Adelaide's First Centredoor - May 1915.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Adelaide's First Centredoor - May 1915.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 06:11 pm:

This story starts with a special designed coachwork made for the crippled Managing Director (limited movement with leg braces and sticks) of Duncan & Fraser selling his car as discussed in the thread below.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/362939.html

It was told to me by the Duncan Family that the car was sold for a closed car in 1915. At the time I duly noted the remark, but thought it was another family "wivestale" told to me at the time.

I have been searching through Trove looking for other things when I stumbled on this snippet reported in Adelaide's "The Register" newspaper, 5th May, 1915 on page 5. The article is below:

What is interesting is 2 things. First is May 1915 is the first Canadian closed car to arrive in South Australia. Second, it mentions it being "...finished in dark blue and black."

I continued the search and hopefully to find at least another article on this specific car. I am so lucky that a photo survived. Attached is a photo published in the Royal Automobile Associations's June 1915 "South Australian Motor" magazine on page 14.

Photo is courtesy of the Royal Automobile Association.

Reading the text in the "SA Motor" article it also mentions the car "The body is highly finished in blue and black."

Has anybody else heard of the blue & black colour scheme on 1915 Centredoor Sedans?

James Duncan kept this car through the war. It was replaced in 1920 with another Centredoor. The 1920 model was fully modified with hand controls, as was his next Centredoor purchased in 1922, so he could drive them. I have been unable as yet to find out if this 1915 was modified the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 06:37 pm:

The 1915 T Town car, I have been told came in "Midnight" Blue body with black fenders. So the center door may have been the same for some of them, if not all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:28 pm:

David, All the Fords which came to us from Canada were blue and black. This being a sedan is unusual as only touring and roadsters were shipped here normally.

The cars being blue and black is listed in the Canadian Ford bulletins showing all the car up till 1919 Blue. The chassis and guards were black.

By the way so were the USA cars, but the blue is so dark its hard to see unless in bright sunlight and black was first applied so the blue would cover, a clear was then used on top to give the color glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:28 pm:

There is some evidence that the Town Car, Sedan, and Coupelet were available in either all-black or blue bodies with black fenders, splash aprons, and hoods in the 1915 model year. I'm still looking for the "smoking gun" which will undisputedly prove that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

The 1915 Town Car in MN was found, quite original, in about 1955. Dwight Madsen had it painted, I believe, the original color found on the car. He had it painted Midnight blue body and black fenders. That T is still in MN.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 07:34 pm:

Thanks, Darel. I hope he took some pictures showing the original blue paint before removing it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration