Curious - What Year Coupe Is This?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Curious - What Year Coupe Is This?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 07:49 am:

Sorry guys, I am not knowledgeable with closed bodied 'T's as they are very rare here in Adelaide. What year coupe would this be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 07:53 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 09:15 am:

Just 4 minutes. Wow, that was quick!!!! Royce, that must be some kind of record!!!

Why a 1918 and not a 1919 or 1920 or so. I would love to learn a bit more. Anyone have "Closed Body Model 'T's For Dummies"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 09:27 am:

Just wondering if this one had the demountable rims added later. A lot of T's had the demountable rims added on to make things a little easier for tire changing.
The later Coupe's like my 24 has a cowl vent and the doors hinged at the front instead of the back.

Closed cars later than 23 had a cowl vent, front hinged doors and the 'high radiator' best I can remember for Coupe's anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 09:31 am:

I'll take that nice red Touring off your hands if you're too busy with the Coupe!! What year is that one? an '11? Like you, I'm still learning the years "by looks"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 09:32 am:

The cowl lamps say 1918, but I believe this is a '19 - '22 to which the lamps have been added. It's not unusual for folks to add cowl lamps to an "electric" car to make it "look more like a Model T."

An '18 would have the three door hinges from the beltline down; this car appears to have the top hinge at the top of the door. The demountable-rim wheels didn't appear until the '19 model year. The wheels could have been changed, but the door hinges are the deciding factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 09:37 am:

Also, the pic is a bit fuzzy, but the car appears to have the bail-type door handles. These are easily changed as well, but if they are original to the car it would be a '20 or earlier. The 21's had T-shaped handles, and the 22's and 23's had L-shaped handles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 08:34 pm:

Picture is small and fuzzy, but I think I see three door hinges. I can't make out the bail handles on my monitor. If there was a better resolution picture more could be known. The cowl lamps and body style were only available in 1918 model year.

Like Mike says, the cowl lamps could have been added, in which case any hope of dating it via the single poor photo are pointless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, May 08, 2014 - 09:49 pm:

Royce -- There is a light reflection throughout the mid-section of the door. Clearly, there is no hinge there. The third hinge is at the top of the door, making the car 1919 or later. This is the body style used on 1919 - 1923 Coupes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:20 am:

Since I'm not that familiar with coupes, do I understand correctly that a true 1918 will only have two hinges? Sure would be neat to be able to peer inside to see if it has the twist horn switch, and no instrument panel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:26 am:

Larry -- The '18 Coupelets had 3 hinges, but they were all from the car's beltline down. Go to this thread and scroll down to the 10th post (by Ake Osterdahl) to see some pics.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/354438.html?1365897304#POST515604

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:28 am:

p.s. -- That hinge layout (from the beltline down) applies to all Coupelets, from '15-'18 model years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:53 am:

I just looked at body parts book, yes there would be a hinge at the belt line for the 1919 to 23 Briggs body, Fisher is only listed for 1920. Center hinge listing for 1916 to 1919 does not indicate which body if fits.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration