Johnny came marching home-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Johnny came marching home-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:08 am:

It looks like they are happy to see him again.
Interesting cowl on the car too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:43 am:

What does it say on the windshield?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:49 am:

Gee, they never let me bring my weapon home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:55 am:

I'm with Hal but I was in the switch-over If the let me bring one home I would've chosen the M-14 not the Matel -16

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

I liked the M1911! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Noller on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 12:24 pm:

Loved my M1 Garand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 12:28 pm:

So many guns, so little time. I still like the M1 Garand best, but like them all.

By the way, how many guys were run through Boot, trained on the M-14, then got shipped out and handed an M-16 at the last second as they walked up the gang plank?

Sorry for the drift. The 1911 did share a bit of history with the T at least as they were at war together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 12:50 pm:

I went thru' 13 weeks of basic training at Paris Island, SC 1963-'64 with an M-14, however, after that, ITR training at Camp Lejune, NC which was with the old 7.62 mm caliber M1. Was told that this was due to still such a large surplus of M1's remaining from WWII. I'd love to have either one right now, and they're still available, but pretty expensive. The M-14 is really just about the same as the old M1, except that the M-14 has the flash surpressor and the entire stock of the M1 is wood, whereas the M-14 has that composition piece instead of the all-wood fore piece like the M1. I guess for that reason, if I had my choice, I guess I like the "all-wood" stock M1 best. I'll never forget that my first shot on the range at 500 yards was a "bullseye" with that M-14 with iron sights! I was so surprised at the "bullseye" that I thought the guy next to me had shot at my target!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

And don't forget those 12 extra rounds you have with the 14. It also isn't as obvious to your enemy that you just fired your last round. The M1 has that distinctive "DING" when the clip goes flying out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 01:01 pm:

sorry..... My M-2Carbine was light (so was the ammo ) and it fired fast and sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 01:56 pm:

I wish I still had my Browning 1919 belt fed. It was a lot of fun but so expensive to shoot. Now I have a Ford 1919. It's also a lot of fun but less expensive to drive, I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 01:59 pm:

That is not his issue weapon, it looks like a Winchester 94 or similar, and only the Air Corps who guarded the trees in Alaska and Washington were issued Winchesters and I think they were carbines not rifles. I suspect that this photo was taken while on leave after finishing boot camp, as he has not been to France, or he would not be wearing the campaign hat or canvas leggings. It also looks like he has an insignia on his hat, and that would indicate that he is probably a Marine, as no other branch worn insignia on the campaign hat of ORs. And it does look like an EGA.
Best
Gus

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 04:20 pm:

You're right Gus. Looks like a lever action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 05:47 pm:

So, what does it say on the windshield????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 05:59 pm:

Hal,The M1 also had a loud cussing storm if you were slow with your thumb!!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 06:08 pm:

I was deaf for 24 hours after firing the M-14 on the range. They're not made for lefthanders..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 06:41 pm:

David;
Guess we will never know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

Looks like a Boy Scout with a squirrel gun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

KWD - I believe that became a well-known military phrase,....."M1 thumb"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:46 pm:

M1 thumb is unforgettable if you ever got bit by one. The trick is to jam the spring clip with 8 cartridges down into the open chamber area while simultaneously preventing the bolt from slamming shut with the heel side of the same hand. Get bit a few times and you will be very focused on doing it correctly. The 30-06 is a very powerful cartridge, thus the bolt return spring is very powerful. So it follows the M1 bites pretty hard if your thumb is in the way of the bolt returning to battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:08 pm:

I've never had the bolt get my thumb, but I've had a close call or two. Maybe we should use our left hand......On second thought......:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph W. Rudzik on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:18 pm:

Looks like it might be Dad's lever action rifle he's holding for the photo. It's hard to read what's on the windshield.

Joe R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 11:01 pm:

Looks like the family deer rifle, lever action. I have a similar pic. of my grand father from 1919 with the family shotgun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 11:43 am:

The 30-06 M1 specifically required military grade ammo. That cartridge had a harder primer as when the chambered cartridge loaded and the bolt slammed shut, there was on occasion enough force to have the firing pin fire an unwarranted shot. Actually, with civilian ammo, a full clip could be cycled unknowingly. I am really careful where the muzzle is pointed anytime handling ammo or ready to fire downrange.

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/avbxv.jpg[/IMG]

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration