Completely O.T.- New acquisition

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Completely O.T.- New acquisition
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 06:37 am:

I have just acquired a new member of my stable. Although the marque (Rover P4) is fairly common, this particular car features some interesting innovations for the first year of production. The rectangular instruments and push-button internal door releases, were discontinued for 1951 the second year of production. This therefore is one of a dozen or so still running worldwide. I feel rather privileged to be her new custodian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 07:48 am:

Very nice Dane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 07:55 am:

Rover maybe common down under but that is the first one of those I've seen very nice I hope you drive her frequently

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:17 am:

Good for you! Looks like fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:30 am:

Never laid eyes on one of those. Nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Lingg - Tarboro, NC on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 11:20 am:

Does the center light turn?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

I was wondering the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

Nice. 50s and 60s British cars like Rover, Riley, Humber, Armstrong-Siddeley, Wolseley are great value in Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 02:18 pm:

I don't know the first thing about this car, but I doubt the center light turns for two reasons, 1) it looks to be rigidly fastened in the grill, and 2) the front wheels are turned to the right and the light is not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 02:53 pm:

What is the drive train made of? Photos of engine, etc? Since we are OT, might as well do it all the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 04:58 pm:

Looks like you have a penchant for Rovers going by the series 3 up slope

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 05:23 pm:

Great P4 75 "Cyclops" Dane. I had a 1960 P4 100 for many years.

For the American guys, the centre light ( hence the Cyclopes nickname) doesn't turn, it is actually a "pass" lamp. Before dipping headlights in the UK were common when you approached an oncoming car and dipped your lights the head lamps would turn off and the center pass lamp would illuminate so as not to dazzle the oncoming traffic. The overall design of the car was heavenly influenced by Studebaker and, indeed, the rear doors are suiiside. The engine is a straight 6 of 2.2 litres with overhead inlet and side exhaust valves ( L head) driving through a 4 speed manual gearbox with synchro on 3rd and 4th. The change is column shift. It also has a freewheel in the gearbox.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 05:37 pm:

Often referred to as the poor mans Rolls Royce. My mother drove one when I was in high school and I was soo embarrassed I made her let me out a couple of blocks from school when she drove me. Kids made fun of a car named Rover.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 05:40 pm:

Great to see it in a good home and loved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:01 pm:

Dane,

Congratulations! Great looking car. As a youth I always enjoyed looking at the Horseless Carriage Gazette "Pride & Joy" page. Owners with Autocars to Willis-Knight and everything in between were happy to share their favorite car or new car etc. For most of us our cars are so much more than just transportation. Have fun with your "New Pride & Joy."

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hunter on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 10:08 pm:

In America you didn't get the centre light, it was replaced by a metal dome.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Norton on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 12:44 am:

Great car, Dane.

Rover P4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 01:02 am:

We had a few of those but the Rover "90" was quite popular in the very early 60s, maybe late 50s.
They also had an F head, it was a similar car.
The Rover 2000 & 2000 TC were extremely popular in Ca., but I never see any anymore.
Rover & Triumph were together for a while (Rover-Triumph or Leyland Triumph?) and were soon taken over by BMC to be called British-Leyland.
Rover is now owned by BMW. Some Land Rover types have a BMW V-12 as well as Rolls Royce which is also owned by BMW. Some use the aluminum V8 which Rover got from GM many years ago.
It has also been used in the Triumph TR8, MGB V8 and the Rover 3500 sedan.
The new Mini Cooper is made by BMW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 01:20 am:

I could be wrong but I don't think that Mini Cooper of late has anything to do with Rover, it was all split up long ago, Mini is or was still BMC and something to do with BMW but Rover after Ford owned it was sold to the Indian company, Tata.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 02:13 am:

Handsome looking car. Looks to be in really nice condition, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 07:18 am:

Most of the questions have been answered by others, so I though a brief history might be of interest.

The Rover company has a fascinating history dating back to the mid-1800's withe A James Starley developing improved sewing machines, James, along with a partner started building bicycles and tricycles His nephew, John Kemp Starley worked with James for a while, then started out on his own building bikes and trikes. One of his best tricycles, he call the Rover, because one could 'rove' all over the countryside with it. The name stuck, and subsequently the company became the Rover Cycle Company. John developed a bicycle with equal size (30")wheels, instead of the traditional high wheel models. His new machine was chain driven to the back wheel- hence the modern bicycle. He built an experimental battery-powered quadricycle in about 1890, and was on the way to developing i.c. engined cycles at the time of his death in 1902. Such was the strength of his company that it continued with cycle manufacture along with motorcycles, and in 1904 produced the first Rover car.
Rover cars were generally low-priced utilitarian vehicles, and so the company continued to prosper eventually ceasing bicycle manufacture, then ceasing motorcycles in favour of cars.
Financial difficulties during the 1930 depression created a change of leadership, and the new managers decided to opt for high quality cars, rather than more utilitarian ones. They developed some very good cars and settled on the F head engine for later ones.
In 1939, car production was put aside for war work. One of the things they were involved with was working with Frank Whittle on the jet engine. After some time, that work was passed to Rolls Royce, and Rover, in exchange built an engine for tanks that Rolls had designed.
After the war, the first cars in production were identical to the 1939 models, but, after 2 other post war models, the Rover 75 (my car being an early example) was produced. At about the same time, the company designed a Rover for the land, hence the 'Land Rover', but that is another story.
The factory designated the model as 'P4' That is, the fourth post war model. In 1952, the central headlight was discontinued in favour of a more conventional grill as you can see in this 1954 example here-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZALLDmqzSAM

The P4 remained in production until 1963. Over the years it was available with a variety of different size engines, but all based on the pre-war I.o.E valve arrangement. They were an expensive car and well over-engineered. They were aimed at middle-executive buyers, the bank manager, doctor, etc.
A side-story is, that, building on their wartime experience Rover produced the first Gas Turbine car. The chassis of which was a P4 Rover. If you look up 'Jet 1' there are photos and stories about it.

Models that followed were the P5- aimed at the top executive market (Prime Ministers owned them as did the Queen)The P6 and then the SD1.
By this time British motor manufacturing was going through a dark time. British Leyland swallowed up virtually all of the other manufacturers, Rover included. Because Rover was the 'class' car of the conglomerate, they used that name for many of their products, but poor build quality, industrial action etc., caused their collapse, and along the way sullied the brand.
After various changes, BMW acquired the names and the factories, but eventually sold off the Rover name to a British business group, retaining some of the brand names for themselves, including the Mini and Land Rover. The company finally died in 2006 and the cars are now being built in China under a modified name, Rowe, I think it is.
BMW continue with the Mini. Ford bought the Land Rover name and produces those vehicles.

It is a sad end to what was, from 1930 to about 1970 a brilliantly designed, well engineered marque that was known as "One of Britain's Finest Cars"

There is still a smattering of Rover products to be found in USA. Occasionaly members of Rover forums turn up with Rover cars 'across the pond' from time to time.

Dane.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 08:00 am:

Dane, you didn't finish the story,
June 2008, Ford sold both Land Rover and Jaguar to Tata Motors India. This sale also included the dormant Rover name.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 10:32 pm:

Thanks Kerry.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration