, hood blocks, front fenders, running boards and splash aprons are new. So I am the original owner of those parts. Two of five wire wheels are from another car, new aux tranny, & RM's from another car. I am not certain I could get all the previous owners inside. They could, I guess, ride on the running boards...hehehehehe !! Good thread Steve...
TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:38 am:

Great thread. When my parents past they had little or nothing at all to pass on to me except a couple of my Mothers oil paintings, a '47 Chevy Coupe and an old Kay guitar from the 1950s that I played as much or more than them. Right now I have a dilemma with the Coupe. It's gotten pretty ratty over the last 50 years and is in need of some serious help. Neither my brother or my sister want it. My daughter wanted it at one time but now neither her or my two sons want it. I haven't got room for it here at the trailer park nor the money to restore it. I will probably end up selling it to someone who's got an interest in it but it's going to be hard to do. It was the car Mom used and she treated it very well. She past away in 1977 at 47 years old and I see her by it every time I'm near it. It's a dilemma but for now I'm really dragging my feet when it comes to dealing with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 12:47 am:

Wayne, do you secretly channel Johnny Cash?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:39 pm:

Nope...Johnny Paycheck...hehehehe !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:50 pm:

Ha!!! Mr. Take This Job And Shove It. But J Cash did it one piece at a time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:25 am:

Several years ago, I was driving my '22 touring with the top down. I was by myself...or so I thought. I suddenly had the eerie feeling that someone--or something--was peering over my shoulder. I turned around, and there it was! A roll of paper towels, which I had stowed on the rear floorboard, had come unfurled in the swirling vortex of wind and was towering above me like a 15-foot serpent, ready to strike!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:49 am:

Jeff, now that is just funny! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:54 am:

Steve,

"Ever wonder if the previous owner from the past rides along with you?"

I think so, in fact, I'm kind of depending on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:27 am:

Jerry, I depend on it also and a few Angels My 1863 Surrey is real spooky, Sometimes I just sit in it ( with a few wine and beers of coarse). It takes me to another place in time. My horses go crazy when I pull it out , they take off to the the othe end of the pasture snorting and all havoc .
When I put the truck together. Many times the tools I had right next to me were gone. And I found them the next day, same goes with the building of the car, if set something up to the next procedure it was undone . Maybe I was losing it? My wife says I'm losing it cause I just purchased more T's and parts. I told her think about all the money you'll have when I'm gone

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration