Muncie transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Muncie transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Dorey on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

I just got a really nice Muncie, looks great inside, but someone cut the stick off and it must have been exposed to the weather as the stick mount and the ball are badly rusted and pitted. I thought I would just weld a new stick on, maybe JB weld on the ball and reshape it to a smooth ball again. But thought I might try here and see if anybody has one. There was a post on here(I think) by Tom Tuominen who had a broken Muncie case. Is he still here and or does anybody know him? I would like to contact him to see if he has the stick and if he would be interested in selling it.
Any help much appreciated.
Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Pitts on Monday, May 05, 2014 - 11:11 pm:

Neil, I'm just across the border in Ferndale and have a couple Muncies that are available. Send me a PM Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

You can go to a craft shop and get a round wooden ball. drill and tap a proper hole and then screw a bolt in the hole. Shake up a can of black paint and dip the ball in the paint. Hang it up-side -down and let it dry for a while. Then turn it right-side-up and put in in the jaws of your vise. Keep alternating this to keep the paint from forming a hump at the top of the ball.

After about a week or so screw the ball on the shifter stick. Se mine on #22 below. It cost me 50 cents.

ball

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

I think he was referring to the metal ball below the shift lever, not the top Frank. Don't think wood would hold up in his situation ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Tuominen on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 12:20 pm:

Neil. When I had my failure, I purchased a Muncie from John Danuser. I just swapped out the internals. I don't remember if there was a shift lever on the one that John sold me. When I get home tonight, I will look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 12:49 pm:

Neil,
While you're at it, if you don't already have them you should be looking for the Muncie U-Joint you'll need for the front of it and the coupler you'll need for the rear of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Dorey on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:18 pm:

Thanks for all your replies, looks like Steve may have what I need. Going to see him next Weds.
he is sure he has a stick and he might have the coupler and a U-Joint. Here is a shot of my old stick, pitted pretty bad locating pin almost gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Dorey on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

I also have a question about the oil to use for these, they have bronze bushings and ball bearings.
Anybody know what oil these are suppose to run, or what oil those who a running one of these are using.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

Neil,
Don't throw those parts away. Someday they may be used as a pattern, or even repaired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Dorey on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 12:12 am:

I will keep it, along with other pieces I have collected over the years. Its funny how things like that come in handy, once seen a rusted truck hood turn into a fender skirt for a custom Merc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Tuominen on Monday, May 12, 2014 - 05:40 am:

Neil, I found the shift lever with the ball. Sent me a PM with your address and the lever is yours if you still want it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration