Priming cup spark plug

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Priming cup spark plug
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

Looking for a model t t thread priming cup spark plug for explosion whistle. I don't care about the brand just want one that will spark.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 06:17 pm:

Champion H-14 are the most available but still expensive.Would it be doable to drill and tap a reg plug? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

That's always a possibility, but I would prefer an original plug.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

I see them come up of T-bay every once in a while.

Were there any at Bakersfield?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

Here's one if you have deep pockets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Champion-Priming-Spark-Plug-Box-/331195608773?pt=LH_Defa ultDomain_0&hash=item4d1ccbeec5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:37 pm:

Most regular plugs can't simply be drilled as the sealing ring for the electrode is level with the top edge of the threads. In other words, one can't drill into the flat where the wrench goes as the hole would be above the porcelain sealing ring, isolated from the combustion chamber. One of the only plugs I can think of that is built in such a way as to be an exception to this rule is the old green splitdorf plugs as they seal above the wrench flats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

Maybe you are already aware of this. Explosion whistles originally came with an adapter to accept the spark plug. However, more whistles have survived than adapters.

Reproduction adapters are available from MAC's:

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_t/explosion-whistle-adapter.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:10 pm:

I think i have 6,4 in the engine and 2 in the tool box.At 100.00 it should be perfect nos.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, May 06, 2014 - 09:32 pm:

The issue with the adapters is that they raise the spark plug up and away from the cylinder reducing the ability to properly combust the fuel mixture. These new adapters lift the plug over an inch above the cylinder and have a restrictive smaller hole at the bottom of the adapter.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 12:32 am:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bruckzone/4587813891/sizes/l

Here is one I have. Compare the photo to the description I gave above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 11:53 am:

Here is another one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-Model-T-Ford-Gas-Primer-Collector-Spark- Plug-1909-27-/331196763494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d1cdd8d66

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 12:09 pm:

Not a "T" plug !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

We have had the explosion whistle on the 12 for 50 years and the plug is an inch or so out of the cylinder. Broke the crank after 101 years of service now the engine is apart, you can not tell which cylinder the whistle was in they are all same. There is no damage. I have looked at using a primer plug but that would put the hole so far down in the you can't get a fitting on it.The whistle was put on in 63 or 64.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 07:08 pm:

Like Colin, with the whistle connected to an adapter or without the whistle one can not tell any difference in the performance of the motor, except when the whistle is actually being used.

I put it down to the fact the compression ratio is so low the adaptor hardly changes things.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration