1915 transmission -problem?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1915 transmission -problem?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hycner on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:05 pm:

I have a 1915 engine that was rebuilt 45 years ago and was never fired up. We got it running a few months ago and ran nice. Today I fired it up and let it run about an hour on the engine stand. At that point I tried pushing the pedals, each time I push one the engine stumbles and quits, even if I raise the RPM. All the bands are on loose side and the output shaft is turning when the engine is running. Not sure what is wrong at this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Sounds like the triple gears are seized or out of time. Best thing to do is pull it down and check it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Your clutch pack may be stuck together. A longer run and heat from oil may free it up. You might throw a pint of ATF in the engine..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:21 pm:

Clutch is not adjusted or you are not pushing the low pedal to neutral before you push the other pedals in. The clutch has to be in neutral when you push the brake or reverse pedal or it will kill the engine. If pushing in the low pedal kills the motor, clutch needs adjusting or you are running to slow.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/309493.html?1346809106

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Penrod on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 04:30 pm:

Jim, Ive been thinking about your problem once in a while since I left you last. I think Mike might be on to something. Since its been buttoned up for so long, It would probably be best to tear the tranny apart and see what you have to work with. Since your engines on the stand its much easier now and would put your mind at ease knowing whats going on inside. I have an engine stand adapter you can use if you want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

Jim,

Since your engine is on a stand and not in the car, unless you have something holding the high speed clutch in neutral, pushing the brake or reverse will stall it. You should however be able to push the low pedal down PROVIDED that the high speed clutch linkage has been installed and adjusted so that the high speed clutch bell crank is actuated enough to let the high clutch into neutral.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

I guess Mark G. said the same thing. Now it's twice as true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 05:20 pm:

No need to pull everything down to check, take the top plate off and you can see and move the free play in the triple gears one at a time , checking the clutch is as simple as having the hi/low peddle in neutral(engine not running) and stick a uni joint in the trans drive plate, turn with a big shifting spanner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hycner on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 05:22 pm:

It was a few things combined...Jack was right on the clutches. They loosened up after it ran an hour. I could push the clutch pedal and it ran fine the second time I had it running. Jerry nailed the second part, there is no hand brake. I push the clutch a bit and then I can hit reverse or the brake and the engine is fine....
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 06:03 pm:

The barn fresh 1912 touring I recently purchased would not come out of gear no matter what we did. We loosened up the fingers and clutch pedal actuator plus loosened the bands to no avail. We even put a jack under the crank and put the weight of the car on the crank no difference.

When we removed the motor and the transmission cover everything looked great and clean. We disassembled the transmission and found the inner clutch discs were rusted together with a large amount of rust carbunkles on all the discs not allowing for disengagement. We replaced the discs and wella everything is good again and the transmission works perfectly.

Interesting, the only rust anywhere in the transmission or motor was internally on the discs.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 07:24 pm:

I had a similar problem ,only some jerk had put in an extra clutch disc. I still am reassembling engine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration