Six volt halogen bulbs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Six volt halogen bulbs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael sharkey on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 02:47 pm:

I have a 1924 hack. I was wondering if the 6 V halogen bulbs that Langs sells will work in my car and if they are any brighter than the regular bulb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 05:49 pm:

Yes! I have them in my car and they are excellent. Been running them for a year and a half now. Current draw is normal and they work great day or night. Here is a pic from the Santa Clause Parade. Keep in mind that my reflectors are not polished at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael sharkey on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:36 pm:

Thanks Dave . Someone said to me that there is a problem with running them on mag. Is that true ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:43 pm:

I wouldn't dare try them on mag. Mine are hooked to batt. My car has the original 6 volt system, battery and generator. In the above picture, I would have been driving on mag and probably at idle speed. The lights might be a touch brighter if I revved it up a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael sharkey on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 12:15 pm:

Ok. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 02:44 pm:

Michael,

I think there has been some discussion here about the current draw and the amount of watts the standard T generator can safely produce. And over taxing the gen. . It seems Dave is running them with out and problem. Like everything T electrical have a good generator, wiring and battery.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

Yup. At running speed, my ammeter reads about 4 and drops to about 0 with the lights on. Obviously it drops to about -10 at minimum idle with the lights on. A bit higher idle will get you -5 or better. These bulbs were rated at 25 watts to provide decent lighting while going easy on the stock system. I think I once saw 50 watt bulbs somewhere but, there is no way I'm going to beat up my stock system with those.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael sharkey on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 12:02 pm:

Thanks guys i really appreciate it. About 5 miles away from me there is a place that had fireworks every Thursday night in the summer. I want to drive my T to see it. So I figured I would need good lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 12:48 pm:

Make sure you have good lighting in the rear too, two lamps preferred, since most accidents with Model T's seems to be rear endings by inattentive modern drivers. Blinking red bicycle LED's may be formally illegal, but what's worst..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

Roger Karlsson:

Is right!

back light

light on CD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

I use the Flare Alert for the back of all my Ts. I like them so much I am slowly buying one for all of them. They are magnetic and I have never had one fall off yet in daily trips to town. Bike tail lights are good but these are even better. Their address is www.FlareAlert.com. I buy them at a truck supply place.

tail light

They are powered by two AA batteries. If you forget to turn on off and they flash all night, NO Problem they will still flash for days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

I use the Flare Alert for the back of all my Ts. I like them so much I am slowly buying one for all of them. They are magnetic and I have never had one fall off yet in daily trips to town. Bike tail lights are good but these are even better. Their address is www.FlareAlert.com. I buy them at a truck supply place.

tail light

They are powered by two AA batteries. If you forget to turn on off and they flash all night, NO Problem they will still flash for days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 01:53 pm:

I forgot to say that they are many time larger than the bike lights.

tail light

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, May 11, 2014 - 05:56 pm:

I tried their website. They do not sell direct, and the application to tell you where to purchase them in your state does not work.

Perhaps Amazon?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration