Right Stuff Gasket Sealer by Permatex

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Right Stuff Gasket Sealer by Permatex
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 05:20 pm:

In another thread, it was recommended to use Right Stuff when assembling engines for no leaks.

I'm trying to remove the hogs head on one of my T engines that was assembled with Right Stuff and it won't come apart. It won't budge. The hogs head is aluminum and I'm afraid that if I push and pry too much I might break it. It seems like it's welded on.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 05:28 pm:

Run the blade of a box knife all the way around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 05:58 pm:

Walmart hitech carb cleaner will melt it. Or at least it did for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 08:27 pm:

I drove wooden shims in all (also aluminum hogs head) the way around to get it to separate along with what Steve suggested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

The Right Stuff turned out to be the wrong stuff for me. I'm too slow. It sets up on me before I'm ready to put the pieces together. I'll stick with good old non-hardening Permatex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 08:38 pm:

It was the wrong stuff for me when I found out how much it cost.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 09:55 pm:

I use a metal putty knife/scraper to "cut" through the sealant all the way around the hogshead before trying to pry it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 10:23 pm:

Thank you to all of you.

I'm trying to do remove the hogs head on my '14 Touring with the engine remaining in the car. All things considered, I'm now going to remove the engine to do it.

Between these creaky old bones, not having a door on the left side, limited room to move and dealing with the Right Stuff just makes it too much to do in the car. I think when I get the engine out, I'll use the box knife / putty knife with the wood shims to slowly & gently get the hogs head to release.

BTW, when it goes back together I won't be using Right Stuff. It has it's place, but this isn't it as far as I'm concerned. :-)

Thanks again to each of you for your help.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 10:35 pm:

Keith:

I use a torch and apply a little heat to either flange. This usually releases the two parts. I also use it to remove gaskets quickly and cleanly.

Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 11:23 pm:

As a suggestion, use grease between the gasket and hogshead and sealant between the gasket and pan. The pan usually has peaks and valleys and needs sealant to avoid leaks. To use any type of hardening sealant without grease on one side to release, you'll have the same problem you're experiencing. Been there, done that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 11:24 pm:

K,
I use "The Right Stuff" because that's what they use in "my" auto repair shop and it doesn't cost me anything. 'Wish I were there to help you...two sets of creaky old bones should be able to get the job done. Regards to Carol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 11:33 pm:

Gotta say that I used TRS on damn near everything that needed a gasket sealant and some things that didn't. (I did use shellac with the hogsheads-to-block felt) Never any problem with it and well worth the extra $$ for me. No leaks at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 11:41 pm:

Did it Leak? If you think about all the leak free driving compared to how often it requires a little effort to remove I vote for no leaks.

Richard is right, with any type of sealant that sets up it'll be somewhat hard to get apart.

I read about some very good ideas that I'll give a try next time. I've always had pretty good luck with the putty knife but like the torch/heat gun idea to soften or the hi tech carb cleaner.

I think the Ultra Black is nearly as good and a lot less expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Benoit on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 05:20 am:

I used Loctite 5900 on my hogshead and it worked well. I'm not sure on the cure time for Right Stuff but the 5900 gives you about 30 minutes to get things sorted before it is semi cured.

It's also a Ford approved product:

http://www.henkel.com/henkel-headlines/news-2012-20121119-ford-extols-the-virtue s-of-loctite-liquid-gasketing-37748.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 07:34 am:

I wonder if you may have overlooked a couple bolts? I use The Right Stuff on anything oil related (including aluminum or iron hogsheads) that requires sealant. It should come apart easily once any corner is free. You can simply install a big screwdriver blade about the middle of one side and then turn it as if unscrewing a screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 12:31 pm:

Royce - Thanks for the tip, but I made sure every bolt was removed.

Gene - No, the hogs head didn't leak with Right Stuff, but I have to remove it to replace the cams on the low gear pedal.

Dave - I have a heat gun and will use it. I have a torch also, but I'm hesitant to use it for this. I have a really nice aluminum hogs head and don't want to damage it. Maybe I'm a little too cautious, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Hal - You're invited to come and help...we could have a nice visit, and of course, bring Vonnie too. We'll stuff you with Wisconsin beer, cheese and brats, enough to give you a "Wisconsin fix" for quite awhile. :-)

Tom - Thanks for the tip to use Walmart carb. cleaner, I'll do it.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.....now I've got to get to it.

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration