Open Car Door Fit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Open Car Door Fit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 11:04 am:

Here's a low-cost and effective solution to a problem I was having. (Don't we all like those? :-) )

When I closed the door on my Runabout, the bottom corner of the door stuck out from the body farther than the top corner. This seems to be a common problem. So I used two screw eyes, a turnbuckle, and some wire, all of which I had in my shop, to fix it.

Everything is behind the plane of the door panel, so it won't interfere with the fit of the panel. It takes surprisingly little pressure to tweak the door into submission.

edge

You can see how the door is now even with the body all along its rear edge. You could do this even more cheaply without the turnbuckle, but it gives you an easy means to get the adjustment just right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 11:19 am:

That's my kind of fix! Good job Mike.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 12:34 pm:

Hmmm, my door sticks out on the bottom, I think I'll give your method a try, thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 01:11 pm:

Mike, Uncle Jack has been using that trick for quite awhile. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 01:30 pm:

I've done the same trick on a couple of T's I found a similar set up at a junk store they were for the old screen doors. Probably paid $1.00 ea. for them. They have a 3/16 steel rod with turnbuckle, they work very well also.
I just cut them to fit then hammer a flat spot in the rod ends and drill a couple holes and attach it to the wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 02:12 pm:

Kenny -- You've gotta get up pretty early to get ahead of Uncle Jack! :-)

I know I didn't invent this method; in fact I probably saw it here a few years ago. But it worked so slick I thought it was worth mentioning again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 03:19 pm:

Mike,I don't want to ruin your day,but if you didn't put a locking nut next to turnbuckle,it will vibrate loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 03:21 pm:

that's what the tin panel under the upholstery is for on the later cars! nail it on at the top then then twist the door to where you want it and nail the rest down it will stay there. then you will have a nice smooth surface for the upholstery. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 04:07 pm:

Good thinking!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 04:29 pm:

I have got about 300 bodies out there with doors done that way.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 07:05 pm:

Another way to do it, although not as cheap, unless you have some in stock is: align the door where you want it and pour some Kwik Poly down the back side of the wood (between the wood and sheet metal). When it hardens, you will be all set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 07:15 pm:

Unca' Jack -- No problem, I used Loctite. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 10:45 pm:

I fixed the drivers door of a 1934 Packard V12 cabriolet the same way. Cheap fix for an expensive car.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration