Reverse polarity on 6 volt ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Reverse polarity on 6 volt ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 12:01 pm:

Went out to ready the vehicle for the tour, battery us dead. The charger says fault , reverse polarity ! Dang. I disconnected the 6 volt battery and the same reverse what caused this ? Was running great. Just had to Polish it up , all I dud was change the comutsrir a week ago , have 30 miles sence then and just picked it up from the muffler shop and drive it back 20 and parked it any ideas thanks. Steve. E. Ps the ann meter reads at /20. But sitting it a bit a reading like 5 not in zero

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 12:19 pm:

Steve,you need to learn how to do spell check so your questions make sense.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 12:41 pm:

Are you sure the charger is hooked up correctly? disconnect the Battery and hook up the charger and then see what if any the error is. I had my battery changed out and they hooked it up backwards (positive ground) I asked why he did that he said all of the old cars were positive ground I educated him then made him put it in correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 12:44 pm:

Possibly two issues here.

First - reverse polarity light on charger. It is telling you that you hooked it up wrong, just swap the leads and all should be OK.

Second - dead battery. What kind of generator/alternator and voltage regulator are you using? An ammeter showing a high charge rate is indicative of the generator working hard to charge a low battery. If all was good a normal case with modern components would be an elevated charge rate for a few moments or minutes right after starting and then the charge rate dropping to near zero. Getting a 30 amp charge rate out of a T generator seems extremely high and I doubt that it could be sustained. Likewise, a 5 amp charge rate at an idle is quite high for a relatively stock T system.

I would charge the battery with the battery charger and once fully charged, check the ammeter readings. It is not kind to an alternator (or generator for that matter) to ask it to recharge a dead or almost dead battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 01:07 pm:

Spell check from I phone sorry, I disconnected the battery and the same. Dead and even changed the leads, and used two different chargers. Dead reverse It ain't let me charge the battery. I'll exchange it then go from there. Maybe take off the new commentator. . Sooty these smart phone change the wording. Plus hard to see

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Elliott on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 01:48 pm:

No warranty on a commercial 6 volt. NAPA, tried to go 8 volt but have to order it, I exchanged it fir a new 6 volt but paid again. Next time I'm back to 12 volt. This ran fine on 6 volt and I have it negative ground. As I remember , but I'll trace my wiring again , thank all for the input. Either way this battery is toast after a year and not much usage I guess the TT doesn't like the new exhaust. It pulled this on me. Or the ghost is back !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 02:10 pm:

I can think of several things. One is if you have a voltage regulator on your generator, it might be working fine but the battery is dead so it puts out full charge. That would be the reason for the 20 amps shown on the ammeter. 6 volts at idle seems high, but if the idle is fast it could be right.

I think the reason for the reading reverse polarity at the charger was because you had the charger leads reversed. If you actually tried to charge the battery with the leads reversed, you might have ruined the battery. If you just put on the leads and it reads reverse, but you didn't try to charge it that way, Reverse the leads. The red lead goes to the + battery terminal and the black lead goes to the - terminal. If the battery is correctly installed the + is connected to the starter and the - is grounded. Some people have reversed the battery, so be sure to check for the + and - before connecting the charger.

Another possibility if you actually have the battery installed backward in the car, and you have a diode cutout, you would have battery current flowing to the generator when the engine is turned off. That would quickly discharge the battery, and it could also burn your ammeter or blow a fuse if you have an inline fuse.

I hope in my efforts to clarify things I have not caused further confusion.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 02:14 pm:

Steve Elliott: I tried several Napa Batteries and never had any luck with them. Consider using Interstate batteries. I know they are a higher cost to buy but mine LAST 12 YEARS OR LONGER, making them cheaper in the long run. At one time I was using 10 interstate batteries with never a problem with them

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 02:48 pm:

Iíll add another possibility to the above comments.
If your battery is indeed dead the automatic polarity
detection cannot start the battery charger unless you
have an override switch on the charger. You may need
to connect a second (same voltage) battery in "parallel"
to the dead one so the charger can sense correct polarity
and charge both batteries for the first few minutes.
Some auto polarity chargers will always show reversed
polarity on a dead battery. Take the battery out of the
car to try the above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 02:03 am:

I only have a minute, so quick comment.
It is possible for a battery to become charged backward if it has become almost completely discharged. So recheck everything carefully. Once polarity gets messed up, other items such as voltage regulators (some types) and generators can also get reversed and continue the problems to a new battery. I am out of town at the moment and will be on the road much of tomorrow and maybe Sunday. If you would like to, give me a call in a day or so if I can help. You should have my number?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration