Tire repair on a Model T-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Tire repair on a Model T-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 02:35 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 02:52 pm:

Looks like he's using the proper wrench that came with the factory tool kit too! Pretty sure this was just "staged" for the photo though, because at this point, I really don't see any reason to take the demountable rim off!

Something doesn't look right here though,.....just noticed the cowl vent door but also noticed that the front fenders are definitely NOT the "new improved" '26 - '27 style! Did a Fordor '25 or older car have the cowl vent?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 02:53 pm:

Correct Harold - so did the '24 - '25 Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 03:27 pm:

Thanx Steve,.....I'll never get 'em all straight! You might remember that my '23 Roadster (or, is it a Runabout?) has one rear fender that's wrong (earlier) and I didn't even notice that until "YOU" pointed it out to me! I wonder how long (if ever) it would have taken me to learn that,....??? Really,....I'd have felt better about that car until "YOU" pointed out what is now (to me) a very obvious "flaw" in the amateur restoration! Thanks a lot,......(I guess)......ha,ha,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

Maybe he discovered the demountable rim a little late due to his tenth can of beer on the fender.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 06:41 pm:

That's not beer on the fender.

It's most likely a patch kit - metal or cardboard tube, metal cap with built in buffer/scuffer.

Pretty common - I have one or two like that on the shelf and I see them all the time at swap meets and estate sales.

If not, then it may be tire talc.

Also, the car is a Fordor - too many windows to be a coupe (or a Tudor).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 07:22 pm:

Harold eluded to that fact, Erik. I simply added that the '24 - '25 Coupe also sported a cowl vent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

Would they even have had canned beer back then?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 07:43 pm:

According to this site, no, the first canned beer went on sale in 1935:

http://beercanhistory.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 07:57 pm:

I liked it better when the can was a beer...

Herb, any information on the date of the Photo? Looking at the young mans clothing and haircut I could easily be convinced it was taken in the late 40's or early 50's, in which case that could be a beer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 11:16 am:

Looks like the wrench he is using is the one they introduced in 1914, not the later style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 11:22 am:

It could be that the inflation was low and the tire and tube came off while he was driving, and he couldn't patch it so he is removing the rim to put on a spare which is already mounted.
Norm

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration