Opened my '14 axle and found these thrust washers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Opened my '14 axle and found these thrust washers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

One is definitely babbitt but the other one is silver and shiny, I whacked it to try and see if it fractured like babbitt and it didn't- doesn't look bronze nor brass. Curious.washer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 05:19 pm:

I tore down an old axle and found they had used extra steel thrust washers in place of babbit or bronze ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gregory on Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 07:06 pm:

My 1919 Touring was like that Gary....someone stacked steel washers in place of the old babbit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:28 am:

Scrape or file the outer edge to see if it's a different colour under the patina.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:33 am:

It's babbitt too. Make it go away. :>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:00 am:

Looks like a non-Ford replacement. With that groove, it's obviously a thrust washer. I'm with Jerry. It's a display piece.

If you examine the other one closely, I expect you'll find the Ford brand.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration