Rivits

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rivits
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 06:27 pm:

Are the rivits for the body to frame mounts and the brake quadrant set hot or cold?
Thanks

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 06:31 pm:

I always set them hot. Others may not.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

Set 'em hot

POR 15 on the frame didn't even get burned all the way off with the torch on the rivet shank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 08:55 pm:

It's best done as a two-man job. One to apply the heat, and the other to swing the hammer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, May 07, 2014 - 09:03 pm:

OK, i will heat them, i have the air tool to form them. Thanks for the help.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 01:32 am:

The idea is that as the rivet cools, it contracts, making it even tighter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 02:33 am:

Squashing the hot rivet also widens it to fill the hole.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 07:47 am:

Steve, I think you should find someone else to hold the torch next time... looks like that fella burned all the hair off the top of your head! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 08:57 am:

LOL Derek, that's good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 10:36 am:

Yup, that one was funny :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 05:12 am:

I buy my rivets from Jim Dix www.bigflatsrivet.com/contact.php
very quick delivery and he has a DVD showing how to install Model T frame rivets. Definitely hot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 04:47 pm:

Gavin - are there no suppliers of T type rivets in New Zealand?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 06:12 pm:

No, there used to be rivets in every hardware store, Now you would be lucky to find pop-rivets. Not even engineering places can get rivets here anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 06:23 pm:

Well we got it done and only screwed up two but they are tight just not very pretty, not hot enough and not enough air pressure, heated the rest until they were ready to melt and put the gun to them with 140 psi and they were done and looked great, no pictures as the frame is at a friends house for now, we also boxed a section of the frame to keep it from bending.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 07:57 pm:

Derek: I stopped and visited with Steve May(2 years ago) and he had been working on his roof of his house, and up that high in the sky it would have been the wind that blew some of it off. As you know Kansas is a windy state, being a bit flat in some area. However it is a bit of rolling hills in Steve's area. Also you might ask him about losing a tire in a wheat field!

Bill D
Redding, Ca.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:18 pm:

Ken.

not that I know of. I do come across the odd jar of rivets at swap meets ( and mostly do buy them) but Jim has a large range and knows exactly what rivets are required for each T application.
He is easy to deal with and quick to deliver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 11:03 pm:

For some applications there are fake rivets that are threaded bolts with a rivet head they are ok for some applications.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

Rick Goelz, it's a bit late now, but I highly recommend NOT boxing a "section" of the frame, either do all of it, or none. By just boxing a section of the frame, you basically have made that portion a box tube that will not flex, it is rigid. The rest of the frame is free to flex as was intended, which will eventually cause cracks to start at the ends of the boxed portion. It may take quite some time, but it will happen. I have seen this many, many times on truck frames that have been lengthened or shortened. JMHO from many years in the welding business. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 11:24 am:

David, thanks but i don't think we will have a problem as the unit we are building is a popcorn truck and probably won't be driven 200 miles per year, it is just something to do, i am 74 and will let the next guy worry about fixing or changing the frame.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 05:58 pm:

<g>. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration