How Could They......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How Could They......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Saturday, May 03, 2014 - 10:07 pm:

Tin Lizzie Derby wreck, April 23, 1939, Santa Rosa, CA. That was cruel and unusual punishment to those poor Model T's! I could see it if they were Ugo's, Pintos, AMC Hornet, Pacer or any Chevy product.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 04:28 pm:

if THEY hadn't what would they be worth today , same as a pinto. lol. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 05:06 pm:

"Heaped Lizzies" Time Magazine, May 1, 1939
At pretty little Santa Rosa, Calif, last week, 8,000 fun-loving rustics sat in the grandstand of the Sonoma County Fairgrounds,
and watched 46 local jalopies rattling round & round the trotting track in a 100-mile "Tin Lizzie Derby."

On the 80th lap, in front of the grandstand, two cars traveling at 50 m.p.h. locked wheels. A third car, trying to avoid them,
caromed into a fourth. Before the crowd could let out a collective scream, 19 cars had piled up.
Eight of the drivers were rushed to a hospital. None died.”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

I want the one upside down on the top of the pile with wire wheels.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

Indeed, how could they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:20 pm:

In Deed! How could they do that to History! Now pull Me Out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:38 am:

Yeah, I know it's a little off-topic, but the subject is close to my heart.

In those days, you could buy these airplanes, with a free fuel fill-up, for a song. But the ol' Jug was a gas hog (100 GPH) compared to the prettier Mustang (60 GPH), so today there are about 100 airworthy P-51 Mustangs, but only fifteen or so airworthy P-47 Thunderbolts—and each is worth a good deal more than a million bucks.

If only Dad had known what to do after he'd gotten his discharge papers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

I don't know how many P-51's I've seen at air shows, but I only remember seeing one P-47. That would be Tarheel Hal. I can only assume it is from NC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 12:54 am:

"Tarheel Hal" made its debut at the 1991 Oshkosh bash, but at the time, she was painted up as another aircraft, "Big Ass Bird II." I didn't care for either paint scheme, but the quality of the restoration was first rate.

The late Jeff Ethell gave a tour of the airplane in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75RwPrdAej8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:14 pm:

I have a friend who's father when mustered out bought one and flew it to Seattle.As I remember he paid $25.00. He had it mounted on the roof of his business for a number of years. He did have the fore thought to remove all instruments, seats and controls. He also drilled holes in the fuselage to let the rain run out.
some 10 years ago my friend now the owner of the plane was offered a huge amount of money for it. He decided not to sell but to lease it for 99 years to a group of professional plane restorers. I believe it is now finished and flying once again.

brascarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 02:17 am:

Boy, oh boy. Would I love to have a photo of THAT machine!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration