More advice needed placement of manifold gaskets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: More advice needed placement of manifold gaskets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 05:37 pm:

Time to stop for the evening. Question really basic . Which side of the steel backed manifold gasket from Snyders goes AGAINST the block? The shiny side or dull and why ?? Thanks just want to do the job correctly

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

Dull side to the block, the manifold needs to be able to move on the metal side with expanding, hot/cold cold/hot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 05:53 pm:

U don't want that kind of gasket unless your manifold is warped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 06:24 pm:

Richard

These gaskets work OK because the individual steel gland rings are in place to fix the manifold ports to the block ports for alignment and support.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 06:57 pm:

tin toward manifold cause the block is cooler and
the mainfold is hot, As Kerry said...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

Those gaskets are the reason so many manifolds are warped! I agree with the above statement, that if the gland rings were used it would have been ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:00 pm:

I agree with Richard and Larry. The copper and the steel split rings work good for me. What really helps when using the rings is that extra pair of hands that a lot of us haven't grown yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 07:28 am:

Thank you all for the answer and explanation Back to work. I want to hear this engine run this weekend !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 07:57 am:

Copper glands and rings work well for me. What is the color of paint on your engine? Never seen that before!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 08:28 am:

I've seen it on UPS trucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 08:30 am:

Tom someone in the past painted the entire car and I mean the entire car bright YELLOW, engine, wiring everything I just put a primer coat on until I get it running Then I will change out and put all new wiring in after the car gets repainted so I do not need to worry about over spray on the wiring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 09:34 am:

FWIW, I tried, and LOVE the copper manifold gaskets..the type that are a ring and gland all in one. Cost a bit more, but they really work well.
P.N. T-3063-CR, $27.50 for the set, at Snyders.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 10:07 am:

I have an old set of the above gaskets. They are in a Fitzgerald box. If you have two old manifold clamps that you don't mind cutting off, cut a portion off each one next to the hole. That will give you the extra set of hands. Also, when attaching the exhaust pipe, get it snug, and then work it back an forth while tightening the pack nut,and you will feel it seat against the manifold. It won't come loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

Larry beat me to it - by nearly 11 hours. Exhaust leaks and intake leaks are greatly minimized by first installing the exhaust manifold (4 'ports') by snapping the 4holes over the steel glands. Then apply a cut-down manifold clamp on the front and rear 3/8" studs. Now, with your hands free, snap the intake manifold over it's 2 steel glands and secure it there with the full length manifold clamps and simply replace the cut-down clamps with full length clamps and you're done !

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration