Sunderman Carburetor Instruction Manual

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Sunderman Carburetor Instruction Manual
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 10:14 am:

I thought some of you here who own a Sunderman carb might enjoy having a copy of the original instruction manual to go with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 10:58 am:

Jay I have one of those carbs just never did find the sq intake to mate up with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 12:27 pm:

Frederick R. Sunderman
Newburgh, New York
Assignor to Sunderman Safety Carburetor Corp.
Newburgh, New York
Carburetor
Patent Number: 1208227
Filing date: Jan 29, 1916
Issue date: Dec 12, 1916
http://tinyurl.com/mdb877u

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 01:00 pm:

Wow! Saves 50% of your gasoline! No wonder they are so hard to find. I'll bet the oil companies bought them all up. Of course, my uncle's neighbor's father bought a car with one of those. It was an experimental model that somehow got out of the lab and onto a production vehicle. No matter how far he drove it, he always arrived with more gas than he left with. Eventually, he started having to syphon off gas from the tank to keep it from overflowing. Then one night, some guys from the oil company came and........:-)

Be honest. You know somebody that has told this story, don't you? I do. Where ever that boy is right now, I promise you he's telling a lie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 02:21 pm:

Ah come on now Hal - That sounds like a 'Fish' story . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 06:37 pm:

Yeah, back in the 50's someone built a carburetor that would give 100 miles per gallon. Last I heard, Standard Oil bought the patent. Too bad no one else has ever figured out how to do it.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 08:45 pm:

Chuck, yep, I've heard that story since I was 10 or 11 years old(I'm 64 now). The brand of car and the circumstances of how it came to be and how it was removed and who removed it usually vary, but it's basically the same story. There is a retired banker(no dummy by any means) that lives here and he still believes it. So far, I haven't heard one about fuel injection units yet, maybe we ought to start one<g>. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 08:59 pm:

I really shouldn't have hijacked Jay's thread (That IS a really neat carb!), but that claim of saving 50% of your gas was just too much to resist.

On a similar note, I heard a story once about some guy who had converted his pickup to run on propane or CNG or some such where he no longer needed the fuel tank. He stopped off at a gas station and decided to have a little fun with the attendant. He went inside and bought a tin of aspirin and asked if he could use the water hose. He goes out and puts the water hose into the fuel tank and proceeds to fill it up, then makes a big show out of taking a couple of the aspirin out of the tin and tossing them into the fuel tank. Then he supposedly gets in the truck and drives off. I have no idea whether this was true, but it made for a funny story either way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 10:39 am:

Jay;
Would you have an instruction booklet for the Marvel carburetor?
MarkG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 01:30 am:

It is not unrealistic to say that they would improve the fuel mileage by 50%. Not under all conditions but ..............

Before you make too much fun of them, they were one of the first successful air valve carburetors for Model T's. They were first on the market in 1915/16 and were a massive improvement over the Kingston L-2, which is what was being supplied on Fords at the time. The concept of the air valve operating the fuel regulation needle at all times was not a new idea for carburetion but was applied here to a small carburetor for smaller engines, such as a Ford. Notice that there is no connection to the standard Ford adjustment needle. Once adjusted, the fuel regulation is by the variable vane in the inlet. Most of the wasted fuel and fuel problems with other carbs was the failure of proper adjustment by the operator. By running a quite lean mixture at initial setting the Sunderman not only decreased the amount of fuel used at low power requirements but also greatly decreased the possibility of fouled plugs, which require more fuel to ignite the mixture.

They are great little carburetors, were on the market for about 10 years with virtually no changes, thousands and thousands were sold and there are still a lot of them around. You would be amazed at how well they run. I have a new old stock one that I bought at the Lethbridge swap meet.

The square design is pretty smart, too. Is is far easier to make an air valve that opens and graduated amount if the hole and the valve are the same square shape. It's also cheaper. Think about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:26 am:

I ran the Sunderman carb on my '13 for a while. It is a very good running carburetor. I used it with the standard '13 aluminum intake. I took it off mainly because cork floats make me nervous.

Sunderman sold this intake separately from the carburetor. Notice how low it places the carburetor, I wonder if that was to give a little bit better fuel pressure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:27 am:

Thanks Stan. I'm not real concerned about improving my mileage, but I have to say your description makes it intriguing. What do they usually go for, if you were to find one at a swap meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:29 am:

I paid $75 for a new old stock Sunderman at Chickasha.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration