1927 open car windshield glass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1927 open car windshield glass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 07:44 am:

I had the plate glass replaced with safety glass in my windshield eight years ago. Since then, the upper frame tends to spread open at the bottom. The lower glass panel has bowed so it is no longer parallel with the upper panel and bubbles are appearing along the bowed edge.

Conclusions:
The glass could be too wide.
The glass setting material (cork and black mastic) could be too thick.
The repo windshield stanchions may not have the correct width between them.

Questions:
Can someone provide the glass measurements for the 1927 roadster?
Is there anything special to tell the glass shop concerning the setting material to be used?
What is the correct width between centers of the windshield stanchions?

Any help will be greatly appreciated to get this long standing problem resolved!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:37 am:

Here are the drawings for the '26/'27 open car windshield glass from Ford's glass price list:

glass 1
glass 2

(originally posted by Ray Elkins in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/46320.html?1201254336 )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:11 am:

Eric

My '27 measurements, made with stanchions on car, and windshield frames clamped closed in the cups of the stanchions.

Note: (measured from inside edge of cups) that hold the windshield frames.

Lower stanchion inner edge of cup to cup: 38 7/8"

Upper stanchion inner edge of cup to cup: 38"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

Roger, thanks so much for the glass sizing. I'll translate this into metric and make a full size cardboard model of each piece.

Dan, I'll measure tomorrow (my T-time is used up for the day). Thanks very much!

One more question, does flat safety glass come in only one thickness or do I need to specify something special?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 04:42 pm:

Keep in mind that the double dimensions on the drawing are minimum and maximum. The ideal size is in between with +/- 1/32". If you're using modern glass tape, use the smaller dimensions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

Thanks Ken. I'm still trying to take it all in!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

Dan, measurement between stanchions at the cups is 39 1/16. Guess that's why my top hardly fits down over the dowels. With the old plate glass it fit perfectly. Time to grind some safety glass down...

Thanks for your help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 06:07 pm:

Thanks for your help - everyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

When I had my glass cut for my 1925 roadster, I made a copy of the original Ford glass chart for the glass man to go by. He paid no attention. A lot of good that did!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration