Wire wheel color

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Wire wheel color
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:38 pm:

I've decided to put wire wheels on my late 24-early 25 Roadster. I'm undecided about the color of the wheels. Would any of you happen to have photo examples of colored wire wheels on a roadster?

Thanks in advance!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:41 pm:

Would also like to hear what folks have used regarding paint. I hear some great results from people here using Les Schwabb Tire co to clean and powder coat the wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

Not sure the exact color as it came to us this way. I nearly had them repainted straw with wide whites (flame suit on, re: whitewalls):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 01:55 pm:

Sorry, wrong pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 02:03 pm:

I think yellow would be pretty nice as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 02:54 pm:

If you're going stock, the encyclopedia tells you what's what.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 03:47 pm:

This isn't a roadster, but it does have Straw Color wheels.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 07:10 pm:

I think the yellow I was talking about is actually "straw". Very nice Norm. I that yours?

Steve..thanks for the chart.

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 07:26 pm:

Limited (maybe 12) color choices but Les Schwab here will blast and powder coat for $25 and change. I've had them do both modern wheels and Model T wire wheels. They ship the wheels to somewhere in Oregon and have them back within a week. Worked well for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 08:02 pm:

Yes
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 09:09 pm:

My wire wheels get so dirty (oil dripping and road dirt) I think next time I need new tires I may just have them powder coated black. For those who have done the Powder coat, how is it holding up?

Or I may do a blast and clean job then paint them black.

Any recommendations for a tough enough paint?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

The straw powder coat on the wires of my gunmetal blue '26 tudor are just like the day I mounted them - 3 years ago. I even bought 4 of the best 21" wire wheels I've ever seen at a hot rod swap meet for $250 and am considering powder coating them another color then buying tires just to swap out the straw wheels from time to time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 09:51 pm:

Wow. $100 or more to blast and powder coat them in Milwaukee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 09:54 pm:

Erich -- Powder coating is way tougher than any paint you can get. $25 to blast and coat one? That's a bargain for sure. It costs between $50 and $100 to have them done here. But my local shop does great work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 09:57 pm:

Gary what type of paint did you use for your wheels?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 11:55 pm:

Straw powdercoat on these wheels...hold up great and look great even after 2500 miles of use so far.

TT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 12:00 am:

If you've got an oven big enough powder coat them yourself. I powder coated a set of '38 rims 8 years ago and they still look great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 12:40 am:

I would go with powder coat. Finished a set of Bud wire wheels for our 13 touring and spent over $200.00 for paint and primer plus $20.00 each for sand blast. Powder coating wire wheels is the best deal going. If the rims/hubs are badly rust pitted will require filling the pits with JB Weld. Standard body fillers will not take the temperature required to bake powder coat.

Besides.....hand sanding wire wheels is a BIG PAIN....the skin on my fingers wear away. Sanding blocks don't work well on wire wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 08:11 am:

Spencer, the wheels were already that color when we bought the T.

Wayne, one of my favorite T pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 08:42 am:

Les,
There's a product called "Hi-temp Lab Metal" available from Fastenal (it's expensive) that is used just like bondo on parts that are going to be powdercoated. After a few minutes you can scrape it, shape it, sand it, then cure it during the powder coating process.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Murray - Anacortes, WA on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 04:16 pm:

Thanks Gary...just a couple of minutes from home is Skyline Marina alongside Burrows Bay & Washington Park. The marina used to have the Anacortes Airport next door...thus the name, but the airport moved to higher ground about 5 more minutes away from where I parked. W

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration