OT WARNING GD bandit metal salvagers !!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT WARNING GD bandit metal salvagers !!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

Out driving my Honda Element last night all fine. This morning meeting friend for breakfast. turned it over ROAR !! Dang what happened to my muffler ? didn't run over anything. Got out, got under GD it !!! some stole my Cat.Converter $&!$%!*!%!$!& !!!
Checked salvage value and they get $240 for my converter. They really want those rare metals ! Bastards, clad I have comp.ins. 250 deductible. That cat. lists for $935 Yankee Greenbacks . High clearance veh. are hit more then reg. cars , they can slide under and be off with it in less than two mins. Check with your fav. muffler shop about an anti-theft device or cage for that puppy !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 07:49 pm:

Sounds like a good welding project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 08:33 pm:

George,

A friend of mine lives out in Corona and goes for his morning coffee at the local Mickey D's. Always parks where he can see the truck from the window he's sitting at.

He parked his Toyota p/u in the lot and walked in to order his cup of joe. Finished up, went out to the truck, and fired it up. He said it sounded like he was driving a Sherman Tank.

When he looked underneath, the Catalytic Converter was A.W.O.L. The scum bags took less time to steal the C.C. than it did to walk at a normal pace to the restaurant, order a cup of coffee, and sit down.

They look for vehicles with good ground clearance and they use cordless Sawzalls. Gone in LESS than 60 seconds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 08:37 pm:

Sounds like a good stainless steel snare project, either you will have the thief or their hand. A loop of cable that they can't get off and the more it gets pulled the tighter it gets...no question that is what I would do and call it a muffler wrap that the material fell off. A simple leader cable at the fishing store will work well--then the boots in the morning applied to the bag of trash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

It happens in parking lots all across the country. It is easy money for thieves, and less risky than taking the whole car. Thieves make the converters, air bags, and tail gates off trucks their favorite targets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iilgb4WhPrg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

Similar experience:
Once a few years ago when I was doing facilities in schools we had installed a number of relocatable classrooms in several schools. Before they had even one day of student use, first thing one morning we found all the copper wire connecting the buildings to their power sources (literally a couple of tons of copper wire) had been cut at each end in the Christie boxes, pulled out with a vehicle, and was long gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

Friend of mine was at a nice italian restaurant having dinner. Car parked in front right by the door. Came out and someone had sawzalled the catalytic converters from a dozen cars. Not much you can do about that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

You know the scrapyard knows who's doing it. Who brings in a dozen catalytic converters that came about them honestly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:21 pm:

I got the best remedy ever. I have a 94 model and had my muffler man to remove the converter and put in a test pipe. I know the guys at the inspection so, no problem there. My other truck is a diesel so it doesn't have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

Watch out for park and ride lots, a favorite in the Seattle area.

One Seattle new truck dealer had 15 cats cut from 4x4's in 1 night. The replacement cost to the dealer was $1100 each. Because the trucks were new and under warranty he had to purchase new factory parts.

The Washington State Patrol now requires service shops to write the vin number on the old cat of any car where a cat is replaced. The scrap yards can not purchase a cat without the vin number on the used cat. It is a $500.00 fine for a service shop to have a used or replaced cat without the number on it.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:35 pm:

Hopefully soon we will read a news story about one of these losers being dragged down the street my a truck owner who got his coffee to go. When the driver reaches his garage, the newspapers can use the headline, "Look what the CAT dragged in".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:37 pm:

Yep, same thing happening on the east coast. Happened in the parking lot of where I work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

Two idiots near here jumped a fence to steal wire out of a power distribution center. One guy got cooked and the other got charged with murder because a death occurred during a felony.

Scrap yards around here won't even take metal without a picture ID and they have to maintain records. I think it was a law passed a couple of years ago. Copper pipe and wire used to be high on the list for thieves. It shifted to window air conditioners and outside condensers for the aluminum for a while. I don't know what the current target might be now.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration