Hub bolt torque....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Hub bolt torque....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 05:56 pm:

Anyone have a idea as to how much torque the hub bolts should have on a wooden wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 06:02 pm:

You don't want to crush the wood fibers and there is no set torque.I just tighten them and the snug down a bit more.Watch the front plate as it will dig in if you tighten on one bolt only.Use a cross-over pattern to tighten.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 06:36 pm:

Don-
Please use the correct hub bolts. NOT just carriage bolts from the hardware store.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 07:59 pm:

We are getting the bolts from langs. I already did my wheels this past winter but have to do another car. I did as Jack states on my wheels but was wondering if anyone knew of a specific torque recommendation. Thx for the info..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

Just snug tight with a 10" wrench.

Then peen or stake over the bolt ends to retain the nut.

Factory peen on bolts, makes it a bit hard to remove, and requires new bolts and nuts again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 09:47 pm:

Depending on where you live, you may have large seasonal changes in humidity. Jack gave you good advice. If your doing them now, I would also check them in the middle of the winter. Small airplanes with wooden props have the same issue. By all means, no matter whether you check them now or in the winter do as Jack mentioned and do not over tighten. If you crush wood fiber they will be loose sooner than you can imagine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 09, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

And, please use the correct nuts which are 11/16 across the flats. I think they are called jamb nuts.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration